Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkiting the N. Rockies: First Sessions Winter 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostTue Nov 10, 15 9:51 am    Snowkiting the N. Rockies: First Sessions Winter 2016 Reply with quote

In the northern Rockies, snowkite season usually gets underway with the first snow storms in late October and early November. Like clockwork last week, our snowkite season began with a foot of snow accumulating at the favored places above Bozeman, Montana, Jackson, Wyoming, and the region’s passes along the Continental Divide. Some spots were pushing two feet at the higher elevations.

A handful of dedicated kiters took advantage of this first blanket of white to chase the wind. These kiters know that these first sessions are just the beginning of a long winter. With another storm trained on the Rockies, the conditions will keep getting better and last week’s powder will be our winter base for months to come.

I got out for a couple sessions last weekend and took a few photos with the GoPro. Here are a few shots from the park-n-ride spot along Hwy 87 at Raynolds Pass, Montana/Idaho border.

I know many kiters are looking forward to a rewarding winter of fresh pow and strong winds. If our opening week is any indication, we have a great winter ahead!

See ya out there,

Noah

Laying Tracks.jpg 
   Asking for a Face Shot.jpg 
   Back Roll 1.jpg 
   Tail Grab.jpg 
   Back Roll 2.jpg 

Last edited by noah on Tue Nov 10, 15 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Nov 10, 15 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Sweet! Thanks for sharing the stoke!

I love the last picture with the tail grab, but I've got a hankering for some red meat...

Next time make it a Roast Beef grab!

Wanna-Go

Since 14 Sep 2009
95 Posts
Central, Wa

PostWed Nov 11, 15 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Where is the Like Button? Good Stuff Noah! Great to see the snow there already. I'm about 3 1/2 hours away from there in Central WA and hoping for some snow as its getting a lil chilly for the Waters of Potholes and we have no snow here yet but hoping for a good year. I definitely want to come out that way and ride.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Nov 11, 15 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

Noticing the Camas already has about as much coverage as it got all last winter...

Hopefully a good sign!

02E000E2_0696E273_cam1.jpg 

noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostFri Nov 20, 15 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Here's a few more pics from my second week of slicing Raynolds Pass... still very much early season but it was rock solid 11m kiting. The next storm is laying it down as I speak...

Windy regards,
Noah

Boost 2 small.jpg 
   Boost 2 small.jpg 
   Powder 1 small.jpg 

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Nov 20, 15 11:33 am     Reply with quote

The good stuff - getting sweeter and sweeter. Thanks Noah.

www.freeridekiting.com

anders

Since 01 May 2012
107 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Nov 21, 15 8:21 am     Reply with quote

nice pics. I'm looking forward to snowkiting some this season. Its pretty wooded around here but I'm determined. Maybe I'll make a trip out your way!

noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostSat Nov 21, 15 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

Make the drive Anders. Ignore the Camas (unless it's deep and going off) and head to the Rockies. We have lots of great spots. If you focus, plan well, make contacts (1 good one) you will score.

Windy Regards,
Noah

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostMon Nov 23, 15 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

Damn, I need to move. Here's our first week:

The pass was 10-20 gusting 45+ in white out conditions. So we drove back down the hill a ways to 0-10 gusting up around 35. Gnarly traffic with tons of accidents on the way home, ended up in the car for about 9-10 hours, all told. Only "riding" I did was being dragged a few feet when my kite spiraled around in a snownado for a bit. Smile

Hoping Friday will be better. We are scouting a new location down by wolf creek. Your Montana snow looks epic. I'm glad you're having a killer early season! We got lucky early season last year and had about 11 weeks in a row of great sessions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: