Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: wave surfing inflatable SUP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sauve

Since 19 Mar 2009
97 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 17, 16 8:47 am    OT: wave surfing inflatable SUP? Reply with quote

I'm off kiting while I rehab my back and ready for a SUP board for some water time/exercise/rehab. What I really want is an inflatable to take on smaller rivers like the klickitat and deschutes, but I can't see getting a board that I couldn't take on a downwinder from viento once I get my skillz up. From what I have heard, it is usually one or the other when it comes to choosing a board.

What are your opinions? Do any boards meet both needs? Are there inflatables that can ride river swell on a downwinder? Am I asking to have my cake and eat it too??? Wink

Thanks

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1472 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 17, 16 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Go talk to TJ at Big Winds.
He's very active doing SUP downwinders and also paddling the local rivers on a SUP.
He's also a great kiter and very honest about gear.

Last edited by ldhr on Wed Aug 17, 16 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 17, 16 11:19 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Go talk to TJ at Big Winds.
He's very active doing SUP downwinders and also paddling the local rivers on a SUP.
He's also a great kiter and vert honest about gear.

Ditto, TJ is a solid guy. And yes, I think you want your cake and want to eat it too.

Sauve

Since 19 Mar 2009
97 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Aug 18, 16 7:19 am     Reply with quote

Right on. I believe I have met TJ at some point, seemed like a nice guy Smile I'll swing by sometime. Thanks

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 18, 16 7:49 am     Reply with quote

Speaking of SUP surfing...

Who was the hombre that came streaking down the river, yesterday, by Wells Island, at the peak of the wind storm ( 20 to 35 MPH)... going like hell on a SUP raised up (most of the time) on a hydrofoil? The last time I saw anything like that was off the North Shore of Maui...

Could it have been "TJ" ... or is Kai or Connor in town?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1472 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 18, 16 7:55 am     Reply with quote

kitezilla wrote:
Speaking of SUP surfing...

Who was the hombre that came streaking down the river, yesterday, by Wells Island, at the peak of the wind storm ( 20 to 35 MPH)... going like hell on a SUP raised up (most of the time) on a hydrofoil? The last time I saw anything like that was off the North Shore of Maui...

Could it have been "TJ" ... or is Kai or Connor in town?

The circus is in town - SUP race this coming weekend.
http://www.supthemag.com/videos/go-foiling-columbia-river-gorge/?sf33613470=1#us2evQDqGdOOd9oA.97

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 18, 16 8:27 am     Reply with quote

I saw a short foil sup come through the Hatch swell zone yesterday at noonish. He was on a short sup--7 ft?--and was killing it! I followed him for about 1/2 mile. Super cool.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 18, 16 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Think it might have been Chuck Patterson.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 18, 16 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

The person I saw was not Chuck. It would be hard to mistake him for anyone else...

zipperline

Since 02 Aug 2005
66 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Aug 18, 16 11:53 pm     Reply with quote

Alex Aguera..... Legend in all wind driven sports. Godfather and inovator.

Respect should be given to his Go Foil program. Re writing the books on what is for sure to come.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Aug 19, 16 7:20 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
The person I saw was not Chuck. It would be hard to mistake him for anyone else...

Zane Schweitzer foiling the Hatchery this past week.

https://www.facebook.com/ZaneKekoaSchweitzer/videos/1066752763400813/

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 19, 16 10:37 am     Reply with quote

I guess it was Zane

http://www.theinertia.com/mountain/watch-zane-schweitzer-shred-downwind-swell-on-the-columbia-river/#modal-close

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 19, 16 8:48 pm     Reply with quote

There were some super young kids foiling up at swell city last weekend. These guys were just killing it, getting in foil then coming back around and foiling up wind to catch another. It was really impressive.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Aug 20, 16 2:47 am     Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/alex.aguera.1/posts/1140231819381134

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 22, 16 7:29 am    Not so good. Reply with quote

One day a year or so ago I sat at Ukumehame beach next to the Naish pro SUP team. They were doing a demo day trying out all of the upcoming years new inflatable SUP models. There were 2-3 foot waves and it was clean and nice. Not one of the pro riders could ride a wave well on any of the inflatable models. it has been my observation as well as experience that they just do not work well on waves of any sort. Seems like inflatable SUP's are for rivers with rocks and people with tiny cars and living quarters.

kitenomad

Since 09 Aug 2016
10 Posts

PostMon Aug 22, 16 9:22 am    Re: Not so good. Reply with quote

1surfer wrote:
One day a year or so ago I sat at Ukumehame beach next to the Naish pro SUP team. They were doing a demo day trying out all of the upcoming years new inflatable SUP models. There were 2-3 foot waves and it was clean and nice. Not one of the pro riders could ride a wave well on any of the inflatable models. it has been my observation as well as experience that they just do not work well on waves of any sort. Seems like inflatable SUP's are for rivers with rocks and people with tiny cars and living quarters.

I would believe so.. not enough stiffness for real waves.

But you should define how big of a wave you want to ride. I'd say up to and max 1m with inflatable is OK.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: