Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

frenchmans bar to sauvies and back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 07, 16 6:04 am    frenchmans bar to sauvies and back! Reply with quote

Yesterday was the second time in a week to successfully make it to Collins beach and back down to frenchmans bar on my biggest upwind journey yet as a foiler. I started at around 3:30 yesterday with KSS and made it about 2 ½ miles upwind before he had to head back and I attempt this solo. The river encounters a bend which makes for some gusty conditions. Constantly watching both directions for ships I found a window where I made it past the bend of the river and only encountered one ship, a gravel barge. I’m unsure if this is even possible on any other type of board given the currents, gusty winds and the upwind tacks I was able to make. At some point, I was tacking straight up the river. Anyhow a super fun experience to make it, I’ve been wanting to do this for the past 2 summers. Every time I got to a certain point I would have to turn back due to either conditions or fear of dropping my kite and walking back on the shore. Last summer I think I was attempting this when I broke my foot.
Last week I did this with dan but didn’t have my GPS running. So this time I made sure to track it to show you the reaches I made. It took just over an hour to reach Collins beach and just under an hour to make it back to vancouver. The gravel barge that was heading upriver I passed it on my upwind journey right about when I got to the river bend at reeder beach and I was able to catch up to it again on the downwind section right about at frenchmans. Super lucky to time it so didn’t have the larger car carrier wind shadow ships. I don’t even like to be on the water when they go by. I think my time on the water is still faster than if I drove my car around to reeder beach from the couve. The stretch of river is about 7.5 miles. I did it there and back and recorded about 30 miles. I think the upwind portion was about 20 miles logged. I did it on one of my foils and a 8.5m kite.
here's some data from my suunto watch and a trace GPS sensor mounted to the board.

http://surf.traceup.com/stats/u?uId=629239&vId=23248

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move108708903

not sure if this video will play or not but posting it for those that might want to see the animation

https://www.facebook.com/jim.stringfellow.1/videos/10153722796784352/

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jun 07, 16 6:33 am     Reply with quote

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 07, 16 6:40 am     Reply with quote

Very cool to see the boundaries being pushed - way to go

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 07, 16 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Nice score. SI blew like the old days yesterday. Will it deliver again today?

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Jun 07, 16 8:35 am     Reply with quote

Niiice work!

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostTue Jun 07, 16 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Tacking straight up river is fun! but definitely some funkiness below that river bend. I'll try and not leave you high and dry next time. Nice work! Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Jun 07, 16 9:42 am     Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 07, 16 10:15 am     Reply with quote

1% of the kiters control 99% of the upwind. This is unjust and inherently unfair. Foils should be taxed heavily so as to bring some balance back into our sport. Perhaps sea anchors could be required on all foil masts... Of course I'm getting my foil gear before that happens! Very Happy

Nice job pushing the limits Stringy!! Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 07, 16 10:56 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
1% of the kiters control 99% of the upwind. This is unjust and inherently unfair. Foils should be taxed heavily so as to bring some balance back into our sport. Perhaps sea anchors could be required on all foil masts... Of course I'm getting my foil gear before that happens! Very Happy

Nice job pushing the limits Stringy!! Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Ha. Screw the sea anchor. . .we should just build a wall on the beach and keep land folk out of our windy waters.

anders

Since 01 May 2012
107 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 10, 16 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Props to reaching your goal. Now if I could figure out how to foil to work id be set.

Whats next for your distance treks?

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostFri Jun 10, 16 7:22 am     Reply with quote

anders wrote:

Frenchmans to Jones and back!!!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jun 10, 16 8:19 am     Reply with quote

MikeZ wrote:
anders wrote:

Going to one up ya. . . Cannon Beach or Arch Cape to Manzanita. Boat support recommended!

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 10, 16 9:01 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
MikeZ wrote:
anders wrote:

Going to one up ya. . . Cannon Beach or Arch Cape to Manzanita. Boat support recommended!

I've often thought about a DOWNWINDER from Fort stevens to Cannon beach. But Manzanita is doable I think. A locator beacon would be a good Idea.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jun 10, 16 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

actually a really bad idea without jetski support - a boat might not even be able to get to you - this went thru my head as i rounded the point at manzo headed upwind for shorties

the foil opens up alot - but failing around rocky headlands might score you a darwin award...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: