Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More launches needed.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 8:02 am     Reply with quote

unbob wrote:
ldhr wrote:
It would be nice to have a legit user friendly launch in the Rowena - Doug's corridor.
Agreed, need more launch spots!

So, whatever happened to the rumored new Oregon SP that was "under study" some years ago? Located just NW of the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center & Museum. Beautiful sand beach. Haven't explored the spot myself but others have. And people do launch there now. Looking across the river from the WA side it appears to be a fantastic spot with much potential. Of course, the RR tracks would have to be crossed to gain access and that's always a major project to achieve (how long did it take to get a crossing at Viento?).

Anyone know anything re this spot possibly being developed?

Most of the info I have is 2nd hand... so don't take this to the bank.

It is my understanding that there was considerable political will to look at developing this area however the large costs for development of a freeway on/off ramp as well as a rail road crossing took this location off the list.

I did talk to someone affiliated with the National Parks (owner of property) and they suggested that Rowena would likely be the only possibility for a legit kiteboarding launch location. This same individual suggested there was a particular strain of grass that only grows in the area you were describing which might also halt any potential development.

It should also be noted that off and on over the years many tickets have been handed out at the location you have described. When the cars build up, the tickets start flowing...

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 9:03 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
unbob wrote:
ldhr wrote:
It would be nice to have a legit user friendly launch in the Rowena - Doug's corridor.
Agreed, need more launch spots!

So, whatever happened to the rumored new Oregon SP that was "under study" some years ago? Located just NW of the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center & Museum. Beautiful sand beach. Haven't explored the spot myself but others have. And people do launch there now. Looking across the river from the WA side it appears to be a fantastic spot with much potential. Of course, the RR tracks would have to be crossed to gain access and that's always a major project to achieve (how long did it take to get a crossing at Viento?).

Anyone know anything re this spot possibly being developed?

Most of the info I have is 2nd hand... so don't take this to the bank.

It is my understanding that there was considerable political will to look at developing this area however the large costs for development of a freeway on/off ramp as well as a rail road crossing took this location off the list.

I did talk to someone affiliated with the National Parks (owner of property) and they suggested that Rowena would likely be the only possibility for a legit kiteboarding launch location. This same individual suggested there was a particular strain of grass that only grows in the area you were describing which might also halt any potential development.

It should also be noted that off and on over the years many tickets have been handed out at the location you have described. When the cars build up, the tickets start flowing...

Yea, that's "Secret Beach". Not really a secret. Often used by locals and the boathouse crowd as a place to beach/anchor boats and hang out. Probably not super viable due to the boat crowd on warm sunny weekends.

I've been wanting to scout two possible spots in my neck of the woods. I'll have to hit someone up for a hand held, or I suppose I could just fashion a simple wind vane. The wind nukes and the water remains relatively flat. Shallow way out at spot #1, but I'm guessing the wind direction is flukey and fishing boats rule the day many times during the year (stepping on lost tackle may be an issue). The other, which is deeper, but a large sandy beach, is only accessible by watercraft (or, one long reach from sight #1 (again, if the wind isn't too flukey, which I suspect it is)). Bend in the river and land, so both really are likely too flukey, so not holding my breath. On the upside, lots of good parking and the RR tracks are avoidable, but there's a hike involved. Rigging at Site#1 is questionable.

Way, way, way back in the day, we would occasionally sail at Elevators. I'm getting old as I can't recall if there were some issues there or not (old pilings perhaps, maybe some steel or cable in the water). I never really liked it that much (launch-wise) as Rufus was just easier. As far as I know, there were only a handful of us that ever sailed out of there and I haven't seen anyone sail from that spot in decades (literally). We were never chased out of there by MCP (company that operates the grain elevators) and I'm friends with the current Prez, so I'll give it a scout for the team. I can't imagine it is the least bit kite friendly and there used to be a grain barge parked off shore (not sure if they still do that as I haven't paid attention - Ha, anyone remember when their grain barge got loose from its moorings around '94 (?) and ended up upside down near the mouth of the Deschutes (gold star if you do)). The wind was good at Elevators, real good, but with the close prox of the Biggs Bridge, and likely miserable launch/rigging area, it's probably a non-starter for kites (but like I said, I'll check it out).

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 10, 16 9:10 am     Reply with quote

deminimis wrote:

Way, way, way back in the day, we would occasionally sail at Elevators.

And has anyone ever tried "Mercury Cove"? Half-way to Roosevelt in a very clean reach of wind & swell.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 9:11 am     Reply with quote

Actually, the bridge is about .5 mile downwind of the launch and the parked barges are out of the way. Parking for a few cars. (Elevators).

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 10, 16 9:25 am     Reply with quote

Elevators is a decent windsurfing spot.
If the wind is crappy in the Rufus/Wall stretch - Elevators can sometimes be good.
I wouldn't want to encourage people to launch a kite there..... there's no beach and you would have to launch on the gravel road and enter the water via slimy rocks.
I'm also guessing that it's private property and who in their right mind would allow kiters to launch on their private land?

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone tired Avery? It has always seemed under utilized. Not much for swell and then there's Avery Island (Brown's Island) to contend with, but you'd have the spot to yourself.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 9:56 am     Reply with quote

Another possible spot to scout is on the WA side. We'll call it Deminimis Point. Cross over at Biggs, take a left at the fruit stands and follow the gravel road west towards Miller Island. Most, if not all, of the point has a steep shoreline. There is one cove, but even that looks like pure ragged basalt hell. If the oak and rattlesnakes don't get you, the basalt will. I'm sure it's a non-starter, but worth an evening cruise to check it out.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 10:45 am     Reply with quote

deminimis wrote:
Another possible spot to scout is on the WA side. We'll call it Deminimis Point. Cross over at Biggs, take a left at the fruit stands and follow the gravel road west towards Miller Island. Most, if not all, of the point has a steep shoreline. There is one cove, but even that looks like pure ragged basalt hell. If the oak and rattlesnakes don't get you, the basalt will. I'm sure it's a non-starter, but worth an evening cruise to check it out.

I have scouted that spot, but never launched there.

It is magical (and legal I believe as you are between the railroad and the river). Very pretty rock formations. There is a launchable spot with a vehicle turnaround near the end of the road. There is a 15' swatch of a boatramp between the weeds you could walk down with your kite. The launch area could probably only handle a handful of vehicles though.

Be very aware, this is on the back side of the most turbulent wind stream in the entire gorge region. You are on the North side of the island just east of Celilo.

The day I scouted it was probably gusting 40 at Rufus. There was enough wind to launch at the site and the water was very flat (probably a twinny delight).

But... Occasionally a weird swirl would come about... and if your kite goes down you will be floating in the current through the rapid island stream into a very difficult situation... Also, you would float into a wicked wind tunnel. I drove around the corner just past the launch spot and the wind was howling. There is just no launch spot as you would have to walk down a rock ledge from the road. The road stops at this point.

Might make a good downwinder to Rufus assuming you can go under the bridge (which is very tall).

Not a place for beginners.

You should be comfortable looping your kite on a regular basis before considering launching at this location.

Last edited by bigjohn on Wed Aug 10, 16 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 10:49 am    Imagine, pray, karma Reply with quote

Imagine if there was no Hood River Sandbar or Underwood Sandbar. For almost 10 years we kited in The Gorge before the existence of the HR Sandbar and we kited for 15 years without the Wunderbar. Both appeared when we needed them. Keep on the positive side of karma and everything will work out.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:21 am     Reply with quote

deminimis wrote:
Has anyone tired Avery? It has always seemed under utilized. Not much for swell and then there's Avery Island (Brown's Island) to contend with, but you'd have the spot to yourself.

You'd still have to share with windsurfers...

I have scouted this as well. In fact, I even took a buddy over there with me to go...

My buddy decided he didn't like my launch options. Thus we decided to go elsewhere.

I see a number of different launch options depending upon river height and weeds. However no "great" options.

I've always wanted to kite the swell on the South side of Avery island.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:25 am     Reply with quote

^^I don't drive by there as much as I used to (I only drive by a few times a week), but I never see anyone sailing out of there anymore.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:32 am     Reply with quote

deminimis wrote:
^^I don't drive by there as much as I used to (I only drive by a few times a week), but I never see anyone sailing out of there anymore.

The day I was scouting (on my way back from Rufus) there was a windsurfer rigging. We chatted a bit. He said he goes there pretty regularly.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:36 am    Bingen ? Reply with quote

There were CGKA efforts to make this site more usable .

A few challenges but never see anyone kiting here . Nice grassy area for rigging for sure.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Back to Elevators. MCP leases the land from the Corps. Okay to kite/sail out of there, but I would have to agree with Idhr and think it would be a real drag.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:37 am    Re: Imagine, pray, karma Reply with quote

luke wrote:
Imagine if there was no Hood River Sandbar or Underwood Sandbar. For almost 10 years we kited in The Gorge before the existence of the HR Sandbar and we kited for 15 years without the Wunderbar. Both appeared when we needed them. Keep on the positive side of karma and everything will work out.

Great point......karma came November 7th, 2006 in the form of 760,000 cubic yards of debris --enough to fill the beds of about 375,000 full-sized pickups as Mother Nature forever changed the kite scene.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Aug 10, 16 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I'm not seeing the craziness that is often referenced.

Crazy? No. Crowded? Yes. 100 yards in any direction from the launch and everything opens up nicely.

Eric
Hood River

Eric - I quit riding at Hood River almost a decade ago because even back then it was slowly turning into a shit show. I have a good friend of mine who has asked me to give it another try. So in the last three weeks I have kited Hood River four times. Let me share with you what I have seen in four visits to Hood River in the last three weeks.

- I watched one guy launch and then get picked up like 10 feet and then slammed into the ground - went limp and got rag dolled for at least another 20 yards or so. he got carted off by an ambulance.

- I have personally had to jump on two kiters that were getting dirty super manned down the beach. You don't want the dirty super men taking out unsuspecting kiters.

- I watched two kiters not know what they were doing when they were launching and the person attached to the kite was getting dragged. this process was repeated a couple of times. It was a day when it was lulling 10 and gusting to 30 - and south part of the sand spit was very crowded. I didn't want to see anyone get hurt so I offered to assist. I got yelled at. I was like, OK, whatever, just don't take anyone out please.

- On the same day when it was blowing 10 to 30 I watched a guy try and self land. he failed. Then handed the chicken loop over to his like 8 year old daughter. I was like WTF? Big gust came and ripped the kite out of the girl's hands. The little girl got picked up but only went flying a foot or two before she let go. Kite went down the beach. Fortunately he caught it before the kite took anyone out.

- My buddy got super tomahawked with a 12M. Knocked him flat on his belly. Fortunately he is a durable dude.

- I watched a group of kiters struggling to get away from the sand bar. one guy was more intent on the others and just tried to bull his way through, got himself wrapped in another kiter's lines. The guy doing the bullying started yelling at the other guy. They worked it out. The bully then proceeded to head out not giving a shit about how close he came to other kiters - almost repeated the incident with someone taking a lesson.

Eric - I'm guessing you don't spend much time on the sand bar - if you don't believe me, grab some beers, lawn chair, show up on a saturday and just enjoy the show. Just try to stay out of the tomahawk zone.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

The event site will always be crowded June-Aug, especially on weekends because 1) sand bar to catch beginners that drift downwind 2) proximity to portland and PDX airport 3) hood river has a lot to offer for non kiters and after-kiting activities. Moto is right though, it is a shit show at the sandbar especially on the weekends. Although except on the most crowded days, the mayhem can usually be avoided by launching from the north end of the sandbar and then heading immediately upwind after launching. Also, I've never understood why schools insist on giving lessons right in the launch/land zone in front of the sandbar. At $100+/hr students should insist on jet-ski assist in a non-crowded part of the river.

Blackberry beach and the area around Cascade Locks still has a lot of promise for an alternative launch. It's too bad this launch never took off. It's closer to Portland than Hood River and Cascade Locks seems like a town that would really benefit from additional tourist traffic. The wind in this stretch of the river is cleaner than at the event site. There are even mountain biking trails near the launch that are underutilized and have become overgrown with the lack of traffic. For those that tried this launch before it got re-infested with blackberries, was it an east wind only launch, or is it possible to do west wind launch here too? Has anyone successfully launched from that location recently?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: