Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

jumping rally vs rpm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jun 11, 16 7:35 pm    jumping rally vs rpm Reply with quote

I have been kiting for a few years now. I have a quiver of rally kites and primarily use the rally, although I do have a rpm. I think I have become moderately good at jumping the rally. Last week I had a chance to take the rpm out. By the way I really enjoyed how much faster it was compared to the rally. I know I need to switch over to the rpm. But for whatever reason I was not able to jump as well on the rpm. Why? I suppose it has to do with the design of the rpm. Should there be that much difference? Thoughts?

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 11, 16 11:11 pm     Reply with quote

Just my feelings on this. I'm not an instructor.
You initiate your jumps a lot sooner on the rpm. For example if you normally load your rally and sheet in around 11-12 o'clock then on the rpm sheet in around 10-11 o'clock.
You'll land faster and maybe overrun your kite. So, be ready to move the kite back in front of you.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 12, 16 5:32 am     Reply with quote

The Rally, like a Rebel etc, is more of a "pull in with a little send/whip"", whereas the RPM like a C kite is more "send it with less and later pull in."

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSun Jun 12, 16 6:36 am     Reply with quote

I have had a full quiver of RPMs for several years now (among quite a few other kites and brands) and I really enjoy them but everytime I ride a Rally I am always impressed by the superior lift and hangtime compared to the RPM but it's definitely much slower when it comes to looping.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 13, 16 7:38 am     Reply with quote

I had the same expierience - flying mostly delta shaped kites (Rally/Rebel/Bandit/etc.) I thought I had my jumps dialed in, than I got an RPM and I could not jump at all. I was talking to my friend who boosts on his RPM like crazy and realized that my load & pop sucked Sad With a C-like kite you need to have your pop dialed in and you need to time the pop and sending the kite perfectly and then you'll boost just like on any other kite. I'm still working on my pop and timing, but at least now I can jump with the RPM - still I'm yet to go as high as I can with the delta kites.

MrGie

Since 17 Feb 2015
55 Posts

PostMon Jun 13, 16 3:54 pm    rpm design Reply with quote

RPM is designed to pull like a motherf*cker. This is why it is so awesome for unhooked tricks. It will pull you no matter how much you resist, therefore creating more line tension and larger boosts if you can resist the pull. To boost high on RPM, you want to be a bit more aggressive than when flying Rally. If you're not aggressive, you can't hold your edge against the kite to build the resistance and slingshot yourself into the clouds.

How to be more aggressive?

Right before you initiate the jump, begin steering the kite to 12 AND go a bit downwind for just a fraction of a second. This will release the tension in your lines, allowing your muscles to relax and prepare for aggressive resistance. This will also send the kite a bit deeper into the wind window. If you're practicing unhooked, this will also enable you to unhook easier.

Then, inhale and hold your breath (exhaling makes muscles relaxed and you don't want that when boosting high), push against the kite like your life depended on it while fully sheeting in. If you took the first step right and started sending the kite to 12 before you slacked the lines, as soon as you make the lines tense again - the kite will continue it's momentum to the 12 and you'll be looking at everyone else from above in few more seconds.

If this sounds too complicated, then there is PLAN B.

PLAN B:

I always prefer to learn from observing others. Find someone on a beach who flies kites like yours and performs tricks and jumps like you would like to. Start following them and observing what they are doing. The smallest details make all the difference. Notice those details and copy them. Or even better, find them on a beach and ask to ride along. That's who I learned and now I rarely see people who can jump higher than me. If they do, I always follow them to find out what they are doing better/different.

Btw, I have a quiver of RPMs, and these are my favorite kites for unhooked and looping performance, but if I unhooked is not your domain, then I strongly suggest sticking to Rally's because you will progress much faster on them. They are more stable, more forgiving, easier to handle, have more direct feel to them, and are really really amazing kites. When you master the Rally you'll have no trouble jumping with RPM.

Find me on a beach someday and I'll who you some boosting tips/tricks that will leave your friends jealous.

Cheers Cool

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 14, 16 2:47 pm    Try Before You Buy Reply with quote

I currently have 2016 RPM's to try and will soon have 2017 Rally's, Wave SST and Ride Engine harnesses . Hit me up to find your perfect match.

I am most frequently in HR but plan to do a Stevenson , Jones Beach and possibly coast demo.

Windance is having Kite Demo June 25 & 26 where you can try all the different Slingshot Kites also

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostTue Jun 14, 16 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

This is a great discussion. How does the Wave SST compare to the RPM and Rally for jumping?

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 15, 16 5:54 am    IMHO Reply with quote

My 2 cents when talking about just jumping\ loft boosting not wakestyle , not freestyle.

1) Rally
2) RPM
3) Wave

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 15, 16 8:21 am     Reply with quote

They jump different due to where they naturally sit in the wind window.
The Wave sits deepest
The Rally in between
The RPM sits furthest forward.

So when you jump with the RPM you get a quick boosty, vertical jump. Fast and high

Jumping the Wave it's more of a lower altitude, longer horizontal flight time type jump. The Rally is in between.

That's my take on the difference.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 15, 16 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

Huh, feels slightly different to me
the RPM has that quick rip you off the water feel and then slacks
the Rally is the other end, not a huge rip but crazy hang time and slow drop
he Wave feels in between those two
just my opinion,

but they need different techniques to get the best out of them

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 15, 16 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
Huh, feels slightly different to me
the RPM has that quick rip you off the water feel and then slacks
the Rally is the other end, not a huge rip but crazy hang time and slow drop
he Wave feels in between those two
just my opinion,

but they need different techniques to get the best out of them

That's how it feels to me too. The fuel even more back than the rpm. I really am diggin the wave for all around kiting wave or not.

Electric Goat

Since 01 Aug 2014
7 Posts
Port Scandalous
Kook

PostWed Jun 15, 16 8:38 pm     Reply with quote

I regularly swap between the 2011/12 Rallys, 2014/15 Rallys, and RPMs.

My RPM sits deepest in the window and mimics skateboard/snowboard airs, fast up/fast down, and very natural feeling like a movie in regular motion...super predictable.

The newer Rallys cruise in front of me toward the edge of the window and haul upwind and jump super high and land smooth(lest pilot error) kind of like a slow motion movie (in a really good way).

The original Rallys are a friggin blast. They turn so quick that anything is possible. Quick boost, slow boost, fast landing, slow landing, unplanned kite loops.

I can't wait to ride the Wave SST someday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: