Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting Tillamook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 26, 16 9:19 pm    Kiting Tillamook Reply with quote

I will be out in Tillamook for the next several weeks. I am interested in Bay/Ocean and Cape Meares though I have not tried these spots before.

If there are locals who kite these spots or other Tillamook locations I would look forward to meeting up and getting and intro to these locations.

PM me..... Thanks, A.K.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jun 27, 16 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like your partial to flat water? Search Happy Camp/Netarts Bay. Great inside on days with more west in it. More North get outside south of the mouth. Watch out with the tidal currents like with any estuary.

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Jun 27, 16 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

I used to windsurf Bay/Ocean back in the day. We only sailed on high outgoing tide with a NW wind so wind and tide were opposite. Wicked fast, but watch out for oyster beds and skinny poles that stick out of the water that mark oyster beds I believe. If you stay out until a lot of water flushes out, you'll be walking back thru mud.

Drive around the south side of Tillamook Bay and then out on Bay Ocean Dike Road until its blocked for vehicles. Rig there and keep your kite in the air. Huge body of water. Don't ride across the bay to Bay City...to much of a wind shadow. Its a different place to experience.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jun 27, 16 2:19 pm     Reply with quote

Watch out for ghosts. Shocked

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/or/bayocean.html

Bayocean was founded by a realtor from Kanas City named T.B. Potter who claimed it would be the "Queen of Oregon Resorts". It had a hotel, grocery, bowling alley and the largest indoor saltwater swimming pool on the west coast. Hundreds of lots were sold. One night it was reported that by Mr. Potters wife that he had gone violently insane and he was never seen again. In 1917 the ocean currents changed and street after street began to disappear into the sea. By 1952 the city completely vanished into the sea.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jun 27, 16 5:11 pm     Reply with quote

Great tips - thank you for the infos. Anything specific to note about Cape Meares?

Thanks....

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Jun 27, 16 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

If you mean Cape Meares Lake... it just never looked doable because there were tall trees between the lake and the ocean. That could be different now.

I suppose Cape Meares Beach would work. Just don't get too close to the Cape Meares headland that sticks out. Its a shear wall. If you are in Tillamook, you could try going out to Barview Park and kite off the beach at the north end of the jetty. That always looked interesting.

If you have the time, its hard to beat Manzanita.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 27, 16 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Sounds like your partial to flat water? Search Happy Camp/Netarts Bay. Great inside on days with more west in it. More North get outside south of the mouth. Watch out with the tidal currents like with any estuary.

What Slither said. Look for more NW wind at Netarts and or Oceanside. The Ebb or flood currents at Netarts Bay are wicked fast.

Kited Tillamook Bay once. Bottom line it sucked and was dangerous with the extra slick mud and barbed wire fences downwind. It was a 16 m C kite session back in the day in '05 with a few from the Phiothree crew. Had to make your toes point down like claws just to wall on the mud without slipping.

More North wind will block and make the wind extra dirty down at Netarts Bay/Oceanside.

Oh, best thing is there are fresh Netarts Bay (Whiskey Creek which is pure and clean fresh water that feeds Netarts Bay) at the RV park (mobile home park) on the other side of Happy Camp. Super cheap, very good--about quarter/1/2 dollar sized oysters which are perfect sized for shooters. Just make sure to stock the cooler with lemons, hot sauce, and lots of cold beer!

Have fun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: