Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Self Landing The SST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostFri Jan 08, 16 8:49 pm    Self Landing The SST Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tips for self Launching / Landing the SST? That nose really sits off the ground a ways and I've had to tackle it a few times when I thought it was weighed down with snow, and it took off anyway.

The only thing that I've found that works quite well is attaching it to a long tether and launching from the side of the window. But I can't always set up a tether.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Jan 09, 16 4:35 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't yet got in the habit of setting up tethers, but I think it's the way to go. With the Rally's you can plop 'em down in 20+ knots on the hard sand and they lay right down. My struts like to stand straight up and catch the wind. I also think drag launching off the sand leads to micro scuffs.

With the right auger, can't you set up a tether just about anywhere?

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jan 10, 16 9:13 am    Orange Screw Reply with quote

http://www.orangescrew.com

large screw.png 

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jan 10, 16 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Just go to the pet store. I bought the large dog leash anchor and it has a swivel on top that makes it easy keeping things from binding up!!

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostMon Jan 11, 16 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks. I think you're right. Tethering seems to be the only way to go with this bad boy for self launch / land. That nose just sits too high to leave it sitting even for a minute. I like the orange spike. Will definitely order one of those.

mbevo

Since 22 Apr 2015
39 Posts
Portland

PostMon Jan 11, 16 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

if you want something more heavy duty try this thing

http://sandsharkanchor.com/sandshark-z/

screws into the sand like its butter and holds great...although pretty heavy

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jan 11, 16 9:34 pm     Reply with quote

Was thinking i would buy a quiver of SST's in Spring. Kind of bummed to hear this as I like to be independent on the beach and have never really liked a tether, especially in high wind. Would love input from any other SST owners. Is this really an issue?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Jan 12, 16 9:58 am     Reply with quote

daveS wrote:
Would love input from any other SST owners. Is this really an issue?

I have about a dozen beach self landing/launches with my 10M so far and no issues. It hasn't felt much different than my RPM's etc. The SST strut shape/LE is more Fuel like and it does sit up straight. In high wind (30+) I've never had too much success with any kite sitting down clean so I overrun the window and walk the front line aggressively. Sometimes it rolls back....but by that time I'm pretty much on top of the kite.

It would be really rare for somebody to score a 30+ condition snowkiting in the PNW. Minnesota frozen lakes....probably.....and then using an auger/screw makes sense if your snowpack is minimal but if shit gets a little sketchy during your landing just punch out and start pulling your "oh shit" handle as that typically makes any Slingy sit like a good dog.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostTue Jan 12, 16 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

Like you, I typically don't love the tether idea, but I'm quickly having to revise that bias and I'm finding that tethering is pretty reliable.

The other option that I've been toying around with is setting it at a slightly skewed angle so that the wind doesn't blow right under the nose.

If you have sand, this is a non issue, because you just weigh down the nose with sand. Snow isn't as heavy and slides around a lot, so it only works if you put a TON on there, and then it slides off anyway.

For self-landing, the tether is pretty legit. Tried it out Sunday. It takes some getting used to, but it works. Otherwise I've just been popping the safety.

lloyd

Since 16 Aug 2007
108 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostWed Jan 13, 16 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

Fill your kite bag with dry sand or rocks. Zip it closed. Gather both shoulder straps and clip them together with a carabiner. Attach your chicken loop to the carabiner. When you're done, dump out the sand or rocks, put the carabiner in one of the pockets and you're set.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 15, 16 8:18 am     Reply with quote

I've been self landing / launching my SSTs on the beach with no issues. So don't let this persuade you from purchasing...

...however, this is really good feedback for snow. This is the second time I've seen someone mention that it can be a challenge. I hope to be snowkiting on it in a few weeks so I appreciate this info.

Snow is slippery and kites move around a lot more then they do on sand. Not to mention it takes a lot more handfuls of snow to weight the kite down vs. sand. So, this tells me I'll probably still be okay self launching it in snow (just keep it semi-weighted and pull on an outside line like I normally do) but self landing could be a challenge.

I have to say the SS release to safety has always worked well when I need it, particularly if you let it go with the upper center line leashed. You have to then re-sort your bar before launching, but you'll never be stuck with a kite you can't land. Tether sounds like a good idea...making a sprint for your landed kite in deep powder isn't always an option. Shocked

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jan 15, 16 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

"...making a sprint for your landed kite in deep powder isn't always an option. "

you should always be in contact with a centerline anyway

just flag it out or drop it onto LE and climb the line (like you should do anyway even when it seems like its pretty secured and not going anywhere)

same with a tethered launch or land (tether land never necessary, just flag it out): the mistake is always that people walk between the kite and bar without staying in touch with a centerline and therefore are not prepared to disable/flag out the kite. keep a hand on the centerline so you can disable the kite if the tether comes loose or the outside line catches around the bar or the kite rolls over and hot launches etc. just hold that centerline and move a few big steps towards the bar and upwind to disable the kite when things start going badly. low centerline a better option for fast disable.

just a little refresher there. .... would be nice if deep powder WAS always an option .... happy shredding in 2016

www.ProKiteLessons.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: