Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

HIPPA Argument
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Jun 17, 16 8:40 am     Reply with quote

Soooo now... about that tunnel we need to construct.

www.freeridekiting.com

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 17, 16 9:26 am     Reply with quote

Last week! I'll get more details soon of the law enforcement exchange.

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 17, 16 10:02 am    Hipaa Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I know a fair bit about hipaa and thought I would clarify a few misconceptions.

It doesn't matter that the name of the individual or name of the paramedic have been removed. This post still includes protected health information, an individual identifier( i.e. date of service) and the source of the non-permitted disclosure.

If you as a private individual, not involved in the care of an individual, are told about someones medical condition you are not bound by hipaa rules whatsoever. Only those healthcare entities specifically described in the hipaa rules are bound by the rules.

Basically, this post states very clearly that the paramedic made an non-permitted disclosure of protected health information. If I was the paramedic I would surely appreciate the entire post being scrubbed of this information. Also it doesn't matter if the paramedics name is there or not the organization(paramedic company) is responsible for their employees actions.

I didn't create the rules...nor do I enforce them

Last edited by kassak on Fri Jun 17, 16 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 17, 16 10:52 am     Reply with quote

OK, I guess I stand corrected. The HIPAA police are on NWKite. But it's still not really an issue unless the patient (injured kiter) makes it one, right?

As was mentioned before, it would be really nice if we could change the TITLE of the post so it does not include references to the location so as to avoid additional attention about this spot from the authorities. I think the RR and sheriff don't want to waste their time hassling kiters, but if there is too much attention brought to the area then they will.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 17, 16 10:53 am     Reply with quote

Last week 2 kiters were approached by a Sheriff in an SUV before they crossed the road. He stated he will write you a $500 ticket if he sees you crossing the ______. They went elsewhere.

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 17, 16 10:57 am    getting down there Reply with quote

Is there a way to get down there legally?

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 17, 16 11:40 am    Re: getting down there Reply with quote

honda1 wrote:
Is there a way to get down there legally?

I have often wondered if its possible to park at the boat launch area and walk down to the mouth of $%^&* river and just launch on the east side. On google earth there appears to somewhat of a beach there.

I agree with user124, we should remove this post.

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 17, 16 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
OK, I guess I stand corrected. The HIPAA police are on NWKite. But it's still not really an issue unless the patient (injured kiter) makes it one, right?

Definitely not the hipaa police, that is pretty insulting...

Do you want me to answer that question?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 17, 16 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

kassak wrote:
user124 wrote:

Definitely not the hipaa police, that is pretty insulting...

Do you want me to answer that question?

No offense intended, and no need to answer. I shouldn't have asked since I don't think anyone except perhaps the paramedic needs any more HIPAA education and he should get that through his employer.

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 17, 16 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:

No offense intended, and no need to answer.

I was joking...text is a tough medium

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jun 17, 16 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

I was in Windance the other day where the employee was advising a new kite buyer to go to Lyle instead of the sandbar because 'it was a much better place to kite' :/

Shef

Since 22 Oct 2014
62 Posts

PostFri Jun 17, 16 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

JeffT wrote:
I was in Windance the other day where the employee was advising a new kite buyer to go to Lyle instead of the sandbar because 'it was a much better place to kite' :/

The title of the thread remains, people are throwing each other under the bus trying to place blame and the only outcome that can come from this is a negative one. Why is this thread still here? Somebody please delete it.

D

Since 18 Apr 2015
56 Posts
Hood River

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 17, 16 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

This thread is pathetic! EVERYONE knows about Lyle! No secrets being shared here. A fellow kiter was injured and I was hoping to get a report that he was ok. WTF!!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 18, 16 10:46 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
I talked to the Para-medic ______ yesterday, he or she said that the un-named victim has no issues.....

D, looks like he is OK.

I think some people may be missing the point - this spot is no secret among kiters and verbal recommendations from a kite shop aren't an issue. Maybe I'm paranoid, but excessive internet chatter on a kite forum about this spot is probably not a good thing for continued under-the-radar access. And NWkite seems to be very well indexed by google. The sheriff, BNSF etc don't care if people kite there. They just don't want to see anyone by the tracks or hear about people crossing illegally (on internet forums or otherwise). Out of site, out of mind I think.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jun 18, 16 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

Hipaa is stupid
Union Pacific is stupid
The cop that gives tickets for crossing the tracks is stuuuupid

Trifecta of stupidness

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Jun 19, 16 9:51 am     Reply with quote

oooo..........Hat trick

hoarhey

Since 20 Jul 2008
63 Posts
the corridor

PostSun Jun 19, 16 9:47 pm     Reply with quote

There seems to be an obvious correlation between railroad enforcement and people that block railroad traffic. Warren Buffet doesn't like railroad stopping for any reason.

FYI: the UP is in Oregon. BNSF is in Washington

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: