Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Pump life-spans
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostMon Jul 04, 16 2:44 am    Pump life-spans Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was curious as to what your typical life time is for your pump. I probably hold onto a pump about two years before the seals are worn out or some other failure occurs (aside from pump hose breakages/holes). How many of you regularly maintain your pumps versus buying a new one when the current one is failing?

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostMon Jul 04, 16 6:19 am     Reply with quote

I just got rid of antique Naish X-4 pump which still works ,
BUT
It's not a WMFG pump which DELUXXX! Very Happy

You can the same out yours if you use silicone grease with is made for pumps,
and clean about once a year

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 04, 16 6:58 am     Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:

It's not a WMFG pump which DELUXXX! Very Happy

I was always very skeptical about these deluxe pump upgrades UNTIL on a whim I purchased this WMFG pump. Holey moley!! It is a dreams pumping up your kites. Long comfortable stroke with slightly narrower cylinder make higher pressures a dream. Then, easily pull of a small valve cap and go into down-stroke only mode to finish off the work. Super accurate pressure gauge that doesn't fall off and get lost in the trunk.
Never going back.
I will need to probable look at pump rebuilding school in 2 years after this this has eaten ton of fine tropical beach sand. We'll see.

PS....My 4M Cloud? 16 strokes to full.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 04, 16 7:18 am     Reply with quote

http://m.outdoorplay.com/Advanced-Elements-Xcelerator-SUP-Kayak-Pump?_ga=1.108262210.1911216142.1463754281

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jul 04, 16 9:08 am     Reply with quote

I broke my first Best pump almost immediately (from pumping it too fast the valves blew out and would not stay in). The second one I have had forever (since I take my time with the pumping process). Just a bit of PB Silicone Blaster on the shaft, let dry, pump a bunch to keep the solvents out of the kite, and good to go for 6 years.

Now I have the WMFG pump too that I did not hesitate to buy used. Can't say enough about them and I have a bunch of old Best pumps to get rid of that are still new in the bag.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 04, 16 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
I have a bunch of old Best pumps to get rid of that are still new in the bag.

Maybe you weren't present when Best sent all their kites with "Ketchup Dispenser" pump? Unbelievable. Maybe 250+ strokes to fill a 6M. Progress.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4200 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 04, 16 11:42 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Matt V wrote:
I have a bunch of old Best pumps to get rid of that are still new in the bag.

Maybe you weren't present when Best sent all their kites with "Ketchup Dispenser" pump? Unbelievable. Maybe 250+ strokes to fill a 6M. Progress.

Laughing I remember that thing! Back in the day I bought a Best BFK I think it was? Anyways it was a 19m or 20m kite, something like that. The pump it came with was this little tiny hand held pump. It would have taken probably 2000+ strokes to fill the kite. Literally. Laughing Coming with no pump is fine, but sending out a kite with that thing was just hilarious. I mean, did they honestly think ANYONE would actually try and inflate a kite with that thing???. Next up of course was the infamous Hellfish... Thank God for progress! Very Happy

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 07, 16 4:49 pm    Raft pump Reply with quote

My Carlson raft pump is 25 years old and still works great. Came with an extra O ring but still have not needed it. Similar to NRS raft pump. May seem spendy but not if you amortize it over 25 years, or even 10 years. I have used both of the new style of kite pumps and they seem to work well. We will see how long they last.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jul 07, 16 5:10 pm     Reply with quote

The pump that Ozone paired with their kites this year is amazing. Reviews all over the internets. Breakthrough in durability and ease of use. Guessing they licensed the tech from WFMG... not sure.

I remember getting my first kite. Gave up on the little blue hand pump the packaged with the kite and blew it up the old fashion way...like a balloon. Shocked Laughing

Hand pump.jpg 
   ozone_pump_1000.jpg 

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 08, 16 8:01 am     Reply with quote

That new Ozone pump is pretty much the same as the WMFG. And I saw that Big Winds has the same design in North or Naish brand as well.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 08, 16 8:12 am    Kim K Reply with quote

The large flow , high volume , back saver pumps will be the new standard. Slingshot has the Kim K Very Happy

kim.JPG 

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 08, 16 8:58 am     Reply with quote

My favorite Gorge kite.... the 4M Cloud? 14 strokes, the final 4 being down-stroke pressure on my new pump. Smile

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 09, 16 7:07 am     Reply with quote

No doubt all these new identical pumps are coming out of the same factory in China. I have the new "tall-boy" WMFG and it is indeed sweet! Only complaint is the hose is a bit stiff.

Re the new manual pumps - I see no need whatsoever for my electric pump - it'll be for sale soon!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Jul 09, 16 7:23 am     Reply with quote

unbob wrote:
No doubt all these new identical pumps are coming out of the same factory in China. I have the new "tall-boy" WMFG and it is indeed sweet! Only complaint is the hose is a bit stiff.

Re the new manual pumps - I see no need whatsoever for my electric pump - it'll be for sale soon!

like the stiff and probably won't fall apart hose
but a union or some kind move around kind of device for the hose ,so not so uncompliant

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 10, 16 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

How to revive your old pumps on the cheap.

http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9668

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 10, 16 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

I found this interesting piece of info elsewhere.

========================

If your poor performing pump is one of the tall ones and you store it with the handle all the way down, then the seals on the piston are at their maximum compression from the pump cylinder. To injection mold the pump cyclinder there is about a 1-degree draft angle on the bore, making the diameter at the top bigger than at the bottom. Storing your pump with the handle all the way down compresses the seals on the pistons, so they barely seal at the top of the cylinder.

Store your pump with the handle fully out and the seals will come back, you'll get more air flow when the piston is at the top of the cylinder.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 18, 16 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

Used the WMFG at Floras this week (thanks Wannabe) and wow. I immediately bought a Slingshot branded version from Will. Best decision I've made in quite some time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: