Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

how far can u swim in 41 deg
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 07, 07 1:34 pm    how far can u swim in 41 deg Reply with quote

halfway across at rooster. 30 min. couldnt have gone much farther. big thanx to greg tecco for pulling my kite in. My advice, if u go out this time of year, dress for the swim, not the air temp.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 07, 07 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

damn... what were you wearing?

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostWed Mar 07, 07 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

glad you made it out OK yesterday mark...sounded like a close call

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Mar 07, 07 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

sketch

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Mar 07, 07 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

I wouldn't be caught dead in anything less than a 6mm full hood, and 5mm booties when the mf'ing water temp is only 40 degrees. Of course, i wouldn't wear anything other than my 6mm w/ full hood and 5mm booties in the 50 degree ocean water either. Much smarter to be a little too warm, than too f'ing cold.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Mar 07, 07 2:01 pm     Reply with quote

Brrrrrrrrrurly. Serious shit how quick that cold water can zap your energy. Monday was my first session without the drysuit - and the 4/3 wasn't cutting it. Just walking upwind in knee deep water for 5 minutes started to sting - and I was wearing 7mm booties.

Were all glad you're still Dangling (shrinkage understandable Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy )

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Mar 07, 07 2:19 pm     Reply with quote

close one dude.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Mar 07, 07 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Way to power it back in D! Thumb's Up

Good reminder to all. My toes were numb as soon as I got out of the car last Sunday! I pretty much stayed in the lagoon knowing that if I bit-it out in the channel it could get ugly fast.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
780 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostWed Mar 07, 07 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Glad you made it back.

I too am curious what you wear wearing. Maybe a lifejacket could have helped?

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 07, 07 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

i was wearing a 5 4 3 booties {left the gloves in the van} had a hood but had pulled it back.{warm day} and forgot to put it back up. never really felt in trouble but when I got in had trouble walking and shivered for an hour. My biggest mistake was I SHOULD HAVE HAD GREG PULL ME IN -Not my kite! The kite was a liability because the leading edge blew. Greg had a tough time getting just the kite in, and the wind was dying. I was pretty bummed when I saw his kite go down, cause I,ve done that swim before. Got in before the end of the park, but only by a little and past that it gets really tough. Thanx again Tecco, what beer do you drink!

As a final thought Save your Skin First. Gear aint cheap, but life is all too short.

Anyone else have any cold water stories???

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 07, 07 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

Glad you made it back OK!!!

Nak

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 07, 07 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

I self rescued for about 15-20 minutes in Lake Washington in late November after breaking two lines. Was wearing a 5/3 with no hood, gloves, or booties and I think the water temp was about 45. Couldn't walk well because my feet were numb. Wasn't to bad and I wasn't in pain. I didn't really know any better.

wyolitup

Since 02 Oct 2006
9 Posts

Kook

PostWed Mar 07, 07 9:12 pm    brrrrrrrr Reply with quote

Wind switched and droped to 3-5 mph water temp was week after Ice out' self rescue to opposite shore hour and ten, Saving grace GORE-TEX DRY SUIT was hot from swimming when I got out. The best piece of equip. I have ever purchaced!!! You guys could ride all winter in the gorge in one of these suits!!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostThu Mar 08, 07 7:25 am    the ocean Reply with quote

The Ocean is a lot warmer, in the winter than other waters ,
dry suits are fine if you are close in but if a hole or zipper failure occurs
there would be no back up Embarassed
the time it takes for your extremities to quit working is very short
and it's hard to swim with arms that just hang there Crying or Very sad

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Mar 08, 07 8:18 am    Re: the ocean Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:
The Ocean is a lot warmer, in the winter than other waters ,
dry suits are fine if you are close in but if a hole or zipper failure occurs
there would be no back up Embarassed
the time it takes for your extremities to quit working is very short
and it's hard to swim with arms that just hang there Crying or Very sad

Blowhard is right on - when I wear my drysuit in the ocean - I pretty much stay on the inside or under head-high surf - a 5/4 is a better idea - blow a neck gasket in a big wave and you're in a world of hurt - think sea anchor.

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostThu Mar 08, 07 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Yeah. Too bad the wind shut off. I think we would have been good to go otherwise.. as I had the kite close enough to shore and would have been able to make it back for you.

I would have thought though, that one of the other guys out would have seen the situation and offered you a little assistance. Nothing against those guys, as it is definitely not safe for people who are not comfortable to attempt rescue stuff... but I dind't think I was leaving you alone in the river when I dragged your kite in first.

I was actually very surprised, after the wind died and I had to ditch your kite to swim in with mine.. to see you swimming in right there too. I would have thought you would have made it at least by the last jetty, where you can still stand and walk in.

At least we all got in and didn't even lose any gear.

Good reason to remember murphy's law of kiteboarding:

If and when something goes wrong, it will happen when you are the farthest out and already tired. Good reason to keep closer to shore when it is cold this time of year... because as we saw.. this was the case.

Since I have moved here to the NW I have been amazed at the lack of kiter assistance and rescue towards each other. Mostly during times when I have pulled up to aid someone and they claim they'de rather swim in, with all their gear, from the middle of the channel.. than have me drag their kite or board in. Then there are other times.. when I have broken a leash, lost a kite and just wished that one of the 10 or more riders would at least have the ability to see there was a problem (loose kite tumbling downwind without rider) and maybe come to check up on me.

As I mentioned before, I realize that for the majority of riders, they don't have the skills or confidence to assist in a kite rescue. I respect that and wouldn't expect people to put themselves in danger, as the first rule in any rescue is to preserve the safety of the recuers.

But.. with that said... anyone who rides the river in the winter and can stay up wind has at least enough skills to notice an emergency and at least ride down to speak with the downed rider. Sometimes, there is nothing you can do, but the fact that you are nearby and at least aware of the guy swimming, gives that guy the added encouragement that somebody notices and is keeping an eye on them. That also allows everyone else, on the beach, etc to see where you are, because the kiter that is just there for support can be seen (kite in sky) , pinpointing the downed guy in black wetsuit in black water from a distance he wouldn't have otherwise been seen.

It sucks (I know this from experience) to be the guy swimming, gasping for breath and taking waves over the head.. just to look up and see other riders less than 100m away who seem oblivious to the problem. Just having those few words of encouragement can add to the adrenaline and confidence needed to get a second wind and keep swimming.

We all still need help at some time.. let's start by building the karma and helping others when they are in need, so maybe someone will be there for us when we need it.

Maybe it's where people come from and what sports they have done before. As a whitewater kayaker... you just know that you are responsible for those you paddle with and often choose who you paddle with because of who will be there if you need the help. I have been in situations that would have ended with less people returning alive if it hadn't been for the others in the group.

Maybe it's how you get into the sport... when I started riding we were all on 2 line Wipi's with no leash or depower. Kites were let go of on a daily basis.. and yet riding in groups of at least 3 it was common to have someone chase and grab the kite and some one esle tow the rider down to it.. most often getting them to the bar and they would relaunch and carry on. We did this daily!

Seems that as the gear has gotten 'safer' and the sport has gotten bigger it allows people to be more complacent with TRUE safety, which is not a system or quick release, but rather the ability to keep your eyes on your bro's... even if you don't know them. If you are down and hypothermic, it doen't matter who is there when you look up.. from that moment on- they're your bro, because they're there, and they care.

Sorry for the rant. I realize this is an individual sport and we all accept the risks and consequences of our actions.. but that doesn't mean we can't keep an eye on each other.

Someone is going to die in this river kiting in early or late season temps... at that moment, it will effect all of us, the community and the sport. I at least am not going to be the guy that was there that day and will look back and ask, if I had just kept an eye on that guy... we wouldn't have lost him...

Mark was Hypothermic when he made it to shore. His limbs were already numbing and it was already effecting his speech. He was ok because at that point we was on shore and able to start warming. Yet, if he had been a bit farther out, or the current had been much stronger... He probably didn't have another 20min of swim energy in him, nor would his arms and legs have kept working that long.

Mark- not much of a beer guy, so don't worry about it. I did enjoy the warmth and safety of the van post session though...

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Mar 08, 07 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Tekko is speaking the truth.

It's paramount for us all to look out for each other, especially when the water is dangerously cold.

Karma is a biattch and we all need a helping hand sometimes.

Do the right thing, check on someone if they are down and might be in trouble.

Don't go kiting solo early season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: