Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

beginner foiling
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon May 23, 16 12:07 pm    Re: Is tacking easier with a foil? Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
Foiling interests me. I ride a surfboard strapped and strapless, and I can jibe and switch my feet consistently without straps, and sometimes with straps, but I haven't mastered the tack. Is it any easier with a foil since you can point it more up wind than with a surfboard?

Yes. But doing it while up on the foil is much harder. You start by touching the board back down to the water.

www.naishkites.com

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 16 7:47 am     Reply with quote

If you are intrigued with the concept of foiling, I say give it a try. this summer it's probably much easier to demo a foil than ever before. joe the kiter has a demo setup that is a pretty easy ride. the "yellow mast" setup can be found at event site or stevenson.
I have some demo trainers but they get loaned out a bit. I'll have one this weekend for riders to check out. these setups are not the fastest or nimble of foils. I tend to slow them down a little by adding a softer edge to the wings (this helps with not getting cut too!)
check with the local hood river shops Second Wind Sports, Windance, and Big Winds. They all carry foils. There's the LP, SS, Bellacera, LF, Cab, Lift, etc.
anyhow I would give it a go

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue May 24, 16 9:48 am     Reply with quote

We have the Liquid Force/Stringy modified "Short Bus" available for demo at 2nd Wind Sports.
FYI - We do charge a demo fee (applicable towards any foil purchase) and a credit card deposit (ie - you break it, you bought it. No other way to go about it).

Best thing I think for getting into foiling really is investing in a set up, have it properly tuned for you by the seller/salesperson and then put your time in on the water.
Absolutely no other way.

The Short Bus is a great way to "try it out" but the short mast is really just a set of training wheels for you that, in the long run, ends up handicapping your skill levels.
Same goes with shoving your mast all the way back on the tracks, if you have them. It develops bad habits and does not allow you the ability to properly work on your balance and skills, which again, just takes time.
I liken picking up foiling to about the exact same as learning to kiteboard at the beginning, challenging, confounding and insanely addictive all at once.

www.Purestokesports.com

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 24, 16 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

I've never foiled so I have no idea, but it seems like the main advantage of the short mast would be to minimize the pain of the inevitable frequent crashes when you are first getting the feel for the foil. Once you aren't crashing every 5 feet then you switch to a longer mast, right? The short mast appeals to me because one of the main things that has kept me from trying foiling are rumors of painful crashes and risk of injury. But maybe these risks are overblown?

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 16 5:10 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
I've never foiled so I have no idea, but it seems like the main advantage of the short mast would be to minimize the pain of the inevitable frequent crashes when you are first getting the feel for the foil. Once you aren't crashing every 5 feet then you switch to a longer mast, right? The short mast appeals to me because one of the main things that has kept me from trying foiling are rumors of painful crashes and risk of injury. But maybe these risks are overblown?

so there are a couple of things some of the early foiling pioneers have learned and have helped with foiling progression. the shorter mast works great. less pitchy so wipeouts not so severe. foot hooks have allowed even the timid riders to think about getting on a foilboard considering the fear of tweaking your ankles or worse yet getting scorpioned.
I like to put new foilers (or wannabe foilers) on a short mast, but I also put them on a setup that has been detuned. what I mean is I slow down the wings and mast so it's not ever going at blazing speeds. this is all fine and dandy once you're a proficient foiler, but when you want to learn, slowing things down can really help with understanding things and building that muscle memory. Once you get that you can start riding "normal" foils

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue May 24, 16 5:26 pm     Reply with quote

Anybody tried, or have an opinion on towing the foil with a boat or jet ski? Take the kite out of the equation and just focus on getting the hang of the foil?

I figure the biggest problem will be trading a sure thing session on familiar gear for a beginner beating with the foil. On the other hand, once you are foiling, you get more time on the water in lighter wind conditions.

With a tow, you might be able to work out some of the foiling bugs on a no wind day.

I think waiting for the water to warm up a bit before taking my beating is a solid idea.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 16 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
Anybody tried, or have an opinion on towing the foil with a boat or jet ski? Take the kite out of the equation and just focus on getting the hang of the foil?

I figure the biggest problem will be trading a sure thing session on familiar gear for a beginner beating with the foil. On the other hand, once you are foiling, you get more time on the water in lighter wind conditions.

With a tow, you might be able to work out some of the foiling bugs on a no wind day.

I think waiting for the water to warm up a bit before taking my beating is a solid idea.

I know a few that went this way. It will work. the biggest difference is mostly with the pull. with a kite, it pulls you up while a boat pulls horizontally. much more strain on your back. I tried behind a jetski once and thought I was going to break my spine!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed May 25, 16 6:56 am     Reply with quote

So I have to admit, that the hockey helmet was not really my original idea. It came from a guy that almost lost his eye while trying to learn his kitehydrofoil behind a jetski. And I have heard of two, and witnessed one other incident leading me to this line of thought. From second hand experience, I am thinking you need the hockey helmet behind a jetski more so than with a kite.

It seems that the horizontal pull of the jet ski has more of a chance to power the foil in a mutual direction with a falling rider.

Don't think I know everything on this subject. Just a warning.

lawnmower

Since 14 Dec 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 25, 16 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Started fingering some foils on the beach. Hats off to the designers. They truly are works of engineering, manufacturing art.

hshim

Since 20 Apr 2016
11 Posts
UAE

PostWed May 25, 16 7:06 am     Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the short mast thing and it's not just because I learned the hard way....

First off no rank beginner should start kiting on a foil period.

Only people who have done the TT and hopefully the directional board thing should attempt foiling as having a really good feel for the kite is essential to foilboard riding.

So getting back to my initial point, if you're a proficient kiteboarder with lots of miles on a TT and or surfboard just learn with a standard mast.

All of us who started without the advent of these short masts learned by riding the board on the water without the foil engaged (centre of gravity forward of the lift point). As you get the feel for this you slowly creep your way back on the board till the foil starts to lift you.

Yes you will crash. Yes you will feel like a total beginner again but knowing how to get up on a directional and not having to worry about kite control, you're most of the way there. Again, I think most should try to learn on a less floaty board WITHOUT STRAPS as I think this is the reason for most of the foiling injuries; hence the advent of the half straps. Just ditch them all together and learn to foil without straps from the outset. Might take a tad longer to get going but you are way less likely to injure yourself. IMHO.....

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 25, 16 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
Anybody tried, or have an opinion on towing the foil with a boat or jet ski?

I've foiled behind the boat and would not recommend it for learning. The way you wipe out is such that the foil will hit you when behind the boat.

If that doesn't scare you off, be ready for lots of slack situations as the foil can easily glide faster than the boat at times. Also stay out of the white water left by the prop as it doesn't have the lift of normal water and lots of turbulence.

I learned strapless but added a handle (tubular webbing on top of my mast bolts) to hold the foil in position when water starting. That's what I would recommend.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed May 25, 16 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

That pretty much settles it for me on the boat/jetski thing. Seems to be regarded as much more likely to end in a blood bath than with a kite.

Definetly get a hockey helmet if you go down the jetski path.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed May 25, 16 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! No boats or jet skis. I can see the problems with that idea.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu May 26, 16 7:47 am     Reply with quote

Excellent post with spot on advice!!

hshim wrote:
I'm not sure about the short mast thing and it's not just because I learned the hard way....

First off no rank beginner should start kiting on a foil period.

Only people who have done the TT and hopefully the directional board thing should attempt foiling as having a really good feel for the kite is essential to foilboard riding.

So getting back to my initial point, if you're a proficient kiteboarder with lots of miles on a TT and or surfboard just learn with a standard mast.

All of us who started without the advent of these short masts learned by riding the board on the water without the foil engaged (centre of gravity forward of the lift point). As you get the feel for this you slowly creep your way back on the board till the foil starts to lift you.

Yes you will crash. Yes you will feel like a total beginner again but knowing how to get up on a directional and not having to worry about kite control, you're most of the way there. Again, I think most should try to learn on a less floaty board WITHOUT STRAPS as I think this is the reason for most of the foiling injuries; hence the advent of the half straps. Just ditch them all together and learn to foil without straps from the outset. Might take a tad longer to get going but you are way less likely to injure yourself. IMHO.....

www.Purestokesports.com

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
98 Posts

PostFri May 27, 16 5:24 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
Thanks everybody! No boats or jet skis. I can see the problems with that idea.

I learned behind my boat. No drama, no bloodbath. I think it has pros and cons. One big pro: something to do when there's no wind! As well, steady power, steady pull, without having to worry about flying a kite. Never end up downwind with the walk of shame, just keep going on and on until your legs are too tired to do any more.

Another pro might be that you are being pulled "downwind", so the toeside/heelside carving motion comes more natural. My first times consistently getting up on the foil was on the turn from heelside to toeside at outside edge of the wake...would just pop out of the water for a moment, WOW, DOING IT! Then back to touch down and the pogo'ing. I realize now that was probably because of the acceleration of the turn, vs being too slow when going straight.

And there's some advice...go slow to start, don't even try to get up on the foil. Just cruise around with it in the water and board on surface. Then can experiment with little unweighting to get it slightly out of the water and back down. This might be at fast walking or light jogging pace, 5-6kts. If you do go behind boat, DON'T go too fast to start!!! Ensure driver has a light touch on the throttle. And if you feel you are losing it, kick that board off quick and jump away.

For me, took maybe 7-10 tries to get it dialed. Then first time on kite, it was up and going. Good times!

PS another benefit of boat: your friends/family videoing your endless wipeouts up close and personal....hilarity ensues, the payment for the boat driver and spotter is you being the butt of the joke for a while.... Smile

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri May 27, 16 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Searching for learning to foil videos, I found lots of foilers being towed. It looked like a good way to spend a windless day and entertain the crew.
Low and slow seems to be the key.

It looks like there will be a swarm of new foilers this year.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun May 29, 16 6:56 am     Reply with quote

juandesooka,

I like what you said. Maybe the problem is not that behind a boat is dangerous, but rather that we perceive it to be easier and thus go too fast at the beginning.

From now on, I think that I will give the folloowing warning when questioned about it:

"Behind a boat can work but is dangerous if you immediately start out trying to get up on the foil. Keep it under 10knots and keep the board on the water for your first hour or session. Then slowly try to get the board up onto the foil at over 10knots of boat speed. A hockey helmet cannot hurt."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: