Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More launches needed.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

There is also a saweet disc golf course in and around the mountain bike course. Its a great recreation spot

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 8:22 pm    Oregon Windsports State Park Reply with quote

The plans for an Oregon State Park for windsports was on the table back 10 years ago when an opportunity came up to acquire the largest river front property in the Scenic Area. Ameri Ties owns the property at Wyeth (including a beautiful bridge to cross the RR tracks) and was in negotiations with the DEQ to sell the property to the State of Oregon Parks for $1 in exchange for minimal clean-up of the old RR tie manufacturing property.

This site is upwind of the narrows and immediately across from Wind Mt. Those that have done the Blow-Out know how good this section of the river is.

Like other “cleaned-up” sites in the area, a paved parking lot and 3’ of imported sand covers up the toxic contaminants to a level that is relatively safe for kiters and windsurfers. It was a win-win, but as property values in the Region continued to go up, Ameri Ties decided to not sell and hang onto the liability. (probably figuring that taxpayers will fund the clean-up at some point in the future). That plus our good buddy Dan, who was spearheading the deal, suddenly died of a brain tumor.

Wyeth.JPG 

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

Wow , looks like a natural spot PDX peeps would love this. Would save them 13 miles x2
Would want to try this spot as well

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Aug 10, 16 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

The plain and simple truth is a safe location to launch and land kites determines whether it is a kiting spot. The Columbia River has tons of kiteable water, but most of the shoreline is rocky or tree lined so safe access to the water is limited. Environmental regulations will probably restrict what can be developed into kite launching areas. Thus, there is probably not going to be many new spots popping up in the near future. This is one aspect that sailboarding has over kiting in that they have way more safe access to the river than kiters will ever have in comparison. Good luck with the search more kiting expansion on the river as the demand is certainly exceeding the supply.

Some of the more ingenious kiters might want to return to the idea of yesteryear's reel bar or some variation of it and rethink that design. That would certainly open up many spots which are currently not considered safe to launch and land kites.

Question

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 11, 16 6:56 am    Reel Bar Reply with quote

Rumor has it that North is coming out with a reel bar in 2017.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 11, 16 9:01 am    Re: Reel Bar Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:

Whoah!! Count me in. Between Jan-May I live on Mexico a beach filled with tourists. I can never find 20m of open sand. Can't wait to see this technology advance. Especially if it can happen under 6 pounds Smile

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Aug 11, 16 9:34 am    Re: Reel Bar Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:

I still have a Reel bar from 1998 and 2-line 11M Wipika. It's the bomb for clutching out those lines. Very Happy

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 11, 16 10:00 am     Reply with quote

My kite buddy and I tried Stevenson yesterday. Fun place to kite, but the launch/landing was pretty technical and a bit intimidating. I consider myself to have solid kite flying skills, but I still had some minor problems landing (many thanks to the ground crew!).

I kited over towards Blackberry Beach, but hit a significant wind shadow as I got close to shore on the OR side, so I didn't make it all the way over to shore.

We also checked out Home Valley, which was an OK windsurfing spot "back in the day". Was pretty sad looking with some reddish slime and mudflats. Wind line was quite a ways out.

Launching on a river is a unique challenge!
Bob

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Aug 11, 16 10:44 am     Reply with quote

bobgatpdx wrote:
My kite buddy and I tried Stevenson yesterday. Fun place to kite, but the launch/landing was pretty technical and a bit intimidating. I consider myself to have solid kite flying skills, but I still had some minor problems landing (many thanks to the ground crew!).

Thumb's Up Nice score Bob. The Stevie ground crew is always a "Best of the Gorge" winner.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Aug 11, 16 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

Not to be a buzz kill but Stevenson is a advanced launch. Make sure your skills are good. If not, there are much better, safer spots to kite from.

www.naishkites.com

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 11, 16 3:27 pm    rowena Reply with quote

This is good. This a subject that will need to be addressed. More and more are getting into kiting. Its just too fun and easy to learn.
I think Rowena Is the logical choice to focus on. It has parking, a bath room and afternoon wind for the working crowd. The more people who park there the more the state makes.
If the bushes and weeds were cut down and 3/4 minus rock was spread on the beach it would make it a decent launch for experienced kiters.
I would volunteer to talk to the right people but I am not PC enough. Somebody with a calm polite demeanor would be great. That rules me out. Very Happy

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 12, 16 8:11 am    Re: rowena Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
...and easy to learn.

Exsqueezeme?

Jerri mentioned you guys looked at a Waverunner last week. Once you get one of those, there are a few more opportunities.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 12, 16 9:42 am    jet ski Reply with quote

She changed her mind when she found out I would not pay for it. LOL
Flat water right now -surfing at lunch.

Last edited by wannabekiter on Fri Aug 12, 16 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 12, 16 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Going to haul the Craft over tomorrow. Looks like no wind until later in the day (as best as I can tell anyway).

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostFri Aug 12, 16 10:42 am     Reply with quote

The wind park near the narrows sounds good although often its lighter there and would not have nearly as many days as HR and eastward. I remember lots of rocks at Rowena from windsurfing, but there are some nice swells as you go downwind towards Doug's.

I am an intermediate kiter and haven't launched at Stevenson due to the rocky launch. In the gorge I often plan to try the wunderbar launch but it's usually easy to kite there from the sandbar so it's hard to rationalize paying the toll and it's convenient and user-friendly at ES. I always mean to try Lyle but each time it's hard to pass up ES in decent - great conditions.

However I am sure things will get much more crowded over the next ten years. We will need some solutions. Maybe something at Doug's? I think a railroad crossing is a major hurdle, too.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 12, 16 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

Don't encourage your friends to take up kiting.
Don't have children.
Stop posting about semi-secret spots.
Bam!! problem solved.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 12, 16 7:44 pm    problem solved Reply with quote

My friends already kite. I don't have any kids and not going too. And I never talk about semi secret spots kiting or mt biking or any thing else. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: