Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT. Deschutes rafting at Maupin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 28, 16 6:55 am    OT. Deschutes rafting at Maupin Reply with quote

If non-wind people are looking for ideas or it's a rare windless day, consider driving down from the Dalles to Maupin to raft the Deschutes. It takes about 2.5 hrs over 13 miles if you don't stop much. Class 3 Rapids and amazingly you can rent rafts without a guide (they drop it off and pickup)

Just got back from a Crater lake/ Bend trip (Bend had a permanent surfable wave now)and took my kids for the first time to Maupin. Deschutes U-Boat gave us a 13' raft for $108 all in (2adults2kids). This was midweek and I know the river passes are more on weekends. Guides are available too but anyone who can kite can pull off an unguided trip. Inflatable kayaks make it even more challenging and repeatable if you don't mind swimming a lot more!

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 28, 16 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Rafts-smafts. Go commando tubing!

Actually, the Maupin stretch is a nice and safe stretch, with some WW fun. Stupid crowded on weekends.

Surf City (above Oak Springs) used to have a decent standing wave for kayaking (I'm still steaming about my $179 paddle I lost there back in '94). Might be too short to surf with a sup, but worth a try (my old kayak was around 10' and I had some trouble staying in the wave with that long of a boat).

Good place for family fun.

Good call Mac!

Last edited by deminimis on Thu Jul 28, 16 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 28, 16 3:05 pm    White Salmon Rafting Reply with quote

You could also stay local and check out the White Salmon River. Its a different scene than the Deschutes, features more difficult whitewater, and doesn't have the yahoo party scene you get in Maupin. Not a self-guided place, you can book with one of the 5 or so outfitters up there. Its a really wonderful trip and is a shame more people who are here for wind don't go check it out... Especially now that you can raft all the way to the Columbia and then pickup at the WS Sandbar kiting!

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 28, 16 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

jblum,

great to know, thanks for the tip, will definitely check that out!

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Jul 28, 16 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

When I left work yesterday the high temperature was 35 degrees. Nice and comfortable for me. Then 24 hours later I'm here in the Gorge.. My truck registered 104 degrees today sitting in the sun.

I donned board shorts, grabbed my directional for flotation and did down river floaters at Avery. HOLY SCHNIKES I'm not down with this sickness.

Oh wait... wind is a coming. whew!

www.freeridekiting.com

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 28, 16 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

I have friends rafting today (Wally World (Maupin) not the WS). Instead, I'm welding a new boat jack in my hot-as-the-inside-of-a-car shop. Wish I would have opted for Maupin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: