Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rooster Thefts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
LJ

Since 20 Nov 2013
131 Posts
PDX but HR Homegrown
Stoked

PostWed Jan 20, 16 7:27 pm    Rooster Thefts Reply with quote

Had a great day at Rooster on a 10m Monday afternoon until I stood on the waters edge with a rolled up kite and noticed someone had taken my Red 12m Ocean Rodeo Flite in my black and orange kite bag with my car keys(only set), gloves, and slingshot pump that was next to a tree, walked up to my car wondering if it was still there or ransacked, luckily things were ok.
I began asking around and was alerted to a shady guy that had left the area and came back down to the trail area saying he had lost his cell phone so questioned him and his comment to me "oh you mean the kite that was leaning against the tree" told me that he obviously knew and probably took it and hid it somewhere to come back later to get it, took pictures of the truck and the California license plates (thanks Ron). I spent hours that night and the next day walking for miles along the trails below unable to find any sign of my kite.

Car had to be towed.
Filed Police report.
New chipped keys and fobs being made.
Contacted Homeowners Insurance.
Notified Rooster Rock State Park office.
Watching the normal selling sites.
Contacting the local pawn shops and kite shops.
Went over the could'a should'a a million times.

Vehicle of question Silver 2001 Chevy Silverado with dented side and rear california plate 6g27273 early 40's white male salt and pepper hair 150'lbs 5'8 missing two lower front teeth, of course.

Thanks to those who helped out; Ron, Jeff, Mbevo, Stringy and Sherry (hope I spelled that correct) your van was so warm at the coldest time while waiting for my wife to show up.

Didn't even get this finished when I was informed that a wallet was stolen from Ron there tonight out of his van at the same far east parking lot.

Buncha BS, keep an eye on your goods,

Larry

2016011895155253.jpg 
   20160118_155300.jpg 
   20160118_155309.jpg 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jan 20, 16 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

that sucks Larry! - sorry man

your kite was still there when i left - was a guy in the area when i left but assumed he was just looking for someone to rape...

Zip showed up as i was leaving and did see that truck

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostWed Jan 20, 16 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

sucks! hey, not sure if they were yours and i didn't think much about it at the time. but there were a set of car keys laying on the grass right in front of my van there this afternoon. same spot east end of lot. i was parked in the second spot left of the handicapped spots facing the water. might be worth checking out or at least calling the ranger to go and grab them.

i was planning on grabbing them but forgot was in a hurry when i left.

i left before ron found out about his wallet. not cool. kinds puts a damper on a great january foil fest. sorry man.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jan 20, 16 8:03 pm    Bummer Reply with quote

Bummer dude and I'm sorry this happened. A few lessons to learn from it though.

With kiting things can get lost or stolen so best to have a extra key on the car somewhere. Same applies to thule/Yakima racks. That key can get lost or locked in the spacecase. It sucks, especially if your far away from your other set of keys and that can kill the session/sessions for that day.

It also doesn't hurt to memorize a few critical phone #'s. I'm guilty as charger on this one for sure.

I hope you get the f*cker who took your sh*t!

mbevo

Since 22 Apr 2015
39 Posts
Portland

PostWed Jan 20, 16 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

yea man I'm super sorry you didn't end up finding it...

when I got there the I don't recall seeing the bag so the guy must of taken it right after john left...I didn't see anyone coming up the normal trail.

hope they catch him and you get your stuff back

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Jan 20, 16 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

Unlikely as it may be... if they "DID" buy a parking ticket it would of most likely been with a card ((albeit stolen) sarcasm). If so, could help find the person responsible.

This is lame, sorry man.

www.freeridekiting.com

LJ

Since 20 Nov 2013
131 Posts
PDX but HR Homegrown
Stoked

PostWed Jan 20, 16 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks KSS,
I'll check it out in the morning.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 21, 16 8:01 am     Reply with quote

if there's wind today I'll hit rooster. maybe setup a sting and catch the f@ckers!
btw I stopped by rooster last night on the way home but gate was locked so couldn't get in.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 21, 16 9:10 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
if there's wind today I'll hit rooster. maybe setup a sting and catch the f@ckers!
btw I stopped by rooster last night on the way home but gate was locked so couldn't get in.

Just a little 40-60 right now!!Smile

LJ

Since 20 Nov 2013
131 Posts
PDX but HR Homegrown
Stoked

PostThu Jan 21, 16 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

Seems like my comments to this dirt bag about my keys in my Kite bag and not choking him after thinking he may have something to do with it brought out some guilt as he must have returned the next day and threw my keys on the grass near where I was parked, went there today and retrieved them with the key fob still in working order, still no sign of the kite.

Larry

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostThu Jan 21, 16 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

Larry, stoked those were your keys! The rest still sucks.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 21, 16 5:36 pm     Reply with quote

nice larry! cool you got keys but we need to get that kite back! if you got a picture of the stolen kite please post it so we can keep an eye out for it.

btw how did those gloves work out for you?

LJ

Since 20 Nov 2013
131 Posts
PDX but HR Homegrown
Stoked

PostThu Jan 21, 16 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

I Only have stock Pictures of the Flite,

The Neilpryde Gloves were great didn't need to take them off to fiddle with any bar or pigtail adjustments that was really nice 5m pre curved lobster style almost 2 hours of kiting without any fatigue although the kite only hit the water for a relaunch once and no 15-30 min swim like you guys seemed to encounter today, Rooster looked windy 5 m I guess but I was wrapped up in getting my car back from the locksmith.

Larry

http://thekitebuddy.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_50&products_id=360

http://www.kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp?prod=np_5mm_3finger_glove

jerschmitt

Since 29 Jan 2016
5 Posts
portland
Kook

PostWed Feb 03, 16 10:09 am    Thanks for the warning Reply with quote

Mad
Sorry to hear about this, but thank you for posting it, I will most definitely take measures.

Going today to check out the spot, and if I had not read this, I would also have left my bag with keys on the shore , as one tends to do.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Feb 03, 16 11:30 am     Reply with quote

In Mazatlan, I took my stuff hoping to go kiting over winter break. On the first day, someone took my pump (left on sand) while I was in the water for a total of 10 minutes. There were no other kiters around and when I borrowed a pump from some guy selling balloons my only kite (12m) had a leak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: