Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Light wind twin-tips
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Nov 10, 15 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

I've ridden on one of those Litewave 165cm door boards and they do indeed work well in light wind as session savers and can be kinda fun in those conditions (this was at SPI and the water was incredibly flat with steady 12-15 mph wind, 14m kite, 200lb me).

However, if the Mako 150cm isn't cutting it I don't think an even bigger TT board will bring much to the table. At that point I think a skim or a surfboard is in order. I know you are looking for a TT for travel reasons, though, so the best compromise is probably to make a split-skim board. It would not be that difficult as long as the aesthetics are not a top priority. It sounds like this board would only come out if the Mako won't work, so it is probably silly to dish out big $$ for a board you will ride 3 times a year (unless you prefer it over the Mako and other boards, of course). Also if you are kiting in marginal wind conditions there is always that chance that the wind drops, you can't keep the kite in the air, and you can't drag back to your board in the odd chance that you get knocked off of it in light wind. You probably wouldn't care if you lost a couple pieces of plywood.

As stringy and sasquatch have said, you probably are better off putting those dollars into a bigger kite or a foil board instead of a TT that is marginally better than your 150cm Mako.

Maybe make a custom split Skim that you can slap a foil on to Wink.

As a side note, what is your biggest kite?

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 10, 15 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

Windance has some used Glides both 149 & 159cm for $400

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Nov 11, 15 9:08 am     Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
However, if the Mako 150cm isn't cutting it I don't think an even bigger TT board will bring much to the table.

Agree. A bigger twin won't make that much of a difference over the mako so it's surfboard and new bag time.

He already has a 15M Flight and @ 170 lbs if he can't make the Mako work with the 15M he's best off to go do something else or perhaps play with a 3m line extension for a bit of a longer throw etc.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 11, 15 11:48 am     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Dern wrote:
However, if the Mako 150cm isn't cutting it I don't think an even bigger TT board will bring much to the table.

Agree. A bigger twin won't make that much of a difference over the mako so it's surfboard and new bag time.

He already has a 15M Flight and @ 170 lbs if he can't make the Mako work with the 15M he's best off to go do something else or perhaps play with a 3m line extension for a bit of a longer throw etc.

My two primary boards are the Mako 150 and the old 149 Glide. There is a huge difference between the two in lightwind capability. Plus, the Glide works really well without fins while the mako does not. That gives the glide even more capability in light wind, and gives you extreme shallow water capability, almost like a skim. Smile

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Nov 11, 15 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Sella wrote:
Dern wrote:

My two primary boards are the Mako 150 and the old 149 Glide. There is a huge difference between the two in lightwind capability. Plus, the Glide works really well without fins while the mako does not. That gives the glide even more capability in light wind, and gives you extreme shallow water capability, almost like a skim. Smile

Yes but does she pump? Smile You can pump a mako to stay on top of the water so I'll tell you what Nak....you bring your glide and your 17 turbine and i'll bring my mako and 14 Rally and we'll see who gets out in a mouse fart of wind. I think I even have 10 pounds on you. If you can't make any board work with a 15M it's best to get a cold one and just enjoy the view. Smile

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 11, 15 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds fun, you're on! 😃 BTW, I like Kraken rum...

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Nov 11, 15 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Sounds fun, you're on! 😃 BTW, I like Kraken rum...

Ha ha! I KNOW you do! Smile We shall partake before we ride!

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Nov 11, 15 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:

My two primary boards are the Mako 150 and the old 149 Glide. There is a huge difference between the two in lightwind capability.

Well in this case I will defer to your field-tested experience! But still, we're talking 1-2 mph wind thresholds here. I realize that is the difference between riding and not riding, but I still feel like a skim or alaia style board would be a good filler here because they would travel easily. As a bonus, no straps necessary so you can fit more boards in your bag Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: