Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Above or below
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 24, 16 10:07 am    Re: Thanks Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
It's not pulling of the depower line, it's getting it loose from the cleat. I have strong hands but maybe I am just getting old. Very Happy

I make my own double depower rope as detailed in one of Naks post.
I find the double rope is much easier to uncleat.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 24, 16 10:27 am    Depower Reply with quote

This is not about pulling the depower line down. Its about getting the dam rope to even come out of the cleat.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostWed Aug 24, 16 10:52 am    Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
wannabekiter wrote:
It's not pulling of the depower line, it's getting it loose from the cleat.

Make sure you're not letting the grab handle go all the way out so it's sitting directly on top of the cleat. Always leave at least 1/2 inch - inch of depower rope to help with your pull.

If you're depowering more than 6 inches...you've rigged too big. I set all my bars at 1 inch and never touch them again as I've never thought you get that much depower from that adjustment point and no worries about rope wrap etc. For me personally a lot of depower makes your power curve peaky and more difficult to manage smoothly. For beginners this is difficult because in your mind you're thinking the more depower you have...the mellower the kite is. Not so.

Most helpful post ever. Thanks!

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 24, 16 11:00 am    Whaaa?? Reply with quote

You can depower kites??

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostWed Aug 24, 16 11:01 am     Reply with quote

Also, on all the slingshot bars I've had, it's almost impossible to get the rope out of the cleat if you pull any direction except for straight back (parallel to the power line). I switched to above the bar for one bar for this exact reason and hated it, switching back to below bar depower.

Sometimes it's a little tight to get leverage (even harder with the RE Harness rope spreader) but it's still better than the various nonsense that goes with the above bar (reaching, wraps, knots, flopping, whacking various body parts, etc). Just make sure you're pulling the depower line towards somewhere between your junk and your navel to get it out of the cleat.

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 24, 16 11:52 am     Reply with quote

I prefer above the bar depower as there is a much better advantage on leverage. I've been riding with an above the bar cleated depower for well over 6 years and have never had a "problem" (I have had the depower rope wrap around an outside line but since there is no directional pull on it it's been easy to untangle.) There is a couple of techniques to release the tension on the below the bar depower as others have stated. I would practice these techniques in light wind or just while holding the lines while the other person practices.

Things to consider as others may have stated:

For shorter arms you'll need to bring the block down closer so that the depower is reachable. This does limit your throw a bit but allows you to reach easier.

Dangling ropes on both systems are not good. Below the bar it can wrap around your safety release and cause it to malfunction. Above and it can potentially wrap around an outside line which is also not good. Taking the time to properly tune your kite should eliminate any dangling rope issues and can help with a more "set it and forget it" option.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 28, 16 6:24 pm    Depower Reply with quote

Well, out riding in the shit show known as the event site today on a 12m. My depower worked great. I had no problem pulling the depower handle while riding. It was actually easier while riding vs standing in the water. Come on labor day Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: