Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The Gorge - Way east/Final Frontier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CA Delta Barger

PostFri Jul 08, 05 9:23 am    The Gorge - Way east/Final Frontier Reply with quote

Wonder if you guys can help a brudda out with some info.

Never kited the Gorge -east, but have windsurfed it many times.
Usually don't get past the Wall or Rufus because the wind and swell click really well there when it's on.

I'm curious about Boardman.

What's the wind like compared to Rufus? Little lighter? Less gusty? Launch is kite friendly? Warm water?

I'm spoiled with the steady 20 we get in the summer in the California Delta.

If it's too gusty, I might have to puss out and ride my pole-gear.

Or not...

p.s. Any one hunt it in the fall and winter?

Thanks in advance...

Barger

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 08, 05 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

The far east does blow best in the spring & fall. I never rode Boardman but 3 Mile Canyon has a friendly launch with an in lagoon & big smoothies on the outside.

I just got back from a week At Rio Vista. Very Happy

If you've never been to Kitopia, go!
You will not be disapointed!

jp

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostFri Jul 08, 05 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

I just scoped the E Gorge last week, was working in Kennewick Wa, and drove the WA side twice, didn't go down the OR side. Other than Roosevelt the only easy access launch is Crow Butte Park and a park in Plymouth Wa. There are numerous spots along the highway that looked like one could get a kite in the air, but they are better windsurfing spots(milepost 149). The wind generally lightens the further east you go (and I've been told it's not as gusty as the main Gorge areas), unless some serious Westerly is brewing, which are more of a spring/fall thing. Both days I drove Plymouth WA/Boardman OR areas were glass while Crow Butte was cappin and looked 16m-ish. I ended up at Roosevelt one day, and Rufus the next

Mike S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: