Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

T-Rex/Tomo Shapes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostWed Nov 04, 15 8:34 am    T-Rex/Tomo Shapes Reply with quote

Now that they've been around a while I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on advantages/disadvantages of this shape? Not looking for any particular brand vs brand, just general impressions on this shape vs more traditional shaped boards? Some of what I've read indicates you can ride this shape shorter....how much? If I ride a 5'6" trad. shape & love it - what size am I looking for in this design?

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 04, 15 12:24 pm    my 2 cents Reply with quote

I have a 5.2 Tomo Vanguard and then picked up a 5.4 TRex (on mega sale, as a back up board). I got them because 1) I can't surf around here, so plan on traveling with them alot, 2) they're lighter and strapless airs are the best and 3) there was alot of buzz around the Tomo (Real sports sold it to me, also a bit of a sale)

I'm far from a great surfer or kitesurfer, but they are noticeably better than the 5.8ish firewire I was borrowing when I was learning. Maybe that's because I got better, but I think it's a significant difference.

Also, I think the Tomo Vgard is a big level above the Trex. I just have a blast on it. I was riding my TRex this summer at the Gorge, so as to protect my Tomo, but switched to the Tomo after a week and was like "WHOA!". And I rode the Vgard on swell at Rufus and Manzanita waves. So now, I'm extra careful w the Tomo but ride it first, even over my booted Tona board (which is awesome too), but as I've gotten strapless airs more consistent it makes the strapless riding that much better than rolls and such on a booted board.

Can't say enough about the Tomo.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 04, 15 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

I have been riding a 5'8 Celeritas for a couple years now, strapless on the river and strapped in waves. I got a Slingshot Screamer in a 5'4" this year. The 5'4" is about right for me. I've also demoed the Firewire Vanguard in a 5', hoping it would be a good travel board (fits in a golf bag). The 5'0 Vanguard was too small for me. After reading Airon's comments I probably need to give the Vanguard a try again but in a 5'2.

As far as the benefits, the Screamer is really fun in the Gorge on high wind days. The light weight and no-nose design makes it fun for strapless airs. It's also feels more maneuverable and playful than the Celeritas, and cuts through the chop nicely. I'm not sure what it is about the Screamer design but it feels a lot like riding a snowboard to me. I prefer the Celeritas in lighter wind and surf (I don't go over head-high), but I think that's mainly because of the higher volume and lower rocker of the Celeritas.

Overall, I'm not sure the chopped off nose makes nearly as much difference as other aspects of board design such as rocker, volume, construction, fin pattern etc. I would say the main advantages are lighter weight and swing weight for tricks, easier for travel. Main disadvantage is that a chopped off nose board doesn't look nearly as cool as a traditional design, and maybe you are a bit more likely to catch the nose and pearl dive with the snub nose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: