Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Core safety question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 30, 16 8:22 am    Core safety question Reply with quote

In the process of demoing some Core kites and the last couple of times when I tested the QR, the kite fell out of the sky and landed on its wingtip and still had quite a bit of pull to it. Had I been unable to stand, getting to the kite and self rescuing would have been difficult and I would have sailed quite a distance until I got to the kite. I read that if I were not standing and resisting the kite and I was in fact floating in the water towards the kite that this problem would have been mitigated and the kite would have automatically flipped over onto its leading edge nose into the wind with no power. Thoughts? I come from 5 line kites so all of this is new to me.

larryb

Since 05 Apr 2014
48 Posts

PostThu Jun 30, 16 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

Yes SpaceRacer, that is correct. By coincidence just today my friend was trying that exact situation with a CORE kite and lines, out in shallow standing water here in the Gorge. He felt a bit more pull than his Rebel, as soon as he laid down and floated instead of standing his ground it was all the same as with his 5 line kite when he wrapped up the lines.

larryb

Since 05 Apr 2014
48 Posts

PostThu Jun 30, 16 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the kite was also in a more convenient position to relaunch it if he wanted to hook back in, and there still was no more pull than any other kite and probably less. The resetting of the chicken loop is very easy to do after release.

Get out there and enjoy riding your CORE with no worries !

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 30, 16 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

This is your friend Paul LOL!!!!! Were we blogging from separate rooms!!!! Anyway, LOVE!!! the CORE Section! And am happy with the safety!

SR

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jun 30, 16 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Shocked Very Happy Laughing

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 01, 16 5:29 am     Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Core Kites Mike

Since 27 Jul 2016
1 Posts

PostWed Jul 27, 16 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Mike. I might be able to shed some light on this situation. Very Happy

The Sensor 2 and 2S control bars utilize a supported single line safety system. This means when the quick release is activated it flags the kite from a single front line, however, there is a small amount of support from the second front line so that the kite remains in a "drift-launch-like" position. This way, when the pilot wishes to reset their chicken loop and fly the kite again, the kite will safely return to a flying position.

If you have any questions about the safety system and how it works, please feel free to call me at Core Kites, USA headquarters: 321-236-2673.

Thanks!

-Mike

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 27, 16 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I was also standing in shallow water when testing this so there was resistance on the kite. When I floated with the kite it flopped into a much more managable position should one need to self rescue.

Thank you,

SR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: