Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

There is a first time for everything!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostSat Feb 06, 16 5:22 pm    There is a first time for everything! Reply with quote

There is a first time for everything!

For many years I have been smugly satisfied that as a snowkiter I am often kiting intermediate terrain which poses no risk to being buried in an avalanche. On risky days when the avy cycle was considerable or high, I knew that my friends and I were safe from avalanche danger and could enjoy the deep, fresh powder without worry. Further, on steeper terrain, we are usually kiting on the windward slope, the mountain side that is quite stable.

However, as our kite skills have advanced that has smugness has disappeared. We are seeking out steeper and steeper terrain and placing ourselves into situations that do pose an objective hazard to snow slides.

Recently I was kiting in Wyoming’s Big Horn mountains and was seeing lots of small pockets of wind loaded terrain releasing remotely. These pockets of unstable, wind loaded snow were popping 400 - 500 yards away as I kited nearby on shallower terrain. They were running on faceted snow buried near the ground level.

On our second day, a group of us arrived on the SW side of Bald Mountain and saw that nothing had released after considerable (3 -4 feet) of new snowfall. Having kited this side of the mountain many, many times I know the mountain like my backyard. I knew that if I kited the cornice line I could bust the cornice, get some movement, release the hang fire and thereby stabilize the lower slopes. I launched my kite, my 15m Ozone Summit, and proceeded to make one pass above the cornice. Nothing moved. The cornice was rock solid, anchored firmly in place. Following that, I made a couple passes on the lower slope, keeping well away from the overhanging portions of the cornice. Still nothing moved. Again, I was well away from any overhanging portions of the steeper ridge.

On my third pass, ripping along in the fresh powder, in an instant the slope around me erupted in a fury of moving snow. Blocks and bricks of the avalanche roiled downward. I reacted calmly and brought my kite high, took advantage of the localized ridge lift and floated my skis lightly above the maelstrom. The experience of kite skiing above the moving snow was enchanting. The visual experience of seeing an avalanche from above was amazing; it was as if I was in a river rapid. Kiting in a cascading flow of moving snow was certainly a first for me and, while momentarily exhilarating, not an experience I want to repeat.

As kiters seeking out steep terrain in high, remote mountains we need to increase our safety preparedness. Beacons, shovels, probes, experienced partners, PLB’s, first aid training, rescue training, are just a few of the basics that our sport now requires. We have long past the days of kiting in farm fields with limited skills or preparedness. The times have changed and we need to have the awareness to be ready for the unlikely day that things don’t go as planned.

Thanks for reading and windy regards,

Noah - Powered by Ozone Kites

Kiting below the pocket after the slide released, my prior tracks are visible as are the entry and exit tracks.
 Kiting below the pocket after the slide released, my prior tracks are visible as are the entry and exit tracks.  Avy 1.jpg 
Cale Benson captured this photo with his GoPro as the pocket erupted while I was kiting.
 Cale Benson captured this photo with his GoPro as the pocket erupted while I was kiting.  Avy 2.jpg 
This is another shot of the pocket. Three foot crown, about 200 yards wide, 50 foot path,
 This is another shot of the pocket. Three foot crown, about 200 yards wide, 50 foot path,  Avy 2a.jpg 
One of the many remotely released slides in the Big Horns that day. Five to 6 foot crown.
 One of the many remotely released slides in the Big Horns that day. Five to 6 foot crown.  Avy 3.jpg 
Another example of a remotely released pocket with a potential terrain trap below.
 Another example of a remotely released pocket with a potential terrain trap below.  Avy 4.jpg 

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat Feb 06, 16 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

Keep this experience on hand when you get to Haines.

www.freeridekiting.com

sagebrush

Since 31 Oct 2009
209 Posts
north,van,bc
Stoked

PostSat Feb 06, 16 7:43 pm    terrain Reply with quote

Great post,very informative.as a friend said many years ago to me,who i thought knew alot about avalanches and terrain."All the experts are dead"

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
558 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostSun Feb 07, 16 2:43 am     Reply with quote

excellent post, thanks, great reminder!

Thanks for the photos as well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: