Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Sailing Around The World

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 08, 15 8:01 pm    OT: Sailing Around The World Reply with quote

I want to leave normal life and sail around the world. Problem is, I have no boat. Can someone here point me to a forum where I can get on as a crew member on someone else's boat?

DownWindRun

Since 15 Mar 2010
45 Posts
Vancouver

PostSun Nov 08, 15 8:46 pm    Just Go! Reply with quote

http://www.latitude38.com/crewlist/cruising/skipper_results.lasso

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f30/

Wife and I spent 5 years cruising the east coast and Caribbean on a 44 foot sailboat. Recession hit and we came back to work. Saving every penny and will be back out there soon. I highly recommend cutting out and going sailing.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Nov 09, 15 4:58 am    GO FOR IT Reply with quote

Living and working in the Aleutian Islands for years as a Firefighter / Paramaedic and underwater filmographer for "reality" TV I have met a great number of people sailing around the the world. Their stories are amazing, their reasons varied but the look on their faces coming in to and out of port are all the same - weathered and worn freedom and deeply rooted satisfaction expressed in smiles and stern eyes that are always looking forward.

If you are able to make it happen, go for it.

www.freeridekiting.com

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 09, 15 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the very good info. Are there opportunities to work at each port along the way, or do you have to go with a savings account?

I've read that 14k a year in expenses is to be expected.

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostMon Nov 09, 15 9:35 am    cruising Reply with quote

Zihuatineho sp.
It is a jumping off point for pacific bound yachts, you could go there during the beginning of cruising season and hop a ride. I believe fall is the time to go.
Money, having it is good. Sometimes you can pick up work along the way and sometimes not. Some skippers want you to pay to ride, others are happy to have extra crew.
The Baja ha ha is a flotilla every fall organized by lat 38. Usually they have parties @ san francisco for crew choosing purposes.
Good crew and good skippers are in high demand.
Good luck

ohanakai

Since 30 May 2010
16 Posts

PostMon Nov 09, 15 4:19 pm    Getting on a boat Reply with quote

Check out Latitude 38 as discussed above... My Wife and I and 2 boys spent 4 years circumnavigating. We are home now only to get the boys settled in College and then we will be out again.. There are crew listing pages online and lat 38 can hook you up with the Baja ha group... They end in cabo or La paz so its a short trip but you might meet someone going further...Zihuatanejo is a jumping off spot but probably more leave from PV and Cabo area.. Departure from Mex happens in early spring Aprilish to cross the South Pacific. We had a number of fellow cruisers that picked up crew for various durations on their circums and I would say more than half were disasters...by that I mean it is very difficult to bring someone you dont know into that type of situation and have it mesh for both the boat owner and crew... Pick very wisely and make sure the captain and boat are up for the task... you would be surprised at the crap people will go to sea in... check out our website from our trip at Ohanakai.com

Cheers

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Nov 10, 15 8:00 am     Reply with quote

There are also many sailing opportunities on https://www.sailopo.com
Working on the same idea - just a couple of years more.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 12, 15 9:50 am     Reply with quote

This is a great resource: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f30/

Or in 12 years or so (hopefully), you can sign-on with us.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 15, 15 7:28 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks all, this is very good stuff! Smile

EasyDuzzit

Since 29 Jul 2013
22 Posts
Florence

PostMon Nov 16, 15 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Bruce- We were sailing in Mex the same time as you. We are the Jarmans on Chaitanya, a Tayana 37 ketch. My wife Heidi says we hung out a couple times. We had a baby- Gabriella, and our son Jonah who was 3.5 then. Great memories!

OP- yes! Go sailing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: