Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 31, 16 6:16 pm    Kite size Reply with quote

My GF has a 6m rally and needed something smaller today. Is there much difference between a 5 and 6 rally? Would like to stick with slingshot. They have a 4.5m a rpm, would that be a better choice? Yes she is only on day 10 or so. Thanks for the input.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 31, 16 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

Not sure 5 to 6m is a big enough jump. The 4.5 rpm is used by a lot of women when guys are on 6m.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 31, 16 7:07 pm    6m Reply with quote

Yeah when I am on a 6m my girl is sitting in the car. Very Happy

wetdog

Since 03 Jun 2015
11 Posts

PostSun Jul 31, 16 9:01 pm    4m or 4.5m Reply with quote

The Five meter Rally is for sure smaller than the Six. When you get out often, and are a small person, it matters. What year are yours?
The 4.5 RPM is good or, Slingshot also has a 4 m in the SST, so that's an option. Sitting on the beach is not the preferred option.....

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 31, 16 9:02 pm    4.5 RPM Reply with quote

4.5 RPM is a nice kite for a small person on high wind days . My wife will use hers when I am on a 6

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 31, 16 10:42 pm     Reply with quote

RPM 4.5

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostMon Aug 01, 16 6:25 am     Reply with quote

For there size Rallys are more powerful than RPMs. A 5m Rally equates to the same power as a 6m RPM.

cnett

Since 23 Aug 2010
115 Posts
PDX
Stoked

PostMon Aug 01, 16 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

I have a 5.5 Best Kahoona (2014) for sale. That might fill your gap.

happycamper

Since 11 Jul 2012
72 Posts
white salmon

PostMon Aug 01, 16 4:51 pm    rally 5m Reply with quote

I am an avid female kiter (135 lbs), I live here in the gorge and I have a 2014 6m which is much bigger than my friend's 2012 6m. I also have a 2012 4m rally which is small and I use it alot. I ended up getting a 2015 rally 5m last spring as the jump between the 6m(big) and the 4m was too large. Not sure if it helps, but I'm glad I have all 3 sizes. If you got the 5m and then when it's howling and a newbie wouldn't want to go out, you could use the kite.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 01, 16 6:46 pm    kite size Reply with quote

Ok,if I under this right a 4.5 rpm will have the power of 4m rally. Making the gap too big between two kites. Her 6m is a 2017 and 8 10 and 12 are 2012 rallys. So it seems like a 2017 5m would be the right call. The 8 is the most worn, so it will probably be replaced with a new rally sooner vs. later. If she needs something smaller then a 5m she can rig a 2.9m and WINDSURF. Very Happy

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 02, 16 10:06 am    Re: kite size Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Ok,if I under this right a 4.5 rpm will have the power of 4m rally. Making the gap too big between two kites. Her 6m is a 2017 and 8 10 and 12 are 2012 rallys. So it seems like a 2017 5m would be the right call. The 8 is the most worn, so it will probably be replaced with a new rally sooner vs. later. If she needs something smaller then a 5m she can rig a 2.9m and WINDSURF. Very Happy

I agree with Happycamper.

Assumption:
1. Gen I (2011-2012) Rally's are a good meter less powered than Gen II Rallys (2013 to present).
2. 2017 Rally's are scaled similar to all Gen II Rallys (2013 to present).

If you replace the worn out 8M Gen I (2011-2012) Rally, it seems a 7m Gen II (2017) design is close to the previous quiver gap of the 8m-10m Gen I (2012).

The 5m Gen II design has the power of a 6m Gen I. How ever it "could" possibly stretch down into the very windy conditions by it's virtue of a more rigid frame. This means under crazy gusts it will not deform and "act up" when getting nuked. This means the stiff air frame (when depowered via a down hall cleat) will behave better delivering more predictable high end wind range than the Gen I Rally's. Despite this argument there seems to be strong need for SlingShot to produce a Gen II 4m Rally.

As others have stated, the 4.5m RPM's are very common in The Gorge. This seems to be your first logical experiment.

dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Aug 02, 16 10:16 am     Reply with quote

We purchased a 4.5 RPM for me when my husband is on his 6, and it's excellent.

Last year I would windsurf on my 2.8 when it that windy and I can tell you I'd rather be kiting on the 4.5

I've used it 6 or 7 times this season and it performs really well in nuking winds and super easy to make it work during lulls - very easy to turn, etc and not too much of a gap between that and our 6m RPM.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 02, 16 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

dhhr wrote:
We purchased a 4.5 RPM for me when my husband is on his 6, and it's excellent.
....not too much of a gap between that and our 6m RPM.

Can you clarify which year Rally you are referring to.

Do you mean to say "not too much of a gap between that and our 6m Gen I, 2012 Rally."?

dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Aug 02, 16 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

We just use RPMs - there's not too much of a gap between our 4.5 rpm and our 6-meter RPM. Not sure what the difference would be between the 4.5 rpm and a 6m rally, probably more since Rally's seem to be more powerful.

In really strong winds, the 4.5m RPM handles really well and easily and seems like a good kite for a smaller person with a surprising amount of range for such a small kite.

FWIW, I was super intimidated going going out in winds above 35mph and was pleasantly surprised with how easily the kite handles.

kitenomad

Since 09 Aug 2016
10 Posts

PostMon Aug 15, 16 10:40 am     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
For there size Rallys are more powerful than RPMs. A 5m Rally equates to the same power as a 6m RPM.

Thats true. Rally has more power and a lot more upwind than RPM. So I dont see the point of changing style and size. Confused

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 15, 16 10:58 am    4m Wave SST Reply with quote

Wave SST is available in a 4 meter.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostMon Aug 15, 16 11:17 am     Reply with quote

When I'm on a 6m my girl is on her 15m turbine!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: