Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Frenchman's Bar State Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
broadbandito

Since 26 Apr 2005
342 Posts
CSO headwaters
WheatHead

PostMon Jul 11, 05 10:00 am    Frenchman's Bar State Park Reply with quote

I'm sorta indifferent to the Frech, but I like most bars.

Has anyone hit this launch by Vancouver Lake in a good southerly? Seems like it could be a tasty side-on right now, but I've never scouted it.

Yeah, I'm lazy. It's not that long a drive from my work in Portland. Just looking for the scoopizzle on the shizzle.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostMon Jul 11, 05 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

the french bar is weird kiting. for my first year it was my only kiting spot because it is like 5 min away from my house. vancouver lake works but you have to get in a small boat and launch in the middle. i have launched from that little boat ramp but its scechy. the real kiting is on the river. dont go to that spot where you have to pay, the wind is real weird. insted where the road takes a turn you will see a parking lot and a path down to the beach. hike with your gear up the beach untill you are about 100 yards upwind of the pilings. it gets insanly windy there an the beach is oriented in the same direction as sauvies. when it is windy at sauvies it will be in the upper 20's at the bar. its still super gusty. just be carefull because the current is strong and there are lots of wako fishermen and sharp pileings downwind.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon Jul 11, 05 12:25 pm    Frenchman's bar Reply with quote

Tons of room to launch, beach shelves more steeply than SI.
$2 parking.
I've kited (body dragged) in S. and N.
Also a good place to mess with kites on land in light wind. A group of guys were doing ground handling with parafoils down there one evening last week. May be ships moored mid-river which you'll have to work around to avoid huge wind shadow.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostMon Jul 11, 05 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

dont go to the pay to park area for actuall kiting. about 70ft from the shore the wind twists offshore. got stuck on sauvies island because of that. allitle up or downwind from that spot the wind is just fine.

broadbandito

Since 26 Apr 2005
342 Posts
CSO headwaters
WheatHead

PostMon Jul 11, 05 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Next time it's S or SW I'll give it a spin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: