Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rebel Quiver sizing advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigsteve

Since 06 Aug 2008
11 Posts

PostSun Jan 31, 16 11:43 am    Rebel Quiver sizing advice Reply with quote

I'm thinking of switching from my Bandits back to Rebels. I always liked the rebels. It's been a few years since I've flown them, but I've heard they are continuously improving.

I am trying to decide on sizing. I used to do 14-10 in 2008's. then I added 2011 8m and a 2012 11m. The 14-11-8 worked pretty good for around Seattle at my size, 190lbf. I'd say im 60/40 split on surfboard/twin tip.

I'm thinking about going to 2016's 14-10-7, or 14-11-8. I in my bandits I find I'm almost always on my 12-9, or 14 if its light, but never the 6. I tend not to go out if it's gusting over 40, and only make it to the gorge 1-2 times a year.

What do you guys think is the right call on quiver sizing?

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Jan 31, 16 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things and I wish I could give you some "you need to do this" advice. But you are on the right track.

Some one will probably tell you that you should do a light wind kite in place of your 14m. I personally do not do anything over 13.5 Kahoona's on the water, but that is me. Most people seem to go with a 15-17m light wind kite in place of their 14m kite once they approach the 200lb mark. This is more of an "outside of the Gorge" mentality. Inside the Gorge, that 14m may be the ticket for you. But since you only get to the Gorge 1-2 times a year, you may want to think outside the river.

On the small end, it is nice to have a 6-7m kite. I only got out on a 5.5 for the first time last year. My idea was to work down from a sane size, like an 11.5m to a 9.5m. When you get some great days and build your confidence in the 9.5m, then it is time to look around for a 7.5m. After a few good confident sessions on the 7.5, then you should think about having a 5.5 laying around just in case.

If you tend to forgo good judgement in favor of a "go for it" attitude, maybe having the smaller kites on hand at the beginning would be a better fit for your personality.

I find myself more on the reserved side and have given up many a high wind day because I knew I did not have the skill to be safe on any kite size.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jan 31, 16 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

the only thing I would add is if you go 14-10 you are going to be on the 14 more than if you go 14-11 and the 14 is a big, slower kite i would want to be off of as quickly as possible so
14-11 for me.
Think about which two kites you will be on the most, not which kite you want to be on the most. If the 14 is realisticaslly one of them you might want be able to size down as soon as possible

or you might prefer the better overall range but not me. Rather be on an 11 instead of a 14, if possible.

Wonder

Since 28 Nov 2007
129 Posts
Hood River, Oregon
Stoked

PostMon Feb 01, 16 11:21 am     Reply with quote

My vote: 14/11/8

I am #225, live in the gorge, and personally share 11/9/7/5 with my gal (never using her 5).

Occasionally, I have owned a 14 (when winter vacationing in Baja; or, a trip to The Caribe/Med).

You'll need nothing bigger than a 14 for Seattle (I grew up in Edmonds).

14 to 10 too big a jump I.M.H.O.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
833 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Feb 01, 16 3:01 pm    Rebel quiver Reply with quote

I weigh around 185, and used to have a 14M Rebel. I then flew a 13M Rebel, and found that it is just about the same power wise, but is much quicker. I have found that I really couldn't fly the 14 in any less wind than the 13, so why bother.

I used to have a 14/12/10/9/8/7/6/5 quiver, now I have 13/11/10/9/8/7/6/5.

I fly the 13 when I used to fly my 14, and my 11 when I used to fly my 12. Just a bit quicker, with almost the same power.

The small sizes, I know I have a lot of them, but when I make trips to Baja, sometimes it's 8M weather, and not 9M, or 7M, but not 6M, so I like to have a size of each. Also, if something happens to your 8 down there, and all you have is a 10 or a 6, you are going to be either over or underkited a good part of the day, more than likely, so I like to have a lot in case I break or lose a kite down there. Since I only get down there about 3-4 times a year, for 5-6 days, it's not worth blowing a trip by not having enough kites.

Wink

bigsteve

Since 06 Aug 2008
11 Posts

PostMon Feb 01, 16 5:41 pm     Reply with quote

Wow pete, you just about have the full lineup. I'm gasping for air looking at the prices of 3 or 4 kites!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
833 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Feb 01, 16 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

bigsteve wrote:
Wow pete, you just about have the full lineup. I'm gasping for air looking at the prices of 3 or 4 kites!

Well, I buy all my gear used, no need to take the depreciation hit of a brand new kite. I leave that to suckers that want the newest shit all the time!

The most I have paid for a kite is $650, and my 5 I got for $225.

bigsteve

Since 06 Aug 2008
11 Posts

PostMon Feb 01, 16 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

what do you think of the jump from 11-8 vs 7-10? Is it about the same, with just a slight shift in range?

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
833 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Feb 01, 16 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

Personally, I think that is too large of a spread. More than two kite sizes is too large of a gap in your quiver.

If you have to make that jump, I don't think there is much of a difference between those two choices.

If it were me though, I would go for the 10 - 7.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: