Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Kiter Looking for Practice Buddies @ Jones Beach
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
niwotguy

Since 02 Aug 2016
1 Posts

PostWed Aug 03, 16 8:16 pm    New Kiter Looking for Practice Buddies @ Jones Beach Reply with quote

This is my first season kiteboarding, and I'm looking to meet other kiters who would be willing to meet up at Jones Beach when our schedules match. My hope is to make it on the water at least 1x or 2x per week and help each other out when needed (launch, land, rescue assistance if needed). I've had some great lessons, and now need to practice - I'm hoping a few buddies will keep me motivated and safer in the water. My longest ride has only been 6 or 7 seconds if that helps give a better idea of my skill level. If you live in the Vancouver area - maybe we could even carpool when it works out. So happy to be doing something so fun and challenging - thanks for reading my post!

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostThu Aug 04, 16 7:36 am     Reply with quote

What kites / sizes do you have?

edcinfg

Since 17 Aug 2015
34 Posts
United States

PostThu Aug 04, 16 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

Hey - I am in the same space and could always use a friend to kite with . Im heading out to Jones today as a matter of fact . I will be on slingshot gear and driving a burgundy chevy pick up with a shell. If you are around. Say hi.

Cheers

Ed

Wooddog395

Since 26 Jun 2016
11 Posts

PostSun Aug 07, 16 2:05 am     Reply with quote

Hey me and my wife to be are learning as well about a month and a half now. We usually go 2x per week on a Sunday Monday or Tuesday, and would like to have kiteboarding buddy's as nobody we know kites. I drive an old lifted blue suby dl wagon or black lifted duramax. Name is Woody hit me up if you see me out.
Last edited by Wooddog395 on Mon Aug 15, 16 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total

dd676

Since 12 Jun 2016
7 Posts
Portland, OR
Kook

PostWed Aug 10, 16 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

I'm a relative newby as well, may head out to Jones tomorrow (Thursday) late afternoon if it looks like wind is picking up.

David

stephenjhansen8

Since 08 Jul 2016
15 Posts

PostThu Aug 11, 16 8:24 am    Floras lake Reply with quote

I am a relative beginner/intermediate. I would love to meet other new kiteboarders and carpool etc. I live in PDX and would love to find a group interested in kiting and camping out near one of the many great kite spots. Any interest in carpooling or camping this weekend?

stephenjhansen8

Since 08 Jul 2016
15 Posts

PostFri Aug 12, 16 5:44 pm    Jones tomorrow Reply with quote

I'm headed to jones tomorrow if anyone is interested in carpooling or meeting up.

mengoair

Since 17 Jun 2015
8 Posts

Kook

PostSat Aug 13, 16 6:10 pm    Heading to Jones Beach on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thurs. Reply with quote

Hello

I am new at this too and just bought a bunch of gear and would love to meet up with some of you. So far I have taken one 5 hour lesson with Nate @ Air Pirates but I am an avid wakeboarder so I am hoping that will assist me a little bit. I want to go either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday and it would be great to meet up with someone at the same level as I. I live in Salem...if anyone is in this area and needs a ride, wants to coordinate something, or would like to carpool I would be up for that. My name is Mike and you can text @ (760) 534-5566

Wooddog395

Since 26 Jun 2016
11 Posts

PostSun Aug 14, 16 9:56 pm     Reply with quote

Going to jones tomorrow from Vancouver f anybody wants a lift or beer buddy.

mengoair

Since 17 Jun 2015
8 Posts

Kook

PostThu Aug 18, 16 5:19 pm    clue me in on wind speed/kite size for aug @jones? Reply with quote

Can anyone let me know where I can find out forcast for wind speeds and weather at Jones Beach prior to heading up? Also what are average wind speeds and kite sizes I would want to have for August @ Jones? I realize wind speeds vary but what would be best bet as I live in Salem and would want to cover my ass prior to the drive up there. Thanks.....

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 18, 16 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

This link has worked in the past. Not sure why today it is lacking

http://www.nwweather.com/JonesFcst.php

Depends on the temp did between Astoria and pdx. At least 15 degree difference between the two. Check the tides so you understand what the water is doin to your board when you lose it. Watch the channel. Had head phones on and lost my board to hear the monster horn of the ship as it ran over my board and I dragged to the side to see it come up from the back of the ship in less than a retrievable condition. I have been there with my 14 to my 9 and lit Into the upper 30's

Look at thegorgeismygym.com. Temira is tryin to forecast it.

Good luck

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 19, 16 7:11 am    Re: clue me in on wind speed/kite size for aug @jones? Reply with quote

mengoair wrote:
Can anyone let me know where I can find out forcast for wind speeds and weather at Jones Beach prior to heading up? Also what are average wind speeds and kite sizes I would want to have for August @ Jones? I realize wind speeds vary but what would be best bet as I live in Salem and would want to cover my ass prior to the drive up there. Thanks.....

What Dog Patrol said + check ikitesurf.com they have a link to the sensor for live data and a forecast page as well (you need a subscription for live readings)

jones.PNG 

mengoair

Since 17 Jun 2015
8 Posts

Kook

PostFri Aug 19, 16 10:25 pm     Reply with quote

Hey thanks guys for the responses regarding conditions @Jones...

I am heading up to Jones tomorrow if anyone would like to meet up/help each other out as far as launching, landing, and laughing at my ass as I get pummeled by the learning curve...I am leaving out of Salem around 12ish and should be up there around 2ish. I am driving a white 4runner with red and black kites. I can also be texted(sp?) @ (760) 534-5566 if anyone might want to coordinate meeting up.

Thanks,
Mango

mengoair

Since 17 Jun 2015
8 Posts

Kook

PostFri Aug 19, 16 10:43 pm    change of time for tomorrow sat the 20th @ Jones Reply with quote

FYI - I just checked out Dog Patrol's link to info on conditions @ Jones and it looks like wind action does not really happen until around 5ish. Therefore I probably won't be there until like 3:00 to 3:30ish. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Mango

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 20, 16 7:23 am     Reply with quote

In my short lifetime so far I have found the wind starts around 2 and is really filled in around 4-5 lasting Til at least 8 when I would head back from the alley side. Just my experience!

k.dogg

Since 10 Jun 2016
8 Posts

Kook

PostMon Aug 22, 16 8:47 am    newer kiter Reply with quote

hey - learned this season myself!

working at staying upwind, but would love to meet new people heading out to jones

- karissa

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Aug 22, 16 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

I head out to Jones just about every week when the conditions are good. I'm off Thursday, Friday and Saturdays so I'd like to meet up or possibly carpool as well.

Just a tip for newbies, if you're not aware...pay close attention to the tide forecast. Optimal is if you can arrive at high tide and have it flowing out for your entire session. It really helps a lot with staying up wind. When the tide is coming in, the river actually flows the opposite direction, making it challenging even for the experienced riders.

Lots of very friendly folks out there though, Jones will always be one of my favorite spots!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: