Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cabrinha kite Sprint tube/collar repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostTue Oct 27, 15 9:51 am    Cabrinha kite Sprint tube/collar repair Reply with quote

2015 kite. The tube came apart. Anyone repair one of these themselves? Advice?

thanks!
cathy

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Oct 27, 15 10:01 am     Reply with quote

Picture please? Are you talking about the octopus rubber tubes that connect from the leading edge bladder to the inflatable struts? If so, it is a simple repair, purchase new rubber tubes of similar/the same diameter. Cut new length of tube to the same length as you are replacing and cinch on new snap-ties on both connection points. Cut excess snap-tie ends AND MAKE SURE to file down the cut end so it is smooth and or place a small amount of duct tape on the end. If not, your kite fabric will get shredded.

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostTue Oct 27, 15 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

This piece. Use the self locking nylon snap ties used for electronics?

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 1.57.08 PM.png 

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 27, 15 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

Check you kite bag, lots of kites come with replacements for those tubes. It's very easy fix just make sure to secure the ends with a zip tie like Sasquatch mentioned. I've done that many times (none of the tubes ever failed for me but I had to remove bladders a bunch of times, and to do that I had to remove those tubes and put them back on after fixing the bladder).

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Oct 27, 15 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

cathy o. wrote:
This piece. Use the self locking nylon snap ties used for electronics?

Disassemble, take a look at what is used and try to use the same thing when fixing. That pic of yours isn't very good. It appears that they use a sleeve for a barrier between the snap-tie and the kite.

Yes, the plastic snap-ties that are used to organize cables, pipes. Also used from detaining fugitives at large etc etc.

ALSO make sure the cinch point is far enough back on the value so there is some wiggle room. Not that one wants any wiggle room...probably 1/4 to a half inch (pull rubber tube onto the smaller tube as much as you can; leave some margin).

Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Oct 27, 15 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 27, 15 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Those stupid things always come off on Cabrinha kites. It's happened to me so many times where someone lands the kite and inadvertently pulls the black tube off the connector. The best way is as Sasquatch described to reattach the rubber tubing and use a zip-tie (maybe some call them snap-ties) to hold the tubing onto the connector.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Nov 10, 15 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

I heard the 16s have a new valve on the strut that allows for the zip tie to seat down nicely.
I was in maui and had a couple of those come off in the boneyard. It really sucked.

You think Cabrinha will replace them? With the 2016 valves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: