Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Finally Got Our Rescue Sled
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 26, 16 12:35 pm    Finally Got Our Rescue Sled Reply with quote

Got hooked on using a rescue sled at Flores last year. Took better than six months to get ours up here, but it's finally here. It's a beast. This one came with the military mount (the best, bombproof mount), but not willing to drill three large holes in my Waverunner's deck. Waiting on a new bumper mount from the mfr., which will work just fine for us.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5wHRZldBOtU/Vvby5A3HP9I/AAAAAAAAFLQ/vmIEzPWBqTEeCSMFpF-oAa8ui1tNSTDUQCCo/s1024-Ic42/upload_-1

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 27, 16 7:31 am    sled Reply with quote

Cool. Does this mean you will be patrolling the event site after work? Very Happy

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSun Mar 27, 16 7:49 am     Reply with quote

Looks like you got a sweet setup in the works. Let us know how it works out for ya!
Oh and please don't enable the newbies at the event site to expect there gonna be rescued haha. pretty soon they'll start demanding a service and endanger themselves and others by making false confident decisions Laughing

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 27, 16 8:23 am    Re: sled Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Cool. Does this mean you will be patrolling the event site after work? Very Happy

I'm thinking a water taxi and recovery service.

Actually, these make getting a kiter on board really easy. Also helps insure lines don't get sucked up (a little first hand experience with that). Will be nice to have when hauling gear/bodies over to Wells or other less crowded areas. Mostly got it so I could recover our Nuggets should they end up in a bind (or vice versa). Here's a shot of The Girl heading out for a lesson at Flores last year. Works pretty slick.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4QAbUKJSoG4/VvgHcRraY5I/AAAAAAAAFLo/9kciDGPh4Y4SlPXtddAnFXS-H_mJT-1nQCCo/s576-Ic42/upload_-1

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 28, 16 11:32 am    Sled Reply with quote

Wait, are you calling me a newbe? How many days do you have to kite before your not called a newbe? Years ago before kiting there was guys patrolling on jet skis. You know back when windsurfing ruled..

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostMon Mar 28, 16 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

Now now, No personal attacks happening here. Just making a light hearted joke about a potential situation developing at the already congested event site. (You know, the one Kiteboarders took over when windsurfing died)

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Mar 28, 16 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

you can have more fun with that thing

jetski jaws.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 28, 16 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

I have the perfect surfboard for that (for sale in the classifieds section of course).

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 28, 16 5:22 pm     Reply with quote

I'm just having fun. If you knew me you would understand. But really, when does one consider themselves no longer a newbe? I started kiting last may and got 40 plus days. One of my instructors called my a intermediate in September. Just trying to keep myself from getting in over my head.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 31, 16 8:38 pm     Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
But really, when does one consider themselves no longer a newbe? .

Maybe it is when you can comfortably answer that question yourself

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 01, 16 4:08 am     Reply with quote

Looks awesome! I'd recommend a point-of-sale unit on the sled so you can get paid for all your saves. Like Whistler, you never know when international riders will stiff you for saving their ass.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 01, 16 5:34 am     Reply with quote

Ha! That reminds me of last year. House guest from GWN lost a pricey board 1st day here. Guy finds it and calls. We meet to pick it up. House guest doesn't offer anything for the recovery (no beer, no pizza, no beer, no money, no beer, nada). Ridiculous and embarrassing. I think it's bad form to take a reward, but much worse not to offer. Of course, I'd never turn down a Kolsch at DM for any reason. In fact, I propose Kolsch become a form of legal tender. That surfboard I have for sale? That's a 60-Kolsch and 2 Jersey Pie board, if anyone is interested.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Apr 03, 16 11:53 am     Reply with quote

Those guys down in floras lake are pro. Watching them operate on the ski, while pulling sled, balancing, holding kite, and throttle with one hand is something else. You don't realize how challenging the ski operators role is - Balancing all that is almost more challenging than the actual kite surfing.

Good luck with your venture - it will be fun to figure it all out....

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 03, 16 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

Between kit lessons, I got waverunner/kiter lessons from them. One day we were out there and a guy's Naish blew off the beach and was heading downwind like a shot. Hopped on my waverunner, flew down the lake and as I arrived the kite fipped right into the perfect position. Rolled up, snagged it with one hand and zipped it back to shore like a boss. Wish there was some viddy. Almost looked like I knew what I was doing. Same day, I sucked my kid's lines into the waverunner, so my awesomeness was short lived.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 04, 16 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

So what exactly happens when kite line is sucked up into a jet ski? Obviously there will be damage issues to the lines and ski but I am more concerned about the risks to the kiter.

I have always had this fear that the jet ski operator would gun the ski and the lines would be sucked into the motor at such a high speed that the lines could entangle the kiter and cause severe injury. But maybe this jet ski intake scenario is unfounded and the whole event is a slow paced slurp, gurgle, stall the engine event.

Are there any experts on this topic?

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 04, 16 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

He had snapped a line and it was the wayward line that got sucked up. The other lines were where they were supposed to be. It was a slow process. Plenty of warning that it was happening and opportunity to shut the ski down. Cut the line at the intake and used the ski to get back. Dealt with the wrapped up mess once back on the trailer. It was no big thang. With a sled, kiter gets on considerably further away from the intake, so even less of a chance of a mishap (unless dealing with a snapped line again as that thing could hanging somewhere unexpected.).

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 24, 16 10:37 am     Reply with quote

After a bazillion emails between the owner of Extractor Sled and mtself, I decided to used the "military mount" that came with my used sled. Due to cost, he quit offering this mount last year. Beefy. Since we really only have the Waverunner for kiting (or paddler transport up to the secret spot), the loss of use of the swim platform is no loss. I can imagine the fun of trying to mount the sled in rolling water, so I'm glad I'll be able to mount it up in the parking lot, flip it up (will use a strap to keep it up) and splash the works as one unit. Also discovered he no longer makes this particular board due to cost and time (he broke it down and it was a 50 hour build time for this style). Found time to mount the mount and test fit. I have lots of 1/2" marine shock cord that I'll run through upper handles and down to the WR's U-bolts (for re-centering and to keep wind from flipping the sled up and braining me). Not having much luck with photos, so here you go if interested: https://picasaweb.google.com/111431041795403190698/6277188119423592417?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKj6g9vj5uLUMg&feat=directlink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: