Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Kiter Looking for Practice Buddies @ Jones Beach
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tnoskilz

Since 06 Aug 2013
12 Posts
Portland

PostTue Aug 30, 16 8:04 am     Reply with quote

similar here. First season, lessons in the gorge and a couple more sessions at hr sandbar. Lots of windsurf/surf/wakesurf...multi-sport experience, but just finally spent the funds to get into kiteboarding.

I haven't made it out to Jones yet, but I've been lurking here for years. I have one other buddy that is on his second season and has been there a few times. I'm looking to get out there as soon as the forecast and my schedule match up. I'm in SE PDX myself and have an old windsurf/surf buddy living out in mosier, so I typically drag the family with me when I head that way and the toddler plays in the waterfront park while I'm at the sandbar.

Typically load up our gray prius to make the trip cheaper, but you might see me in a big white tundra with black wheels. I've got a flourescent green protec helmet and mostly slingshot gear, so feel free to say hi or let me know if I'm having a brain fart and/or doing something stupid. So far the community has been pretty great and I'm stoked.

-Jeremy

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 30, 16 8:43 am     Reply with quote

My buddy and I made the switch to kiting last year. Took lessons in HR, but Jones was the place where we really made progress. The wind is usually pretty onshore there which makes it easy to get back to shore after crashes. Nice long stretch of uncrowded beach enables you to walk back upwind. Jones will go off when there's a good temperature difference between Astoria and Portland - usually in the afternoon.

As mentioned before, you want to check the tide to make sure it is going out (between high tide and low tide), and not coming in. Makes it much easier to stay upwind when the tide is going out - just like in the Gorge proper.

Here's a tide report that's pretty close:
http://tides.willyweather.com/or/clatsop-county/columbia-river--wauna.html

- Bob

tnoskilz

Since 06 Aug 2013
12 Posts
Portland

PostTue Aug 30, 16 10:25 am     Reply with quote

that looks like a nice tide window for the afternoons this week if the wind would cooperate

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 30, 16 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

bobgatpdx wrote:
As mentioned before, you want to check the tide to make sure it is going out (between high tide and low tide), and not coming in. Makes it much easier to stay upwind when the tide is going out - just like in the Gorge proper.

Since this is a thread for new guys going to jones, i thought id just add that its still lots of fun and very rideable regardless of the tide. Id say that tide stuff for jones is good to know, but focus more on what the wind is doing. You'll get dialed and riding up wind in just one or two sessions out at jones anyway, regardless of the tide.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 30, 16 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
Since this is a thread for new guys going to jones, i thought id just add that its still lots of fun and very rideable regardless of the tide. Id say that tide stuff for jones is good to know, but focus more on what the wind is doing. You'll get dialed and riding up wind in just one or two sessions out at jones anyway, regardless of the tide.

IMO this is not the best advice to give to news guys going Jones.

If there's a 8-10 ft tide swing, 20mph wind on the Oregon side and you only have a 10 m kite it's not going to be much fun. And you are not going to get dialed and riding up wind in one or two sessions.

Bob's advise is sound. Know what the tide is doing before you make the drive.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 30, 16 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
OG wrote:

IMO this is not the best advice to give to news guys going Jones.

If there's a 8-10 ft tide swing, 20mph wind on the Oregon side and you only have a 10 m kite it's not going to be much fun. And you are not going to get dialed and riding up wind in one or two sessions.

Bob's advise is sound. Know what the tide is doing before you make the drive.

so then the message should be know the tides and take the right size kite? fair. Im just sayin', i wouldn't stay home and not try it just because of the tides. Everybody's different and has their own learning curve. I dont think its a stretch at all that a rider thats been through lessons and is working out their game gets the upwind stuff in 1 or 2 sessions @ jones. that said, there are people out there that ive seen for a few seasons still working out their game. So..... go and figure it out right?

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 30, 16 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

I am just saying that new kiters going to Jones should be aware that the tide can have a significant impact on success.

I have seen a number of new kiters launch an under powered kite, get into the river on a strong incoming current only have the kite fall out of the sky when they are trying to put the board on their feet. Kiter and kite are then floating quickly down wind.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 30, 16 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

Here's yesterday at Jones. Always late afternoon wind. Not much reason to get there before 3 and often goes till 8. The meter is on the Washington side and the Oregon side always has less wind by around 5 mph so don't under rig if you're staying close to Oregon. Also the island makes quite a wind shadow so don't get within 100 meters of it when crossing. Jones is a great place to learn self launching and landing too. Start with the caribeaner and strap off your car and eventually off the beach (with you in the water)

image.png 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: