Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot surfboard?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 15, 16 6:40 am    Slingshot surfboard? Reply with quote

Like most kite companies' websites, it is impossible to decipher the differences between their surfboards. Which board would you recommend for strapless river swell riding, bump and jump and under head high coast swell?

SR

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 15, 16 7:22 am     Reply with quote

HIGHLY recommend talking with Art and his amazing crew at North Pacific Surf board in Hood River at 1020 Wasco St. All will be revealed as Art is an expert who has focused on creating boards specific to Gorge, and Coast for decades. You don't need to buy, but you will leave with your wealth of knowledge.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 15, 16 8:03 am    Slingshot Celeritas Reply with quote

Space Racer -

The 5'6" Celeritas sounds like the board you are after. I will have a 2017 for you to try.

Windance has demo days coming up June 25/26 where you can try the whole lineup.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 15, 16 9:04 am     Reply with quote

The Tyrant is a big wave board - not what you want.

The Celeritas is a great all around board - it would meet your needs. It's a classic style surf board that is easy to ride and is fun in small waves. It rides loose and easy to turn -great for wave riding but not as stable a platform to learn strapless jumps and tricks. It's a good strapless board - but the Screamer is more stable. Typically favored by OGs who like to ride river swell and carve turns.

The Screamer is a new style board (truncated nose and parallel rails) that result in a very stable board that's more user friendly for strapless riding. It's not as loose as the Celeritas - you need to have some speed and power for it to turn and slash. But it carves a great bottom turn if you're going fast. It's more stable than the Celeritas and easier to learn strapless jumping and tricks. Typically favored by younger people who have ridden skateboards.

I have not tried the Angry Swallow but I believe it's place in the lineup is somewhere between the loose surfy Celeritas and the tighter more stable Screamer.

The other boards on their website like the Alien and Ankle Biter were bad science experiments that appeal to a very narrow segment of the market and are no longer produced.

Bottom Line - try before you buy.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 15, 16 11:33 am     Reply with quote

+1 on the Celeritas. It is a great all around board and perfect for gorge swell and head high or less coastal waves. It also is a surprisingly good light wind board. I have a Glide and feel like my 5'8 celeritas is as good or better than the Glide for getting upwind in light winds. Maybe it's because I ride a 5'8", but I find it to be more stable than the Screamer for strapless. I typically ride my Celeritas strapless in the Gorge, but often throw straps on for the coast.

I have the 5'4" Screamer and it is also an incredible board, but I ride it with straps. The Screamer is faster and can carve a lot harder than the Celeritas, so I like it for big wind/big swell days in the gorge. I like it with straps so I can do strapped boosts and carve really hard on those big wind days without worrying about being separated from my board. But it doesn't catch small waves as well as the Celeritas and needs to be powered up for it to be fun.

So I guess based on your question I would recommend the Celeritas, especially if you just want one surfboard. I'm 5'10, 170# and the 5'8 seems to be the right size for me.

bdc8622

Since 31 May 2005
74 Posts
PDX

PostMon Jun 20, 16 7:33 am    2016 Celeritas 5'8" Reply with quote

Just got a 5'8". Very quick, lots of volume and light. I'm 6-1 so the 5-8 size is perfect for me. Highly recommend.

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostThu Jun 23, 16 10:57 am     Reply with quote

I ride generally Slingshot, but got recently an Airush Compact 5'9" (I am 200lb) and I love it! Great all around board for any realistic conditions!

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 28, 16 2:51 pm    Tyrant Reply with quote

I have a Tyrant and a Coupe and I love them both. I am about 235 lbs on a good day and sail on an 8 most of the time and always ride strapless. Love them both in large and small waves and on chop. Depends what mood I am in but have always really liked them both. My son had a Pit that my wife rides now and they both love that board. The SS boards that we have are a bit heavier than others but I have not been able to break one in half and thats unusual. The construction is great.

Lots of boards feel great and choose the one that feels best for you. That is what makes a board a great board. It feels great to you.

Whatever you do, don't be that middle aged guy on a surfboard with footstraps ...

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 28, 16 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

Celeritas!!!

I've got a Tyrant, Dialer, and Celeritas. Celeritas is my favorite in all Gorge conditions (perhaps tyrant would be my favorite in larger surf).

For jumping, bumping, hopping, bottom turns - Celeritas Rocks!!!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 28, 16 5:28 pm    Re: Tyrant Reply with quote

1surfer wrote:

Whatever you do, don't be that middle aged guy on a surfboard with footstraps ...

The strapped vs strapless is a never ending debate. In my mind kiting is all about progression and learning new stuff. So it's fun to learn to do both and switch it up depending on conditions and how you want to ride for the day.

Unfortunately the description of "that middle aged guy..." describes about 3/4 of the kiter population, so it's pretty hard to escape that.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 28, 16 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

WTF difference does it make if someone rides strapped or strapless?
Bored with the strapless peeps thinking their way is the only way.....

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 28, 16 9:56 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
WTF difference does it make if someone rides strapped or strapless?
Bored with the strapless peeps thinking their way is the only way.....

Lots of people are looking for a way to make themselves feel superior to others. It says more about them than anything.

In the words of a good friend, "Ride whatcha brung!"

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 28, 16 10:06 pm    Re: Tyrant Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
1surfer wrote:

The strapped vs strapless is a never ending debate. In my mind kiting is all about progression and learning new stuff. So it's fun to learn to do both and switch it up depending on conditions and how you want to ride for the day.

Unfortunately the description of "that middle aged guy..." describes about 3/4 of the kiter population, so it's pretty hard to escape that.

Yah, I should splain.

I don't care what people ride. What ever and how ever people ride for whatever reason is just fine with me. What I do care about is that every sailor on the water is mindful of the other sailors all of the time that they are sailing. My statement about "that middle aged guy..." is more of a reference to what we call a nuisance sailor where I wavesail. Has nothing to do with strapless or not. We ride waves and if people are aware of their surroundings you can fit quite a few people in the wave carousel or rotation. It just takes a moment to observe the pattern and join in accordingly. We will be out sailing the wave circuit all in harmony with bunch of us together and all is great until, the middle aged guy with foot straps on a surfboard comes along like a bull in a china shop and implodes the entire harmonious wave circuit. It just happens that where I wave sail it always really is a middle aged guy on a surfboard with footstraps. So its more of a reference to how you sail, not what you sail.

Another great example would be " The guy from Boulder". Does not matter where he is from. Its how he drives. He is the guy driving in a blizzard in the mountains and he passes you at an inappropriate speed in a Subaru/Audi/VW/Volvo with a rocket box and ski or bike rack on the roof, while texting and swerving. He is what we call
" The guy from Boulder" . Don't get me wrong, I love Boulder. They have great lunch there. Just don't drive like the guy from boulder.

So I still say "Don't be the middle aged guy on a surfboard with foot straps" to people but what I really mean is that you need to be aware of all the other sailors around you and what they are doing so you can be a courteous and respectful sailor and you are not the only sailor on the water and you DO NOT have the right of way in both directions, so pay attention.

It was just my way of saying " be a respectful sailor" and not " that guy". Thats all.

Its just hilarious because I swear, and I am not kidding, its always the middle aged guy on a surfboard with foot straps. And you ALL know the guy that I am talking about, wherever you kite. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by 1surfer on Tue Jun 28, 16 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 28, 16 11:10 pm    Re: Tyrant Reply with quote

user124 wrote:

Based upon a study that is completely biased and with 0% statistical correlation I can positively state that 75% of strapless riders are unable to jibe in straps, however the other 25% can perform magical maneuvers in the air that are both jaw dropping and magically inspiring that regularly make me consider dropping the straps.

D

Since 18 Apr 2015
56 Posts
Hood River

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 28, 16 11:18 pm     Reply with quote

Today the "middle aged guy with footstraps"was riding back and forth from the green bouy to the end of Wells while everyone else was trying to catch waves while riding down wind. Yeah, we all know that guy, and he's a dick!

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 28, 16 11:22 pm     Reply with quote

D wrote:
Today the "middle aged guy with footstraps"was riding back and forth from the green bouy to the end of Wells while everyone else was trying to catch waves while riding down wind. Yeah, we all know that guy, and he's a dick!

I don't necessarily see him as a Dick, just more of a nuisance. Try lowering the curtain on him. That usually gets the message across pretty well. Plus, its fun to do to those guys ...

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 29, 16 5:03 am     Reply with quote

1surfer wrote:
D wrote:

I don't necessarily see him as a Dick, just more of a nuisance. Try lowering the curtain on him. That usually gets the message across pretty well. Plus, its fun to do to those guys ...

This is known as "windsurfer's malaise". Wasting perfectly good setups by simply plowing from Ore-to-Wa and back. Seen it a million times, always perplexing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: