Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

November’s Sunshine, Snow and Wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostSun Nov 22, 15 12:49 pm    November’s Sunshine, Snow and Wind Reply with quote

As the month of November begins its slide towards December, kiters from around Montana are waxing their skis and boards, laying out their lines and getting their first snowkite sessions of the winter. From Mount Haggin to Raynolds Pass, from Island Park to Togwotee, every snow covered and wind-filled kite spot has been seeing accumulating snow depth and kiters shredding that snow on an increasingly regular basis.

A couple nights ago I poured over every weather model, every point forecast, and every NOAA discussion to get an accurate view of where the next day’s wind would be best for kiting. After an hour of carefully dissecting all the information I could gather, I concluded that the region was going to have light wind everywhere. Further, the wind would be decreasing in strength as the day progressed. This was not a good prognosis for a day of snowkiting. My best call, to score a day of wind and snow, was to head up to high elevations and take advantage of being a few thousand feet closer to the jet stream. At least the forecasts and models supported that decision.

The following morning my friend Julian and I began our day trip up into the Gravelly Range hoping to reap the bounty of wind we so eagerly wanted. As we drove south, much to our amazement, every typically windy spot on our route was getting pummeled by a strong south wind! So much for accurate forecasting. Checking the remote sensors, sure enough, Raynolds Pass and Island Park were firing. Change of plans – forget about getting high up in the Gravellys - let’s go hit Raynolds!

Raynolds Pass may not offer the most technical terrain, it does not have the steep gliding hills of some kite spots, and being next to a state highway it is certainly not wild backcountry. But it does have soft powder, clean reliable wind and plenty of space for a rewarding session. For Julian’s first day of the winter season, our park-n-ride kiting could not have been better: Fifteen degrees, 11m kites, fresh snow and lots of sunshine.

As the day progressed and the sun cast long shadows across the heavily tracked out meadows, we both thought that the wind would back off and get soft on us. Wrong again. Our second session was even more lit up, our boosts were higher, our ascents faster and our whoops and shouts even louder! At sunset we were joined by Brent, a fellow kiter who entertained us as we finished up our session with the last light of the day.

Sometimes every bit of scientific data will not reveal the reality that comes from stepping out one’s door and feeling the wind in your face. I’ll still keep checking the models and reading the forecast discussion. I will also have faith in the local knowledge that certain places get a lot more wind than any computer model will ever know.

Thanks for reading and see you out there,

Noah Poritz
Bozeman, Montana

Boost 1.jpg 
   Powder 5.jpg 
   Boost 2.jpg 
   Powder 4.jpg 
   Boost 6.jpg 
   Powder 2.jpg 
   Julian 2.jpg 
   Julian Boost 3.jpg 
   Julian 23.jpg 

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostSun Nov 22, 15 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

Great photos! Very inspiring...Must. Get. Out. There!

I have yet to try snow kiting, hopefully this will be the year. Riding lifts at the resorts is getting a bit repetitive.

Thanks for sharing!

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Nov 23, 15 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Noah - I have checked out Raynolds pass on google maps after seeing a couple of your posts. It looks like a cool park and ride spot. Where do you normally park to set up?

noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostMon Nov 23, 15 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

Blaze... Early season, before the Idaho DOT plow crews get busy, I park right at the top, Raynolds Pass proper (the ID/MT state line). Once the plows get busy, a sign will be placed that states all vehicles will be towed! The reason for that is the plows need both sides of the road to turn around. The Fremont County Sheriff does enforce this closure.

Once that sign goes up, kiters park at a large pull out on the Idaho side by a gravel pit, 1.5 miles into Idaho. As winter snowpack gets deep, this pit is a great terrain park in it's own right. We kite from there and hit both sides of the highway.

Windy Regards,
Noah

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Nov 23, 15 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info Noah. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to kook anything up by parking in the wrong spot and give the local kiters a bad rap. We have a place to stay in West Yellowstone and it looked like Raynolds is not too far from there. Great pics - thanks for sharing! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: