Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rainier KiteBeach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 21, 07 3:15 pm    Rainier KiteBeach? Reply with quote

I was browsing Google earth and came across this spot.

46° 6'56.14"N
122°59'18.13"W

it's just downriver from the bridge. Has anyone tried this spot? It looks like it could be good... Closer than Jones beach.

Nak

Rainier KiteBeach??
 Rainier KiteBeach??  Rainier Kitebeach.jpg 

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 21, 07 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

jump the highway?

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostWed Feb 21, 07 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

definitely looks like something worth checking out. looks like it could be a lot of sand driving to get out towards the water edge.

although, most times i head to jones i rarely find any wind in that section. if there's no wind at the apex of the bridge then i doubt there would be much down at that beach. but it sure would be nice to have a place that's 15 mins closer.

recon mission...

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 21, 07 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

I've never noticed much wind at the bridge either, but I usually head to Jones in the morning before the wind picks up. Maybe this spot picks up later in the day? Something to think about till Spring.

Nak

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostFri Feb 23, 07 9:18 am     Reply with quote

My son and I have, it works best with any north wind, N, NE, NW. If it starts turning west you'll find rotor wind off the hills. I think that shot was taken before the parking area was put in. It has nice facilities, restroom, big area with grass but high river bank lip. If this is the same area a sewage treatment pond lies just down river, so steer clear of outlet.

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostFri Feb 23, 07 9:33 am     Reply with quote

My mistake, the spot I was pointing to is up river from bridge, right in the town of Rainer. I think that spot is where the gypsum/wall board plant went up.

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostFri Feb 23, 07 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Sorry, should have pulled up google map before I open my keyboard. Gypsum plant is just up river from your location.

J-dizzle

Since 25 Apr 2006
34 Posts
kALAMA, WA

PostSat Feb 24, 07 10:57 am    Rainer kite spot! Reply with quote

I live in longview and kite the local area as much as posible. Rainier beach never gets wind, although their is Prescot beach 15min south of town wich often gets a 14-18north wind in the summer evenings. but i usualy kite kalama if their is a north wind. Sticking with jone is always your best bet though, and the drive is 30 minuts from the bridge.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostSun Feb 25, 07 8:43 am    Re: Rainer kite spot! Reply with quote

J-dizzle wrote:
Rainier beach never gets wind, although their is Prescot beach 15min south of town wich often gets a 14-18north wind in the summer evenings.

Don't right-it-off completely. One day last summer I kited the section of river from the Rainier park upwind almost to the bridge and then back, downwind. It was the cleanest wind of the year. Give it a look if it's blowing NW and cappin' along the entire section from the bridge to the park.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Feb 26, 07 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everybody! Seems like a mixed jury... Question Definitely worth a recon mission. If there was wind, and the upwind island didn't block it, upwind of the beach downwind of the island looks like it could be some great flat water?

Nak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: