Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

A buyer tried to screw me! Watch out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 19, 15 9:14 am    A buyer tried to screw me! Watch out Reply with quote

To all sellers on here. Do not do a transaction from mark benesis. He has tried to buy my rally posted and is a liar that is trying to commit fraud. He sent me a check which was not on time for 2450 dollars. Kite was sold for 850. You would think I would be like hell ya. I still have the kite so no worries on that but if I would have deposited the check and tried to take the Ammount I would be part of a scheme etc. Either way Mark Benesi is a POS. He contacted me through ikitesurf and if anyone frequents their forums you might want to post this there.
The post office and sheriff says this is classic fraud and this had been turned over to the washington attorney general along with California's as the check was drawn on a California account. Another shitty part is that a rep I know for an unnamed kite and board company said he knew this guy and said he is legit. Well now we know that you really don't know people as well as you do.

Don't get taken and cya!!

I should add this is the second time I have had to deal with dishonest buyers. Moral of the story try to deal with people in person and never take a check.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Nov 19, 15 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Wow, that's lame, it sounds like the moral is not to do transactions by check, I didn't think that was even an option any more. For the record I've done lots of mail transactions on here and other kite forums without any issues.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Nov 19, 15 11:29 am     Reply with quote

He wants to pay by check, a total red flag request, so you pull a background check from a bro and it still goes sideways. Weak.

Perhaps it's a sign that perfect Gorge sized 9M should stay local. Smile

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 19, 15 12:09 pm    examples to the spam / scam Reply with quote

For some reason, ikitesurf.com seems to attract the scammers, it's been that way for years. I wish ikitesurf.com would provide a simple way to report them and get their accounts closed.

My strategy is to reply with a question (like which kite did you want), at least it makes them waste time since they are wasting my time.

Here are some of my recent emails from the scammers:

Good day, I am very interested in buying your Item, please return to me with your last offer price. Ulrike Heisig

Am very happy is still available, am okay with the price,i will sent you a Bank Certified Check {BCC} with an extra amount for pick up,if you are interested please get back to me with this details below in order to issue the check:
Your Name:
Street:
City:
Zip code:
State:
Mobile number:
Immediately i receive your information above,i ensure that you will receive the payment in a couple of days time,quicker response to this will be favorably appreciated.

Waiting your urgent Respond
Marc

am very happy is still available and am ok with the price,i will sent you a Cashier's cheque with an extra amount for pick up, if you are interested please get back to me with this details below in order to issue the cheque:
Your Name:
Street:
City:
Zip code:
State:
Mobile number:
Price:
Immediately i receive your information above,i ensure that you will receive the payment in a couple of days time,quicker response to this will be favorably appreciated.
Sebastian

Thanks for the quick response about the product am buying from you, anyway the price [$250] is OK by me but i will like you to know that payment will be made by Check If this mode of payment is OK by you. Kindly send your information which you will like to receive the payment from the post man, so that i can instruct my secretary to issued it immediately.I will forwarded your information to the secretary. And she confirm to me that payment will be sent to you as soon as possible. Anyway, I will assume the product has been sold to me. Also i will appreciate it if you can get the advert off the website and don't get contacted by another buyer. Anyway, payment will be sent to your Address soon. Note: The secretary will issue an excess money on the payment which would cover both the payment and shipment alongside with some goods i bought down from other locations. All you need to do, Once you cash the payment, you are to deduct your payment, afterward send the remaining funds to my shipping agent who will be coming down to your location for the pick up....the rest of my funds is meant for the shipment of all my consignment including yours I will send the shipping agent details when the payment delivers. I will entertain any comment or suggestion. And if not okay by you kindly get back to me so as to stop the secretary to stop the payment.

Name to be on Check :.....
Address where Check will be received by you:.......
Phone Number's such as Mobile,Land line....

Never mind about the pick up, it will be after you must have cleared the payment from your Bank Account. Await your Quick Response so that i can arrange for the payment immediately.

Thanks and Get back........

N.B....And the Check will have to be cleared before the pick up of the item..

I'm on business trip and i can't come to pick-up at the moment. so pls keep it for me, i don't mind adding an extra ($30) I'll instruct my assistant to send out ur payment and deliver to u within 2-3 working days. I'll pay via Money Order so send me ur Name and Address. I'll l arrange for pick-up.
Thanks

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Nov 19, 15 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

A check?

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/08/06/despite-warnings-lawyers-still-fall-for-collection-scam/

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
483 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 19, 15 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

Watch out for them guy no use good engrish.

Hankdog

Since 17 Jun 2013
14 Posts

PostSat Nov 21, 15 8:25 pm    Tim Wilkinson I Kitesurf Scammer Reply with quote

Same deal :

Hello,
Am very happy is still available, am okay with the price,i will sent you a Bank Certified Check {BCC} with an extra amount for pick up,if you are interested please get back to me with this details below in order to issue the check:
Your Name:
Street:
City:
Zip code:
State:
Mobile number:

Waiting your urgent Respond

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Nov 22, 15 8:11 am     Reply with quote

just say I have no checking account

that will do it
Laughing

bob

Since 09 Mar 2007
137 Posts
Madison, Wi
Stoked

PostSun Nov 22, 15 10:01 am     Reply with quote

I ran into him also and smelled a rat right away.

Here are things you can do to prevent.

1) If they do everything online, ask to talk in person.
2) Ask them to send a picture of a photo ID and if using CC put the CC in with the same picture. Many are using false names. Everyone has a device to send pics easily.
3) Do NOT accept cashiers checks, money orders etc.
4) When they ask for your best price, put something way over inflated to see if they bite. If they do, you know it's a scam.
5) They almost always will arrange for the product to be picked up. Require an address for shipping.

These guys suck.

I had 4 people recently on i-kitesurf that I had to deal with. Waste of my time.

Hope this helps.

Bob

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
110 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostSun Nov 22, 15 2:18 pm    For anyone else selling, use Square's Cash.Me Reply with quote

Don't accept checks and if you need to get payment quick you can use Square's product called Cash Me. It's free for non-business transactions and is really easy. I've used Paypal too but the Square product is way easier.

https://cash.me

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 22, 15 5:10 pm    Same here Reply with quote

I have sold kites on ikitesurf. I did get this letter from the same guy, same exact story, different name. It was obvious to me that it sounded fishy so I told him only paypal. I would never consider giving someone my info and letting them send me a check. When he persisted I reported him to ikitesurf.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostSun Nov 22, 15 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

I have seen this scam on eBay and cars.com. Common scam and if you add specific instructions only accept paypal or bank transfer, should keep the parasites away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: