Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cape Cod National Seashore Ban Lawsuit
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 25, 16 10:17 pm    Cape Cod National Seashore Ban Lawsuit Reply with quote

Kiting has been effectively banned at all Cape Cod beaches which are under the National Park Service (NPS) jurisdiction, which is much of Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Additionally it has been banned at Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge which is under the Fish and Wild Service. A fairly active group of local who hang out virutally at masskiting.com are planning a lawsuit against the NPS. Pretty big move. Essentially, the rationale for the ban is that is disturbs the piping plovers but the science behind it is lacking. They are seeking support in the form of signatures on a petition and a gofundme page donation for legal fees.

https://www.change.org/p/cape-cod-national-seashore-superintendent-george-price-support-modern-green-recreational-activities-in-our-national-parks-and-seashores?recruiter=545234933&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

https://www.gofundme.com/txrfs3pj

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 26, 16 6:31 am    The Cape Reply with quote

Signed.

Cape Cod is an awesome place to kite with multiple spots from pristine waves to butter flat. We don't want to loose this spot and a then a trend starts.

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostThu May 26, 16 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Signed.

Banning kiteboarding anywhere is a tragedy.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 26, 16 7:46 am    Signed Reply with quote

Kiteboarding is not a crime

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

saleeba

Since 05 Mar 2006
237 Posts
Masshole
Stoked

PostThu May 26, 16 10:05 am     Reply with quote

Signed! The cape is one of my favorite kiting destinations. This ban is ridiculous. Would be really sad to lose access to such a beautiful place.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu May 26, 16 11:22 am     Reply with quote

Signed.

We have friends that have shops on Buzzards Bay and out on the Cape that have continuously worked with the parks service and environmental organizations for over 2 decades managing these issues.
it's a shame that it comes down to this, but access for all recreational users is important.

Remember, this could just as easily happen to us here in the Gorge, except it would be fueled via safety and liability issues.

www.Purestokesports.com

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 26, 16 12:03 pm    Important Reply with quote

Not to change this topic , but think about this the next time you kite up the channel between the ES and Sandbar.

Pepi wrote:

Remember, this could just as easily happen to us here in the Gorge, except it would be fueled via safety and liability issues.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostThu May 26, 16 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

I grew up partially in Cape Cod (Chatham), my dad's side of the family is from there. Spent every summer sailing, fishing, etc around Monomoy and the Cape Cod Nat'l Seashore. The kiting ban there is ridiculous, I'm really glad the Mass kiters are getting organized and taking on the feds.

They may be able to team up with other users that have been banned on the Cape... like fat-tired bicycles aren't allowed Cape Cod Nat'l Seashore either. Makes no sense. I'm a bird biologist and I don't think either kiting or biking will hurt the plovers. Its an abuse of power by the feds, and they should be called out.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostFri May 27, 16 6:55 am     Reply with quote

Unfortunately some kiters view kiting as a right and not a privledge, and conduct themselves in that manner....whether it is Cape Cod, the Sandbar, Rufus or the shorelines of Lake Michigan. Have respect and demonstrate that to others; it goes a long way to minimizing these issues and preserving the privledge of launching off publicly owned areas. Spread the stoke, don't foster animosity...

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri May 27, 16 11:07 am    Respect gets Respect! Reply with quote

west wrote:
Unfortunately some kiters view kiting as a right and not a privledge, and conduct themselves in that manner....whether it is Cape Cod, the Sandbar, Rufus or the shorelines of Lake Michigan. Have respect and demonstrate that to others; it goes a long way to minimizing these issues and preserving the privledge of launching off publicly owned areas. Spread the stoke, don't foster animosity...

WORD!

Respect gets Respect. Got to give to get. . .

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostFri May 27, 16 6:04 pm     Reply with quote

you guys aren't understanding the context of the Cape Cod situation.

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostTue May 31, 16 4:46 am    Sasquatch, West, Reply with quote

Outer Cape kiters have respected all the rules and regulations, and are some of the most responsible and cleanest beach users, for which we have the support of local Selectmen (our local form of government) who allowed us to continue using town beaches when the Feds first threatened to ban us. As I also stated in the petition, because 6 Outer & Lower Cape towns fall within the Seashore's boundaries the beaches ultimately fall within Federal jurisdiction, overriding the rights of those 6 towns to manage their own beaches as they choose.

Do you guys- West & Sasquatch- really believe it's ok for the US Federal Government to erode the rights of local governing bodies and law abiding citizens in order to uphold the misperceptions of a single appointed official who is unwilling to negotiate with select groups due to personal bias? THAT is the issue, not our conduct. But thanks for the unwarranted criticism. Real respectful on your part.

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostThu Jun 02, 16 3:57 pm    Please disregard the haters Reply with quote

I hope no one decides not to sign the petition or help get the word out based on West's or Sasquatch's comments. They clearly know nothing about the issue and just want to throw OC kiters (Outer Cape) under the bus.

Truth is local public officials here understand we have behaved as stewards for responsable and non-impactful recreational activities in the National Seashore and have been supportive of us. It is the Seashore Superintendent alone who has the power to enact the ban or reverse it, and he has chosen to ignore any input from locals who live in the towns that fall within the Seashore's boundaries. He claims our kites scare away nesting shorebirds so kitesurfing must be banned along the entire 40 miles of Atlantic shoreline. If you read the petition and the comments you'll understand how wrong West & Sasquatch are.

Thank you to Timbers, Kassak, and everyone else who has supported our right to kite in a safe & responsable manner. And please continue to help us get the word out. We probably have only one shot at this, and if we lose it could set a precedence for parks around the country.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 03, 16 6:25 am    signed Reply with quote

Capekiter--

I don't think Sasquatch or others were trying to "throw Cape kiters under the bus". The original comment was aimed at all kite spots and it is important to remember to respect other users so kiting doesn't get a bad name.

Anyway, we support you.

Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostSat Jun 04, 16 11:41 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah I bet the cape cod users are respectful and it's probably a small group. I certainly support you and will sign. I think west and squatch were just hinting at the fact that here in the northwest, gorge in particular, there are a TON of kiters, and some of them (small number) are lame, disrespectful kiters who could blow it for everyone. I dealt with similar stuff in skateboarding back in the day and it sucks when your playtime/recreation/ exercise becomes illegal.

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostSun Jun 05, 16 6:21 am     Reply with quote

Totally understand. I think kiters everywhere have to fight the stigma of being the skaters of the ocean. One bad egg riding thru a swim area can ruin it for all of us.

Boston press picked up on our little lawsuit:http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/06/kitesurfers_battle_ban

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 22, 16 7:52 pm    Signed Reply with quote

Signed, only 289 more needed to meet the goal, so also ----> BUMP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: