Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Brand New Slingshot Hover Glide Foil - New Brushed Look
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kitebeard

Since 28 Sep 2015
16 Posts

PostThu Jun 16, 16 5:46 pm    Brand New Slingshot Hover Glide Foil - New Brushed Look Reply with quote

I just received my 2016 Hover Glide in the mail and pulled the wings out of the box and it looks like they never received a final coat of green paint. All the Hover Glides I have seen in person as well as online are solid green. You can see in the attached pictures that the high spots were sanded down on the wing but never repainted. Just curious if any one else has seen this? It doesn't seem like a huge deal but when you drop this kinda money on a product, it should be exactly like it is shown in the pictures. I feel like the resale value would drastically decrease because of this and I just opened the box. I have contacted the vendor and will also be sending an email to slingshot. Just thought I'd get some opinions about it. Thanks!

2016-06-16 19.45.35.jpg 

Last edited by kitebeard on Mon Jun 20, 16 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Kay

Since 11 May 2009
211 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Jun 16, 16 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

Its funny you say that because I was looking at the pictures a while ago (2 months) and they were all green, but more recently they got changed. So I was curious if that will be the end product or some issue with the uploaded picture.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 16, 16 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

I doubt you should worry about it at all. most foil racer's wings look pretty much like this. they will sand the wings removing any imperfections and high spots that potentially cause drag. the new high aspect Liquid Force wings have the same look.
just so you know, your wings are going to get trashed. I don't care how much you baby your setup. I would put money on it that you will chip it, dive it into the sandbar, drop it on rocks/concrete or just scratch it by trying to put it into your car.
anyhow if you are concerned, I would contact the SS rider hotline and get the lowdown on the new look.
have fun with that new foil, it looks like a sweet setup!

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 16, 16 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

I don't think there is any defect with those. I have seen the wings from the new LF foil and they look like that but blue. It also seems to be the paint scheme for most things carbon these days. Look at just about any carbon SUP, Windsurf, or foil board lately and they all look like this. I think it has something to do with the hand shaping that goes into these and is actually a sign of quality. I'm sure someone with more knowledge in this area can explain more than I can but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 16, 16 8:48 pm     Reply with quote

Point made ^ by mister Stringfellow. Small minds think alike!

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Jun 16, 16 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

BeerKite wrote:
It also seems to be the paint scheme for most things carbon these days. Look at just about any carbon SUP, Windsurf, or foil board lately and they all look like this.

Correct. I'm sure it was intentional and not a defect or oversight. Starboard calls it "brushed carbon" and it is very fashionable these days.
I think they originally did it to save a few ounces of weight from the extra paint, but the techy look caught on and you will see it on numerous boards from several brands now.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Jun 17, 16 3:59 am     Reply with quote

Brilliant! If I'll tell my wife we are on the cutting edge of hi tech fashion i can now get away with just sanding the trim work in our house and not actually repainting it!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 17, 16 7:23 am     Reply with quote

I got one of the first ones shipped with a brilliant green paint job. Since then, I've had several chips in odd places just by the slightest impact. Paint chips only- no impact on the ride quality which is completely awesome. They have obviously modified the manufacturing process to fix the brittle nature of the early paint jobs. If I could switch mine out with yours, I'd do it. Enjoy the foil- it's dreamy to ride.

kitebeard

Since 28 Sep 2015
16 Posts

PostFri Jun 17, 16 11:18 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info & opinions guys! I was a bit shocked when I saw it but do like the look of it. I also agree that it will be less prone to minor chipping. I guess a heads up from Slingshot or vendor would have nice. Thanks again.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 20, 16 7:27 am    Acid Washed Look is Back Reply with quote

The new brushed look.

13312886_10209479889092590_4588498834729958957_n.jpg 

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

kitebeard

Since 28 Sep 2015
16 Posts

PostMon Jun 20, 16 8:17 am     Reply with quote

I rode it for the first time on Saturday. I am a noob foiler but I can't believe how it felt in the water! This thing is amazing and I can't wait for the next session.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 20, 16 8:40 am     Reply with quote

kitebeard wrote:
I rode it for the first time on Saturday. I am a noob foiler but I can't believe how it felt in the water! This thing is amazing and I can't wait for the next session.

That's awesome. BTW I think they look really cool like that.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 20, 16 9:24 am     Reply with quote

kitebeard wrote:

I'd like to hear more, especially how it would be for a first foil? Thanks!

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostMon Jun 20, 16 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

Got a Dwarfcraft 54, Hover Glide NF2 Foil, and Foil Flight School mast package 3 weeks ago. Have had 11 sessions on foil thus far.

Started with front foot strap only, loose, foil all the way back in track. Went through the progression of foil flight school mast sizes 15", 24", 30" and moved foil to position 4 in track. Now riding strapless on 35.5" mast having a blast!

Learning to waterstart strapless is a little tricky, but persistence pays off. I'm in the camp of strapless safer for learning if you can manage the waterstart. Not jibing yet on foil, but trying, and working on touch down jibes. Having fun doing S turns on swells, coming around to toeside and back on foil, and just hovering in the "quiet room" on long reaches.

From my experience, this is a great first foil setup. I'm further along in my progression than I thought I'd be after three weeks. The shorter masts do reduce severity of the many crashes you inevitably take during initial foiling sessions. This helps build confidence as you step up in mast height.

While heavier than other foils, Slingshot Hover Glide NF2 is really stable on the water, smooth ride, and durable. Love the new buffed look of the wings, the modularity - easy to take apart for transport or to maintain/replace parts if need be, and price is reasonable compared to other foils.

More foilers showing up on the water - please keep in mind to give learning foilers plenty of room on the water. Non foilers might not quite understand the extent to which learning foilers are about to blow up at any second.

dyyylan

Since 14 May 2014
26 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Jun 25, 16 6:03 am     Reply with quote

It's funny you posted this, I had been looking at this foil for a while and thought something was broken on their website when the picture went from bright green to the weird green and black colors, since all the videos show it being a solid green. And then I received mine with the "brushed" look, I guess they changed it at some point.

For what it's worth, I like the brushed look, makes it look less like cheap plastic.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jun 26, 16 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

Brilliant! If I'll tell my wife we are on the cutting edge of hi tech fashion i can now get away with just sanding the trim work in our house and not actually repainting it!

People actually do this.
Usually not right before selling the house though. Laughing

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 26, 16 6:32 am     Reply with quote

bwd wrote:
Quote:

People actually do this.
Usually not right before selling the house though. Laughing

Shabby Chippy. Big thing a few years ago, made me some eBay $$. But dang, where's the wind?! Can't look at this anymore. What was I thinking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: