Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

River Nose and vertigo?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon Jul 25, 16 12:21 pm    River Nose and vertigo? Reply with quote

I was wondering to hear any feedback on the river nose issue with many sailors around here. Have you had any infection that resulted in vertigo or something like that?

I have had plenty of river water up my nose this summer. Lately I have felt a spinning sensation like vertigo when I make a quick movement with my head, like quickly lie down or get up from bed. I read that it is possible to result from infection in the inner ear. Or it might be from something else (maybe a hard wipeout?). The so called BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) is supposed to be a common condition where the inner ear sends false signals of spinning to the brain. It is curable by some specific head movements that adjust the inner ear liquids.

Thanks!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 25, 16 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

River nose is caused by a natural bacteria in the water.
Try allergy medicine to relieve the symptoms.

I had BPPV a few years ago - the vertigo was so bad I could not stop throwing up and had to go to the emergency room - twice in 6 months. It usually hit me at night when I was lying down and sleeping. I have no idea what caused it.
You can try Dramamine if the vertigo is persistent.

You might have an ear sinus/ear infection?

Here's the exercises: http://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/337947

More: http://columbiariverkeeper.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/crk-river-nose-fact-sheet-mar-2011-31.pdf

Laird

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostMon Jul 25, 16 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

Anytime anything in your head gets thrown out of balance it can be like having vertigo.Having ruptured eardrums, getting river nose this spring was also similar. I woke up the night after with a severely disrupted balance, though after a day or two it turned into a sort of head cold and the vertigo feeling was gone. River nose is serious, try not to inhale any water.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostMon Jul 25, 16 10:21 pm     Reply with quote

KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF PEOPLES ASSHOLES , THATS A GREAT IDEA Laughing Laughing Laughing ..............TROLL

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostTue Jul 26, 16 5:02 am     Reply with quote

When finished kiting, 60 CC syringe with warm water and sea salt...nasal "enema" twice each nostril while head tilted, prevents infection and river nose....

Sounds like sinus infection on your vertigo...I used to get recurring sinusitis during kiting season that prompted issues similar to yours...

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 26, 16 5:35 am     Reply with quote

I'm 66 y.o.. Been either kiting or windsurfing the Gorge for 26 years. I also held a 40+ year career in construction (sandblasting) where I daily breathed in bad sh*t... as in pigeon sh*t, and paint fumes on bridges. So for me it's increasingly been a "lung crud" "Gorge hack" each summer as I get older and older. This worsens as the summer continues, and then kicks into full blown in the fall cold & flu season with fairly serious bronchitis.
Not really understanding the why and how a few hours each day in the Columbia continues to plague my pulmonary functions. Is it a fine mist I'm inhaling? Is it related to a nasal drip? Would daily use of a neti-pot improve this affliction?
Oh... and with foiling I've added 10 to 12 daily high speed face-plants to the mix.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Jul 26, 16 9:16 am     Reply with quote

I get terrible river nose if i forget nose plug or clip - been using this for the past two season and works great. Not as annoying as the spring clip type. They don't fall out and i wreck a lot especially this year trying to foil

Sinus Saver Water Sports Nose Plugs
by Sinus Saver
Link: https://amzn.com/B00GAAJJUG

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 26, 16 10:18 am    River Nose Reply with quote

I too am a multi decade user of the Columbia. I never used to have problems w/RiverNose, but have begun to see more symptoms over the last few years. I kite, SUP, windsurf, and open water swim. 55 years old. I have had several conversations with local docs and the the director of Columbia RiverKeeper about these issues. I was always confused about the supposed "high pollution" levels of our river, given the sparse population and limited ag runoff relative to rivers like the Mississippi, Missouri, Hudson, Sacramento, etc. People and animal waste (containing types of pathogens) are what cause major illnesses in my limited research, and we have relatively little of both. We do have Hanford, but nuclear waste is very dense molecularly, and should be sitting at the bottom, again, my amateur view. My best guess (for my symptoms) is that a confluence of trends is occurring. On the river side, the series of about 20 dams upriver effect a collection of reservoirs that allow for a heating and slowing (general stagnation) of normal river flow. Simultaneously, reduced runoff as measured at the Dalles dam in KCFS and anecdotal evidence of a warming trend in recent years have exacerbated these issues. Naturally occurring bacteria proliferate rapidly in stagnate water. Other pathogens like mold, pollen, fungus, and viruses also collect at the river surface either free floating or in hosts, and have antigens that demand an immune or histamine or antibody response from people. Basically, as I age my immune system weakens normally. As summer progresses the river water stagnates and warms. As I get water in my eyes or ears or mouth, or sinuses, or in open skin wounds, I run an increasing risk of getting an infection and an immune response, especially as I age and summer wears on. In my nose and ears, the immune response is white blood cells/antibodies being carried in fluid to the site of the invader/antigen. Fluid build up in your sinuses effects another mini reservoir with a temp of 98-99 degrees; a wonderful breeding ground for naturally occurring or invading bacteria. Initially what may be purely an allergic or immune response to pollen or mold in the water becomes a raging bacterial sinus infection. I always try to rinse/shower soon after exiting the river, I use a neti pot with warm salt water flush daily, and I use a 50/50 vinegar/alcohol mix for ear drops. Fun facts: The Columbia dumps more water into the Pacific than any other river in N America, and has the fifth largest flow volume in the US. Sorry for the long treatise, but I thought my research might help others.

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostTue Jul 26, 16 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

I wonder if what you experienced was caused by toxic blue green algae.
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/environhealth/water/Pages/Bluegreenalgae.aspx

In northern CA, Sherman Isle is notorious for this algae and it's associated health issues.

Here's a link to the thread about the issues we've seen at Sherman...
http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4685&hilit=algae

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 26, 16 2:24 pm    Swimmers (kiter's ear) and vertigo Reply with quote

YESSSS this is me 1000%. I kited in the early cold spring 2 years ago after getting over a cold and ended up with a deep inner ear infection. Within an hour I couldn't stand up and would vomit when I would move my eyes at all. I wasn't able to walk for about 2 weeks, one of the worst things I have experienced in my life.

Mine was labyrinthitis caused by an inner ear infection which caused permanent damage to my inner ear. Antibiotics did nothing because it is viral. Took 6 months to fully resolve but was helped by the Epley maneuver (Youtube it if you get vertigo), because no matter what causes the damage the only way to fix ear balance issues is to train your brain to adjust to the damage (compensation).

Now unless I use alcohol drops (half water half alcohol drops in each ear for about 10 seconds per side) after every session I end up with mild vertigo the next day until I get the water completely out.

So long story short any water can cause inner ear issues and of course the pollution in our river doesn't help any. ;(

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 26, 16 8:15 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks pauls for the nose plug link - I've taken some recent hard hits forcing water up my nose and out my eyes, so will definitely try them. I used to get river nose in early spring and then it would go away, but lately I've been sneezing a ton and waking up stuffed up every morning (I'm 49, been kiting/windsurfing here at least two decades). I think it has it has to do with more people on the water... or maybe coal trains. Wink

Salt water rinse in the shower after a session always seemed to work for me, though I've neglected lately. There's a brand name I used to use that I can't recall off the top of my head. I wouldn't argue strongly against the algae theory... makes sense as the water warms.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Jul 27, 16 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Netipots, nasal spray, salt water rinse??.....it's like taking a baseball bat to a gunfight....60 CC syringe, warm sea salt water each nostril 2X while tilting head...it ain't fun, but it's effective!!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jul 27, 16 8:43 am     Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Sinus-Rinse-Premixed-NasaMist/dp/B001HDRHR8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 27, 16 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

If your rivernose gets out of control pick up some afrin.

https://www.afrin.com/afrin/home/index.jspa

You can pick it up off the shelf locally without a prescription.

I had an incident a few years ago where my rivernose was so bad I thought I was going to choke to death. I couldn't breathe through my nose at all and could barely breathe through my mouth.

A couple shots of afrin and I was breathing comfortably in minutes.

I don't recommend using it on a regular basis but it's nice to have around if required.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue Aug 02, 16 11:09 am     Reply with quote

My wife has chronic watering eyes every time we go to hood river. She doesn't even kite yet as soon as she steps outside her eyes get super irritated. I think somehow the water mist from white caps gets in the air and messes with her because it clears up as soon as she gets away from the river

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Aug 02, 16 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

There are more contaminants, and pathogens in the Willamette. And many more cases of severe illness from exposure to the willamette then the Columbia. Last time I checked the Columbia flows into Portland area. Does she get watery eyes all along every river?

Or maybe she's just crying because your kiting all the time. I suggest to avoid this problem that you don't come to hood river to kite. The watery eyes should clear up either way.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 02, 16 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

Last time I checked the wind doesn't blow as hard or often in Portland as it does in da hood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: