Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Go Pro Selfie Stick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 12, 15 8:34 am    Go Pro Selfie Stick Reply with quote

So when people use these for video, what do they do with them while they are kiting the rest of the time? Stick them in their harness? Or just head back into shore and leave them there?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 12, 15 8:51 am     Reply with quote

Try mouth mounts instead - gives you good POV plus ability to take in your hand and film yourself or others around you. And when you want your hands free and your jaw gets tired of holding the camera just throw it on your back and let it dangle on the leash. F.e: http://www.mygomount.com/

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 12, 15 10:15 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Try mouth mounts instead - gives you good POV plus ability to take in your hand and film yourself or others around you. And when you want your hands free and your jaw gets tired of holding the camera just throw it on your back and let it dangle on the leash. F.e: http://www.mygomount.com/

Looks like a plan, but when you say, throw it on your back, what do you mean?

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Nov 12, 15 10:18 am     Reply with quote

in the fall, i jammed the camera with the small handle attached down the front of my wetsuit. worked fine.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 12, 15 11:01 am     Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:

I have the camera on a neck leash when I use it. Once my jaw needs a rest from holding the mount I just sling it back so it's dangling by the leash on my back (if that makes sense).

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 12, 15 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
skideeppow wrote:

I have the camera on a neck leash when I use it. Once my jaw needs a rest from holding the mount I just sling it back so it's dangling by the leash on my back (if that makes sense).

Yeah it makes sense now, i saw it has a neck lanyard. thanks ordered one.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Nov 12, 15 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

Stick: hold it with two hands at the same time as your bar (parallel and against the bar) until you can bring it back to shore

Mouth Mount: my harness has small pocket with small bungee for keys. I use that bungee to put the GoPro through and keep by my waist. The lanyard is long enough to go from the arm to the waist without too much tension so it's not unconfortable.

bdennis

Since 01 Jun 2007
50 Posts

PostThu Nov 12, 15 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

I tie a little leash to the mouth mount and tie that to the cord on my wetsuit zipper. When not in use, I jam the camera between my wetsuit and my back. When in hot weather without a wetsuit, I don't leash it at all and w
hen tired, I put it in my shorts pocket. I have to say though, the video kind of sucks because it's so shaky. I'm thinking of adding a pivot with a counterweight to provide some isolation and increase inertia for smoother video.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 12, 15 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

bdennis wrote:
I tie a little leash to the mouth mount and tie that to the cord on my wetsuit zipper. When not in use, I jam the camera between my wetsuit and my back. When in hot weather without a wetsuit, I don't leash it at all and w
hen tired, I put it in my shorts pocket. I have to say though, the video kind of sucks because it's so shaky. I'm thinking of adding a pivot with a counterweight to provide some isolation and increase inertia for smoother video.

Any type of head/mouth mount is still more stable than a stick though since your neck provides a natural stabilization for your head - one way to work around it is to shoot the video in higher resolution and then stabilize in post processing.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Nov 12, 15 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Besides not wanting something so cumbersome to make my jaw feel like a Tijuana donkey show entrant or impede my breathing while spitting and drooling out my best Darth Vader impression...........what happens when you catch an edge and yard sale forward and it pops out inside your bar while the lanyard, which is brilliantly wrapped around your neck, is entangled in your depower throw while you're choking because your mouth hit the water sporting your best full on "O Face"???

Looks potentially dangerous no matter how it's attached and painfully gay. To each his own.

Tastes like chicken.jpg 

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 12, 15 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

next comes kiters kiting with bite balls in their mouth. At least the ball will stand out when you face plant and it is floating on the water!!!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 12, 15 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Besides not wanting something so cumbersome to make my jaw feel like a Tijuana donkey show entrant or impede my breathing while spitting and drooling out my best Darth Vader impression...........what happens when you catch an edge and yard sale forward and it pops out inside your bar while the lanyard, which is brilliantly wrapped around your neck, is entangled in your depower throw while you're choking because your mouth hit the water sporting your best full on "O Face"???

Looks potentially dangerous no matter how it's attached and painfully gay. To each his own.

You just gotta find a better pic. I think the mouth mount looks pretty hot:

2015-New-Mouth-Mount-Surfing-Diving-Selfie.jpg 

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 12, 15 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

The lanyard is a two piece thing and it's pretty easy to detach it in case something goes wrong, plus I'm pretty sure it will actually snap before there is enough force applied that could choke a person.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Nov 12, 15 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
You just gotta find a better pic. I think the mouth mount looks pretty hot:

Touche! Much better pic! Google shows only surfers using it and for their short rides and nothing to tangle that makes more sense to me.

For kiting it sure seems like a dentists wet dream come true.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 13, 15 7:14 am    Re: Go Pro Selfie Stick Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
So when people use these for video, what do they do with them while they are kiting the rest of the time? Stick them in their harness? Or just head back into shore and leave them there?

I've used a gopro on a pole in the past and have tried both with a leash and without. this past summer at jones I was using a short pole that I tucked in my harness when not using it, it apparently worked loose when I was foiling and had fallen off. I was foiling so was able to do upwind reaches and could look down into the water after about 15 minutes I could spot it. in hindsight I should have used the leash or even the bright orange floaty. In the past I've used an old wrist leash as a holster. just loop it around your webbing and stick the pole in it when not in use, it already comes with a leash attachment. poles can be fun when you're riding with friends and want to trade with them to film back and forth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: