Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Camas Prairie or Skyline Utah?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jan 26, 16 10:39 am    Camas Prairie or Skyline Utah? Reply with quote

My buddy and I have 6 days to get in some snow kiting. Trying to decide between Idaho or Utah (11 hr drive to Idaho or 12 hr to Utah). Starting this Sat (Jan 30) where should we head for wind and decent snow? What forecasting sites do you use?

Thanks, J.R.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 26, 16 10:56 am    Re: Camas Prairie or Skyline Utah? Reply with quote

cosmodog wrote:
My buddy and I have 6 days to get in some snow kiting. Trying to decide between Idaho or Utah (11 hr drive to Idaho or 12 hr to Utah). Starting this Sat (Jan 30) where should we head for wind and decent snow? What forecasting sites do you use?

Thanks, J.R.

just go where ken lucas goes.
utah for the win

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-38221.html

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jan 26, 16 10:58 am     Reply with quote

I'd say both areas offer fun and convenient riding spots, it's going to come down to the forecast.

Skyline is more challenged for visibility, Camas may be more challenged for wind. I would just know to check the pin point NOAA forecasts, and maybe meso west sites.

Camas has a local yahoo forum...not sure if Utah has similar.

noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostTue Jan 26, 16 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

Based on the GFS model (http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/model/index.php?model=gfs) (700mb) I would say that Utah will be the better of the two choices. Definitely some wind and freshies by going that direction. Idaho looks weak until the end of the current model run.

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostWed Jan 27, 16 7:36 am     Reply with quote

wyoming and montana! Skyline is one spot! What happens when its not blowing or cloudy? Why drive so far for one spot? If you want success go somewhere with options. Lots of options. Do you wanna ride the same place every day of your trip? Why do people think of only camas or skyline?

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jan 29, 16 9:41 am    come to utah Reply with quote

Utah's totally going off. been here 3 weeks. base in Heber and get Strawbs(20 min) or Skyline(90min)or Chalk Creek ,or PC,or POW MOW or any goddam field with no fences. Miles of untracked with all aspects and not f**king bezillion below zero windchill.OH ever here of Utah powder? Your gonna drive no matter where you go, might as well ride the BEST terrain.You'd drive 90 min to get a good day out east right? Oh ya Skyline is just one place, just happens to be the best you'll ever kite when it's on! Just my opinion. V

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jan 29, 16 9:53 am     Reply with quote

Heading for Utah early tomorrow (Wy just too much driving). We can get to Ely NV with some day light left - anyone kite there? (theres a Wards Mt Rec at 7200ft just outside of town with supposedly a 30-40" base).

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jan 29, 16 10:23 am    Re: come to utah Reply with quote

Victor the Inflictor has spoken! Bam! - end of discussion.
Always an originator, never an imitator.

Inflictor wrote:
Utah's totally going off. been here 3 weeks. base in Heber and get Strawbs(20 min) or Skyline(90min)or Chalk Creek ,or PC,or POW MOW or any goddam field with no fences. Miles of untracked with all aspects and not f**king bezillion below zero windchill.OH ever here of Utah powder? Your gonna drive no matter where you go, might as well ride the BEST terrain.You'd drive 90 min to get a good day out east right? Oh ya Skyline is just one place, just happens to be the best you'll ever kite when it's on! Just my opinion. V

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri Jan 29, 16 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

Anyone else find it funny that the snow kite spots are almost competing for visitors, but in the gorge is more common to have secret spots and keep things on the down-low? Given the choice of attitudes I'll take the former Laughing

Kite on!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jan 29, 16 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

SPACE!

More space to cruise around and variety of terrain on snowkite spots is the key!

No mowing the lawn like on the water. No repeating the same tricks. Snowkiting is 3D and you can always add more kiters when you add another dimension.

Come to my spot and you will see what I have found and love. Seriously, my spots are much better than anywhere else.

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostSat Jan 30, 16 6:44 am     Reply with quote

Yall are funny! Im not competing for visitors just have the mentality of wanting people to have a good time. But i give up. Jackson sucks tell all your friends.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Jan 30, 16 9:01 am     Reply with quote

I am competing for visitors! Everyone should go to the Buffalo Ridge glacial escarpment of eastern South Dakota, south western Minnesota, and north central Iowa. That is, if we ever get some decent snow back there and I will even leave Utah for it. Not a world class place, but it is fun to share your spots and have someone to kite with while those newcomers get to explore new terrain.

Surfing has a toxic localism mentality because of overcrowding.

Kitesurfing has very little localism because of a greater amount of space.

Snowkiting has reverse localism. Nearly everyone wants to share our spots.

Thanks to all those pimping their spots that I hope to visit one day. I really cannot think of any greater sport that combines an excitement to share with others and the roller coaster ride of snowkiting on terrain.

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jan 31, 16 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

Rode Skyline today good wind and snow but really poor visibility. Any advice on where to go tomorrow (mon) with better visibility? Thx.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Jan 31, 16 5:53 pm     Reply with quote

Don't feel bad. I rode Strawberry today at the marina with about 1/2hr of sun peeking through with about 15mhp of wind out of the ENE. Then the clouds thickened up and visibility dropped to 1 mile but the wind came up. The snow had about 2 inches on top of easy to break through crusty stuff. It is as deep as the picnic tables and they did make for some interesting jibbing. I didn't try to get on top of a shelter, though. Never rode in a campground before but the wind was perfect for it. Then I tore off to the south and found some cornices that were perpendicular to the wind. At the end, I found a great wind lip facing into the wind for some wave riding. Just wish I would have had more contrast to spot the landings. Kited alone for the 2nd time in Utah out of 30+days.

By the forecast, Skyline looks like it will be socked in tomorrow (Monday). I may stay here in Heber City for the night and hit Strawberry River tomorrow. It could have some visibility issues there or here but it is always a toss up on a storm like this. Strawberry River had the best snow I have ever kited in last week. You left a trench and you would get high-centered just trying to crawl on your hands and knees through it. I am assuming that the crust down at the marina will be similar to what is up at Strawberry River now.

You guys staying up at the lot at Skyline or in a Motel? > pm me or call FOur oh too - 6eightsix - nin Sven wun for

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Feb 01, 16 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

Did someone mention Camas....

Saturday yo!

camas 1.jpg 
   camas 2.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Feb 01, 16 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

cosmodog wrote:
Rode Skyline today good wind and snow but really poor visibility. Any advice on where to go tomorrow (mon) with better visibility? Thx.

I had good luck at that lower spot when Skyline was fogged. Can't remember what you call it, but you can almost see it from Skyline right across the road and down. From Skyline if you are heading back towards town you take a right and after a mile or 2 you park right on the Hwy and rig/launch on the uphill side.

G, the locals were posting Saturday was the best day in recent years.

solkiter

Since 07 Jan 2008
251 Posts
ROGUE VALLEY
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 01, 16 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

CA MAS is looking amazing today sunny and blowing 15!!!!!!
TWISTED KITEBOARDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: