Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Over Powered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 29, 16 8:08 pm    Over Powered Reply with quote

What I see is most people are riding way overpowered;
....... I say if you can not keep the bar against the chicken about 60% of the time your over powered or need to change knots;
........ Keeping that bar close to the chicken has benefits , if you need to let go of the bar the kite goes neutral fast.
... If your not king of the air; rig smaller!!!
D>P> just keep that bar low and your back arched then we know your in control!!

Last edited by The minnow on Sat Jun 04, 16 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 29, 16 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

That advice makes no sense for the gorge where it's rarely steady enough to keep your bar in one place 60% of the time. Constant trim adjustments are needed and even then the gusts and lulls can be too much.

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 30, 16 6:09 am    style and safety Reply with quote

Point is in general and for newbies; Riding over powered is no fun; and dangerous;
.... Keeping that bar low is better then you are closer to being unhooked;
I normally rig so the kite fly's fast; Ridding overpowered is much easier if you are a newbie, so they do it; I did; I want to see style !!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Apr 30, 16 8:09 am    Re: style and safety Reply with quote

The minnow wrote:
Point is in general and for newbies; Riding over powered is no fun; and dangerous;

Okay I'll Bite.

While I think I now understand your point better (I believe you are advocating for kiting safety), there are of course multiple perspectives on the same subject...

Learning to ride over powered is a skill just like other progression skills in kiting. In the gorge a skill that should not be overlooked as the wind can pick up rather quickly.

A mixture of edging your board hard upwind while keeping your center of gravity very low or conversely absorbing the gusts by pointing your board downwind are learned techniques that will allow you to safely ride while overpowered.

It's the launching and landing where things can become dangerous.

It's also important to consider proximity to others while riding overpowered. Give yourself (and others around you) extra space so you have the option to either edge upwind or give way downwind during gusts.

In my opinion relating riding overpowered to newbies is like comparing twin-tips to surfboards. It really comes down to preference. Different techniques are utilized when riding overpowered vs underpowered. Unless of course you were ruben lenten back in the day.... That dude used to loop his kite in massive overpowered conditions like an apache helicopter on a mission. Get well Ruben!!!

All this being said, there are a ton of skills I would love to learn that require not riding overpowered... More skills are better than less. Thats what makes kitesurfing fun... Always something new to learn.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Apr 30, 16 11:56 am     Reply with quote

One man's "over powered" is another man's "just right"

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Apr 30, 16 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Big John hit the nail on the head. Here is my attempt at simplification.

When I ride overpowered, I boost and keep the kite out of the back of the window.

When I ride powered, I loop as much as possible mostly on the edge of the window. No boosting because I am underpowered for that compared to when I am riding overpowered.

When I ride underpowered, I use the board to slice and dice off of every available gust or loop generated yank. This is how I like to ride waves. I just use the board more.

Skill is being able to move between the three seamlessly. I have a hard time going overpowered now that I seek to rig underpowered. And yes, as a beginner I felt better overpowered. Now I am the opposite, but that does not mean I cannot have just as much fun (for a while) during an overpowered session.

I am always competing against all the other kiters out on the water - The biggest smile wins! Usually that winner is the beginner who just made it upwind for the first time. Or it could be the intermediate who just landed their first double backroll. Rarely is it me as I put lots of time in for the same payoff that I have had before.

Hail to the newbies! And stay safe.

Last edited by Matt V on Mon May 09, 16 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSun May 08, 16 8:02 am    17m kites Reply with quote

After years of ridding 17m kites ;
thats power!,,,,
when ridding that size of kite you better be ready for power!!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun May 08, 16 8:19 am    Re: 17m kites Reply with quote

The minnow wrote:
After years of ridding 17m kites ;
thats power!,,,,
when ridding that size of kite you better be ready for power!!

Rufus today will be plenty powerfull I suspect... No 17m required.

rufus.png 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 31, 16 8:55 am     Reply with quote

Only Secret Agent would show up with a 17m kite in the gorge.

BSRHOADS

Since 06 Oct 2006
24 Posts

PostTue May 31, 16 10:14 am     Reply with quote

"One man's "over powered" is another man's "just right"

Amen brother

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostThu Jun 02, 16 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Riding only has one "d"

I kept thinking you were getting rid of a bunch of
Stuff Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: