Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Best Kiteboarding Warranty Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kitebeard

Since 28 Sep 2015
16 Posts

PostSat Jul 09, 16 5:48 am    Best Kiteboarding Warranty Issues Reply with quote

I have flown Best kites for over 10 years and have had multiple warranty claims. In the past they have been great in replacing or sending out new parts free of charge. In my quiver of 2014 TS kites the stupid retainer clip in the inflation valve has broken on every single kite that I own. This part keeps the red plunger from falling into the leading edge. You can still inflate the kite but have to be really careful when removing the hose that the is seated correctly. I have even lost the plunger entirely into the leading edge bladder. This clip is obviously a weak point in their kites as its broken on every single kite that I own (17, 15, 12, 9, 6). All kites were brand new purchased from a registered dealer & registered in my name. I contacted their warranty department about simply getting a few of these clips. First off it took almost 2 weeks for someone to respond. Secondly, their response was that I had purchased the kites almost 15 months ago and it was considered "normal wear and tear" and they wouldn't send out new clips. Most of these kites have been used less then 10 times. They then directed me to airtimekite to purchase new clips. Which airtime does not have in stock.

Anyway, just wanted to vent my frustrations about a "lifetime warranty" that in my opinion has been drastically watered down. Based on the way I was treated and the customer service that I received I will never be purchasing a Best product again. After spending over $4k on these kites not to be sent a couple pieces of plastic valued at $2/piece is beyond me.

End of rant.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Jul 09, 16 7:55 am     Reply with quote

I feel your pain, or have - too many times, and likely will many more times. For me, this BS started with Ozone for some stupid stopper balls that disintegrated in the cold. Just a little $2 part, but they started by basically telling me to F.O. Since that incident, Ozone got rid of the old rep and cleaned up their act a bit. Still, they lost lots of customers to HQ, including me. My solution to the stopper ball after I gave up on Ozone, was to make my own HDPE stopper balls that NEVER SHATTER! Sometimes, you can build it better than a coruptporation.

Then I had problems with the Best bars. Almost the same thing but a much bigger recall problem (that they never recalled) with their CL releases.

But the lesson here is that pretty much all corporations are only focused on selling the gear in their warehouse, not servicing that gear when it means no more money for them this year. A few companies have stood out and tried to get more/keep existing customers by actually being cool about honoring their warranty. Then you get a management change, and it is back to the old corporate BS that we all have to deal with.

My solution to this is to just not buy their new gear. Sure, that means that I do not get a warranty. But what is that worth when a company does not honor it? And do as much research as possible to find out about a product before you buy it. But most important, let everyone know about and issue when you discover it. This will help others stay away from junk. I do not have much hope it will make corporations better.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostSat Jul 09, 16 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Cabrinha broke me. Frustrated by ongoing bar issues with their 2014 and 2015 bars so I moved on to Core. A badder/valve issue with my Core kite was quickly resolved and they gave me the choice of a new bladder or a stick on replacement valve.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Jul 09, 16 8:13 am     Reply with quote

I been riding Ocean Rodeo since 2008, they had a few issues over some time they fixed them all for free.
Including a kite the I bought in 2009, and last year, I found a hole in it , I went to Airtime for a replaced bladder, Airtime called and said Ocean Rodeo had replaced them earlier , so called up Ocean Rodeo and they fixed it for free.

The kites rides well , I really like this company, bomber construt ,I know they care about me.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSat Jul 09, 16 8:40 am     Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:
I been riding Ocean Rodeo since 2008, they had a few issues over some time they fixed them all for free.
Including a kite the I bought in 2009, and last year, I found a hole in it , I went to Airtime for a replaced bladder, Airtime called and said Ocean Rodeo had replaced them earlier , so called up Ocean Rodeo and they fixed it for free.

The kites rides well , I really like this company, bomber construt ,I know they care about me.

Guess your mileage may vary - personally totally underwhelmed by OR customer service and warranty had bad experiences with Pyro Pro repeatedly leaking and Mako cores breaking and boards delaminating and really lame warranty support so will never buy any of there products new again. They have had some great ideas - first kiting drysuits, Mako line of boards and even the Go Joe - but for me they never stood behind the premium price of their products like i felt they ought to. Crying or Very sad

mbevo

Since 22 Apr 2015
39 Posts
Portland

PostSat Jul 09, 16 11:04 am     Reply with quote

Had a great experience with Switch support team. My bar had some issues, first time the swivel hole was too small and jammed the depower line, and second time I think the swivel might of rubbed against the depower line and cut into the splicing. Contacted customer support they sent me a new swivel first time and 2 new front lines and a new swivel 2nd time.

Joshiebaby

Since 14 Oct 2007
569 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostSat Jul 09, 16 11:35 am    Shout out to Pepi @ 2nd Wind Reply with quote

Bought 2 new foils one for a friend and I via LF and had issues with the fins properly seating. Called up 2nd wind where I bought them and he helped me out.

Definitely shouldn't have to always go back through your dealer for the fix--but sometimes if you are getting nowhere having someone who has a relationship with the company can help out.

Again this was new gear--don't everyone bomb rush 2nd wind to fix every minor problem but he was great when I was working through these issues.

Your follow up is not forgotten and look forward to giving you more business in the future.

Thanks!

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostSun Jul 10, 16 8:20 am     Reply with quote

I started riding Best kites when they were offering buy 2 get one free back in 2004. Customer service was outstanding, and understandably so because they were just trying to gain customers and establish themselves in the market. Of course slowly the prices went up, and sadly the service down...it's a bummer to hear that you've had that experience with the clips on their current kites, rather ridiculous that they wouldn't warranty those on a 15 month claim...now they've lost a longstanding customer, and fueled a forum rant.

I flew several other brands of kites from larger companies for a couple of years, and had no issues with the customer service, but I was always dealing with a local rep, who got in touch with a higher up who kept going up the ladder to get approval....

I did some research, and decided to try a smaller more personal company that has an inhouse repair facility, where the repairs and warranties are handled by the owner himself. The kites are reasonably priced, and built to handle ocean conditions. In the 9 years that I've flown Caution kites I have never had a single issue that was not handled immediately.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: