Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

COZUMEL!!!
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Feb 03, 07 10:46 am    COZUMEL!!! Reply with quote

Hey all! We're on our way to Cozumel! Just a few days in Minneapolis first... it's 9 below zero hero in MSP!

I checked a golf bag at 50 pounds and a Glide bag (Dakine Slider 155) with some extra stuff in it. No charges for either. (Northwest Airlines)

We'll try not to use up all of the wind before everyone else gets here. The wind forecast is looking a little light for the first few days. (I'm glad I lugged the Glide along.) We have an all day trip booked with Adrian; Joanne is taking lessons. With any luck she'll get up on the board for the first time. Very Happy

We're at:

Casa Blanca #6, Country Club Estates

so hit us up when you guys get in!

Nak

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Feb 03, 07 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Have a great trip Mr. Green

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Feb 03, 07 11:33 am     Reply with quote

Have fun! C-ya on Thursday. Very Happy

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostSat Feb 03, 07 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

Adrian is a great instructor I am sure he'll get her riding the board by the end of the day. Last year I took a lesson with him and I was up riding by the end of the day.

Nak - there a big grocery store is at the south end of town, if you need supplies. Took me a while to find that last time.

See ya on Thursday Very Happy

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun Feb 04, 07 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Looks like a great trip. Anyone know what the wind is like in April. I can't find average wind conditions on the kite-cosumel web site. I was thinking Maui, or SPI - any suggestions for best conditions in April? - C

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Feb 04, 07 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

Phillip And Bettyboarder,

See you guys there! We'll have some beers waiting for you guys. I've shopped at that south market before... If you didn't try the cantaloupe and honeydew last year, make sure you get some this year. 10 times better than any you'll ever get in the NW. Very Happy

Boardrider,

Maui: Almost always good!
SPI: I've got no clue, but I've heard it's good in the Spring...
Cozumel: Not really sure. Email Adrian and ask him for the best info.

I'm sure you'll have great fun at any of those locations!

Nak

Yogaman

Since 04 Feb 2007
55 Posts

PostSun Feb 04, 07 8:52 pm    Headed to Cozumel Feb 25th to March 4th Reply with quote

Headed to Cozumel Feb 25th to March 4th. Staying at Casa Viento. Anybody have an idea of wind intensity to expect or not expect?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Feb 04, 07 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:
Looks like a great trip. Anyone know what the wind is like in April. I can't find average wind conditions on the kite-cosumel web site. I was thinking Maui, or SPI - any suggestions for best conditions in April? - C

Expect it all in coz - light wind, strong wind. Average kite is usually 11-13m though. The wind is mostly frontal driven, so it changes with the passing fronts.

For April I don't know what Coz is like... I know SPI is very good in April and if I can manage I'd like to take a trip there this year. I usually go there in the fall and have only marginal luck, but April its supposed to be good everyday.

I'd say Cozumel / Maui for full experience and good times for non-kiters, SPI for a bargin trip and riding conditions (in April that is.) This time of year (Dec-Feb) Cozumel is generally warmer and nicer than SPI.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 05, 07 1:06 pm    SPI is great Reply with quote

SPI is a great place. Can't wait to go back. Cool

Flat and shallows on the west and ocean riding on the east.

Best winds are SE and NW, with SE being favored. East and NE kinda sucked. Used all my kites 9, 13 fuels and 17.5 machine. Was blown off the water one day.

Taxi on the island is 4 dlrs for first 2 and 2dlr each extra person. There is also a free bus.

We did downwinders and had the taxi bring us back up.

Flew into Harlingen, no baggage charge leaving PDX, but had to sweat talk on the way home.

Rental agency Evil or Very Mad charged extra for the sand and it seemed like this was a common charge.

Depending on the season, you can negotiate with the hotels, we got the Super 8 down to 25/night for 2 queen beds.

ENJOY

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Feb 05, 07 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

boredbrain -
the trick with the rental cars is to hit the car wash on your way out of town. Make sure you vaacum out as much of the sand as you can and that the outside looks clean.

we have done some terrible, terrible things to rental cars over the years but as long as it looks clean from the outside, and you get most the sand out they dont care.

you haven't lived till you've taken a brand new rental to the flats, sped up to 60, cranked hard on the e-brake, and swung the wheel around for full-speed power slide. especially fun when you mix in huge puddles of salt water. Evil or Very Mad

wait till you guys see the hatteras video. Twisted Evil

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 05, 07 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
...wait till you guys see the hatteras video. Twisted Evil

Been waiting for how long now??? Hope I'm still alive by then... Wink

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Feb 05, 07 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

Onad Rednaxela wrote:
pkh wrote:
...wait till you guys see the hatteras video. Twisted Evil

Been waiting for how long now??? Hope I'm still alive by then... Wink

Hey the Sistine Chapel took awhile too ya know. Wink

Actually lately I have made a lot of progress. Its just hard because we started with so much footage, and getting it down into a tight little package without missing anything is tough.

gotta get it done though because cozumel footage is coming next!

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon Feb 05, 07 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

Hatteras Video? You mean last years? "Fo'-get 'bout it...."

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 05, 07 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Thx for the input - I hope everyone has a great time - and gets some good footage - I'm going to need it to get through to April - C

JK - You shooting professionally on your trip?

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon Feb 05, 07 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah-- I'm shooting for the gang. Hope to make another good piece.
--I'm taking 30lbs worth of just photo/video gear-- Kinda heavy.
I've got a video/a digital still / and a Nikon F5. We should be covered.
I don't think there's much in the way of internet access -- but I will certainly have something to share when I come back!

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 05, 07 6:31 pm     Reply with quote

Nice - hope you get some good ridin in - can't wait to see the footage - C

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 07, 07 6:15 am     Reply with quote

Hey everybody!

Just a quick note from Cozumel. The wind gods have not been happy with me apparently. Sad Not ridable at all. Yesterday started out rainy and stormy, but the weather did improve. We had a great day, just no riding. Today we’re headed for the ruins at Coba.

Right now Sunday is a maybe. That’s the best forecast we have. Sad Sorry to be a downer, but I wanted to warn everybody to bring lightwind boards in case it picks up at all. Fortunately, there’s lots to do here.

On a side note, Adrian has been incredibly helpful! What a great guy. He even met us at the airport in Cancun and helped us out carrying all of our gear to Cozumel!!! I can’t say enough good things about Adrian.

Nak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: