Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui in end of March/early April

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Feb 26, 07 10:00 am    Maui in end of March/early April Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm thinking of heading to Maui the last 10 days of March and first few days of April. Has anyone had experience with wind reliability during that time or know the general trend? I know they hit full stride close to May, but was hoping that by the end of March there are lots of windy days anyway. I can consider other destinations if chances for wind on Maui aren't very high.

Thanks a lot for the input.

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostMon Feb 26, 07 10:45 am     Reply with quote

yeah, and then what about mid April?? I'm heading over on the 15th. good way to spend tax day. thanks for the info in advance..........

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Feb 26, 07 11:25 am     Reply with quote

The wind is kind of hit or miss then, but you could get lucky and get both wind and swell. Wait until you experience kite beach Smile The wind is horribly turbulent due to buildings and palm trees upwind. Be careful launching and landing.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 26, 07 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

Check the iKitesurf.com archives. I checked April for the last three years - the wind looked good all but a few days. I'm heading there April 13th - 22cd - I hope it's good - C

Shredjim - really? I have not been there, but the #'s look great for that time of year.

April 2006 archive link: http://www.ikitesurf.com/windAndWhere.iws?siteID=235&archiveMonth=4&archiveYear=2006&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=158&geographicalAreaID=0

Check previous years - they are similar. Is this just not a good wind direction, or is the sensor misleading?

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Feb 26, 07 5:41 pm     Reply with quote

Should be styling! Forget about Kite Beach and head upwind to Old Man's... Basically kiters can now launch all the way to just downwind of the Canoe House!

Great beach there, no wind shadow and straight out access to killer waves. We can also launch at Lanes, but I would not recommend it unless your skills are fully dialed.

See ya on the rock, Jon

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostWed Feb 28, 07 10:00 am    Maui has been windy this week.... Reply with quote

Maui has been windy this week.... and a nice sunset

Maui sunset
 Maui sunset  Maui sunset.JPG 
Maui days
 Maui days  Maui.JPG 

DrScoles

Since 13 Nov 2006
25 Posts
Sammamish, WA

PostWed Feb 28, 07 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

I'm leaving on Sunday for Maui, can't wait!!!!! Wind has been strong past few weeks, hope it holds out!

Mike

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostWed Feb 28, 07 11:42 pm     Reply with quote

Leaving for Maui this Sunday as well. Been there quite a bit this time of year and the winds seem to pay out. March is usually when things start to shape up there as far as the trades go and blow.

See ya there!

T

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostThu Mar 01, 07 11:25 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like there's a change of plans and we're a green light for going to San Carlos in Baja for those epic waves. If anyone else is heading down there we'll be there last week of March. Here's to good wind and waves Cool

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 01, 07 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

I was in Maui for two weeks last March. Got some really good gusty, squally wind and some nice waves. Rain and weird wind came in toward the end. Good winds to ya!!

PS Nice sunset Rico!

Dave & Suzie reported a "Rico" sighting on action beach. Enjoy!! Cool

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostSun Mar 04, 07 9:52 pm     Reply with quote

Hey BamBam!

Carol and I will be coming to Maui March 16th through the 25th on business and we'll just happen to bring our kite gear with us. We'll have to work most mornings but our afternoons should be free. Maybe you can point the way for us at Old Man's? We've only been out at Kite beach and Kihei.

Rico, and Teague - if you're still there when we show up give me a ring on the cell phone: 503 544-7495 - we always like to hook up with the NW kite crew for a session.

If anybody else is interested Hawaiian Airlines has round trip fares for $298 if you go to their website.

See ya in a couple of weeks!

Tony

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostSun Mar 04, 07 10:30 pm     Reply with quote

tonyb wrote:
Hey BamBam!

Carol and I will be coming to Maui March 16th through the 25th on business and we'll just happen to bring our kite gear with us. We'll have to work most mornings but our afternoons should be free. Maybe you can point the way for us at Old Man's? We've only been out at Kite beach and Kihei.

Rico, and Teague - if you're still there when we show up give me a ring on the cell phone: 503 544-7495 - we always like to hook up with the NW kite crew for a session.

If anybody else is interested Hawaiian Airlines has round trip fares for $298 if you go to their website.

See ya in a couple of weeks!

Tony
Shocked

Wow!! Kim and I thought we were getting a deal at $440 each on Hawaiian! Guess we should have waited a bit but with spring break coming up we just booked it. Logged your cell # and we'll be here till the 18th so lets try and grab a sesh when you get in. It's a light forecast this first week for us but hopefully Bam's with bring some Pacific Northwest winds over with him! Wink Come on man, I'm counting on you!

Teague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: