Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

La Ventana Cops on the way to the airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rjmonta

Since 01 Aug 2014
34 Posts

PostMon Feb 01, 16 8:24 am    La Ventana Cops on the way to the airport Reply with quote

I was driving to the airport on Sunday -probably 20 miles out of La Ventana when I saw a police car on the side of the road. Speed limit is posted as 60K and I admit i was traveling around 90kph - but the road is open and most of the cars along that stretch drive faster.
So being friendly I waive at the cop. And to some what to my surprise he pulls out with lights flashing. I pull over - he tells me that I speeding (or that was my assumption) he wants to see my drivers license so I gave it to him (later decided not the best option) he then tells me Spanish that I need to go to La Paz on Monday to pay a fine. (again what I think he was telling me). try to tell him I can't as I going to the airport - he tells me again to go to La Paz. Deciding that I need to start playing the game - I ask I can pay him the "fine". After some exchange of words neither of understood well it appeared that $80 USD was the fine as long as he didn't have to give me any paper work.
So first time I have heard of this scam on the road from LVT to the airport. Thought I would post so other might be on the look out - also noted that the guys badge said La Paz. Seems like a long way from La Paz.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 01, 16 9:57 am     Reply with quote

$80 for going 30k (18 mph) over the limit is cheap.
that would have cost you hundreds in the states.
you should be psyched that you got out of it and didn't miss your plane.
imagine a mexican being pulled over in Oregon, doesn't speak english but communicates - i gotta a plane to catch....
i'm guessing he would miss his plane.

rjmonta

Since 01 Aug 2014
34 Posts

PostMon Feb 01, 16 10:12 am     Reply with quote

You are correct about the speed limit. I own that. This part of the road is out in the middle of nothing except the cows that can wonder in the road. I haven't seen anyone driving that slow on the road in the half a dozen times I have driven it. So yes I was speeding.

My only point was to let others know who might be driving over the speed limit that there was on this day at least one cop out there who was more than willing to pocket the money than issue a citation who was very clear that he wouldn't be providing me any paperwork

Wonder

Since 28 Nov 2007
129 Posts
Hood River, Oregon
Stoked

PostMon Feb 01, 16 11:34 am     Reply with quote

EXACT same thing happened to us (Suburban / Oregon Plates) leaving L.V. Jan. 10 for the airport. EXACTLY!

I also waved at him (mistake #1).

I was asked if I had been drinking (I had not, at 10am on a Sunday - heading to airport).

I was told I was:

- speeding (was not)
- straddling the center line (I was - to avoid anything jumping out from a shoulderless road)
- passing another car while center line was solid (yes, that car was doing 25mph);
- not "decelerating" as I went through the sand "wash" that pushed out over the asphalt (I didn't feel the need, because I was only doing 40ish mph).

Same story - he got my driver's license, told I had to go to La Paz and pay 1200 pesos, Monday, to get my license back. "Yes, we can settle for US$75 - BUT, NO RECEIPT". Then, I knew we were being scammed.

Passed the hat, we had US$70 between all of us. Asked if this was fine. It was. Made sure I was getting my license back, as I was giving him the money.

If I had to do it again, I would say, "yep, see you in La Paz tomorrow"...and, deal with getting my license back when I returned stateside.

Robbed by a cop. WT_?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 01, 16 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like one corrupt cop....

I bet if someone notified the mayor of La Ventana they would know who to call and put a stop to this.

I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico and Central America back in the 90's....
I carry a small notepad and when I find myself being a victim of a shake down - I get the notepad out and ask for their name and badge number.
Without exception - the official returns my documents and tells me to go on and have a nice day. End of shake down.

Also - as previously suggested in many threads, carry a $20 bill in your shirt pocket.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 01, 16 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

I carry two DLs - both WA state - one is my expired old license - that's the one I'll give the cop. So if in a situation where the cop won't return my DL it's nbd. I'll agree to visit the station to pay the fine and be on my way.

Actually, I've never been stopped while driving in Baja since 2003 - but that's my plan if the occasion arises.

Lots of advice can be had over on the bajanomad forum - a very useful forum when traveling in Baja.

wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Feb 01, 16 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry to here this is still going on. Do not cave in and give the corrupt cops money. This will only support more and more of these incidents. Be patient and continue denying you did anything wrong. It will take some time to go through the "process".
Ask for him to guide you to the La Paz cop station. Say you will be happy to follow him there. Say you have no cash. You want him to take you to a cash machine. Do it over and over again. Be nice and use your best spanglish. Eventually he will realize you are not going to pay the fine right there on the side of the road and he will move on sadly to the next victim.
I had a very similar situation leaving La Paz this December. I was pulled over for speeding. No way was I speeding as I was being passed by every local heading out of town. He just figured the nice gringo van had to have a "mordida" in it. Not this van. It took awhile but after many requests to "lead me to the station" ,"could you keep your blue lights on so I can follow you", and "I have no cash", "You can take me to a cash machine after we go to the station" and on and on in my best spanglish. Maybe 20 minutes later he gave up and handed back my drivers license and said in perfect English. "Have a nice vacation in Los Barriles"
DO NOT GIVE IN. Have fun and make the best of this experience. You should end up with a good story to tell and money in your pocket and not the cops.

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 05, 16 11:15 pm     Reply with quote

Gringo tax, they get ya every time for sure. We keep as little in the car as possible if picking up friends and definitely only keep a small amount of pesos on person for "negotiations". $20 donation to the cops and you're out of there quickly.Wink

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Feb 06, 16 7:44 am     Reply with quote

yup, DWG driving while gringo
been around forever

make a couple of copies of your drivers license and laminate them
3 dollars, 3 minutes and let them take it and go

also, they will take your license plates off your car to try and get you to follow so get one way screws on the plates or just grind off the screw heads a bit

Bienvenidos a Mexico, different game, different rules
minor issues overall, still a great place to live,
most of the people are friendly and happy, don't let these few stories and cops deter you.

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostMon Feb 08, 16 11:00 am     Reply with quote

Which airport were you heading for, out of curiosity - Los Cabos or La Paz?

rjmonta

Since 01 Aug 2014
34 Posts

PostMon Feb 15, 16 7:54 am     Reply with quote

We were heading for Cabo.
Interesting enough - the friends we were staying with flew out of La Paz. They spent a little time in La Paz before their flight only to have almost the same thing happen to them when they "turn left on a red light".

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Feb 18, 16 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

Just got back...there were signs up saying that the local cops have hit an all time low and the only way to get it to stop is to not pay them. Instructions are to politely but firmly just keep asking for a ticket (in Spanish) which the cops have no interest in giving you. If they do take your DL you will get it back in La Paz. Usually they will run out of patience and leave. If they get to aggressive, write down their badge name and number or ask for it if they aren't wearing their badge. Taking their picture usually shoo's them away too.

There are so many 60km zones on long straight highways in the middle of nowhere. I tried to keep it at 80 as car after car passed me going 120+.

P.S. SJD has new rules that do not allow kite bars through security. Got to check them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: