Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hooking in with Ride Engine Harness.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 14, 15 7:56 am     Reply with quote

dwaynej wrote:
I have the Dynabar and in their documentation they recommend the use of two rings to better distribute the load. The configuration in the picture below is just one of many configurations where you can move from sliding to hooked while on the water.

I like this idea of 2 rings.
Anyone have experience popping the quick release with the rings? Under duress when they had to - not standing on the beach in perfect conditions.
I could see the CL getting hung up.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Oct 14, 15 10:26 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
dwaynej wrote:
I have the Dynabar and in their documentation they recommend the use of two rings to better distribute the load. The configuration in the picture below is just one of many configurations where you can move from sliding to hooked while on the water.

I like this idea of 2 rings.
Anyone have experience popping the quick release with the rings? Under duress when they had to - not standing on the beach in perfect conditions.
I could see the CL getting hung up.

If you use the ring they provide to hook your leash - then I would use two rings. Some guys will even weld them together. Or you can get a thicker, stronger ring from West Marine. It is a cleaner setup and has plenty of strength. It slides nice, and I used mine 3 seasons before I had to change my slider rope. The rope eventually frays.

I have released the safety many times with various kitemares and other overpowered situations, in ocean and river, and the chicken loop never gets hung up on the ring. Because I have to use the safety to attach and unattach - I am not shy about using my safety at the slightest hint of trouble.

Here is a video of the slider and hook combo in action. He is using the double rings. He has more slack in his rope than I normally use. I like to have my bar closer to my body giving me a bit more throw. Customize to your preference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2RFCVf28Y

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Oct 18, 15 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

Ok, we have gone over the ring part, now, how about an overview of the harness itself.
Comfort and support mainly, looks narrower than other harness on the market.... please advise.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 19, 15 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Lineman - it's a game changer compared to other waist harnesses.
When I'm on the water and kiting - it disappears from my mind - I'm not even aware that I have it on - it's that comfortable.

Toeside riding is great with the slider rope setup.

The supporting bulge that fits into the small of your back keeps the harness in place - it won't slide sideways or ride up - not one bit.

With my old harnesses I was always pulling them down or pushing them around every time I changed direction.

Comfortable, supportive, doesn't slide up on you. A huge improvement.

P.S. - my waist is smaller than my chest. I can't say how it will work for other types of physiques.

Last edited by ldhr on Mon Oct 19, 15 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 19, 15 8:37 am     Reply with quote

I demo'ed one for about 2 hours during the KB4C event and it was not a pleasant experience. By the end of the session I was in pain. The harness dug into my ribs near the spreader bar.

I mentioned the issue to the representative and he said this is a known issue for certain body types (I am short and stocky).

The representative said they were fixing the issue before production starts. They were rounding the hard edge that caused the pain.

I actually contacted Ride last week asking if they were going to have any future demos because I was hesitant buying one based on the demo. They said they weren't doing any demos. They also said a used harness can not be returned if you don't like it.

There are a good number of good reviews for the harness unfortunately I had a different experience. Granted I was on the preproduction harness.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 19, 15 8:57 am     Reply with quote

JohnB. or anyone else. We have Ride Engine demo models here in the store. Drop by anytime.

Important to note that the fit on a Ride Engine harness is to be tight. It's not a harness you want shifting around. The best fit is a tight fit.

I also agree with Ryan, give it a shot as it's set-up stock, and then customize later if needed.

Dave
Windance Boardshop

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 19, 15 10:20 am     Reply with quote

yup, tighter is better if you are riding with the rope on the Engine. Also, most of you are good riders so I feel a bit silly saying this but if it is rubbing in the front, you might think about body position when riding and keeping your back arched a bit. You know, shoulders back, hips forward....

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 19, 15 11:31 am     Reply with quote

Good to know I can demo one before buying.

I had the representative fit the harness to make sure I had it adjusted correctly. I had it tight and it didn't move; that wasn't the problem.

Ride also said you can not run a slider rope with the fixed hook like I do with the Jay bar. I really like this set up so I will probably stick with a harness that allows dual set up.

runaway

Since 31 Aug 2010
66 Posts
Anchorage

PostSun Nov 01, 15 10:54 pm    show and tell pic of mine..works fantastic Reply with quote

I actually cut down the bar inside and pad to custom fit and then spliced it with epoxy and metal.. but a 10" dakine would have been perfect. I already had the 12" which is actually like 17" long or something . This particular clevis is a bit big but it was only $7 bucks at lowes and the chicken loop slides out easy. I would consider a snap carabiner but it adds more length. after you tie the knot..burn ends and slip into pad with a screw driver...USE DYNEEMA 1/4" !!
I ride with board short harness so travel almost all the way to my hip/side is preferred

Slider (1).JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Slider (1).JPG
 Filesize:  1.29 MB
 Downloaded:  897 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Slider (2).JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Slider (2).JPG
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Downloaded:  938 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Slider (3).JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Slider (3).JPG
 Filesize:  964.4 KB
 Downloaded:  826 Time(s)

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 02, 15 7:44 am     Reply with quote

Windance Crew wrote:
JohnB. or anyone else. We have Ride Engine demo models here in the store. Drop by anytime.

Important to note that the fit on a Ride Engine harness is to be tight. It's not a harness you want shifting around. The best fit is a tight fit.

I also agree with Ryan, give it a shot as it's set-up stock, and then customize later if needed.

Dave
Windance Boardshop

If we can't demo before we buy, what do you think about sizing? Are they already sized to be snug so if I'm a Large in a Dakine harness would I be a Large in this one?

I know you can't say for sure. I was thinking of getting a large Engine with the standard bar (not the shorty). 36" waist, 185 lbs, tall.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 02, 15 9:11 am     Reply with quote

I have about 10 days with the harness. There are two items to NOTE.
The harness does take a little time to get acquainted with. For me it was after the second session before my body and harness become one.

Also, I would agree completely with the above statement.

" The supporting bulge that fits into the small of your back keeps the harness in place - it won't slide sideways or ride up - not one bit. "

I will never go back to another old style harness.

Also, I'm hooked in directly from the CL to the rope. No issues and excessive wearing at all.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 02, 15 9:43 am     Reply with quote

If we can't demo before we buy, what do you think about sizing? Are they already sized to be snug so if I'm a Large in a Dakine harness would I be a Large in this one?

I know you can't say for sure. I was thinking of getting a large Engine with the standard bar (not the shorty). 36" waist, 185 lbs, tall.[/quote]

I think I demoed a large harness with a short spreader bar. The representative that was fitting the harness couldn't get the harness tight enough with the large spreader bar so he swapped out to the short spreader bar.

I am 5'8" and about 210 lbs. I currently wear a large Manera harness so it seems the sizing is similar to other brands.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 02, 15 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Hey Toddjb,
I think you are a large.
I also am a 34" waist and the large fits me well.
If by some chance we are wrong you can always return an item after using it once for exchange or refund.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 03, 15 6:58 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 03, 15 10:05 am     Reply with quote

Hey Dave. I stopped by your store and I fit into a medium with room to expand. I have always worn large and a small xl and with the ride engine the sizing is small. I am a solid 35 inch waist and I fit a medium well with room to out a wet suit on. Don't get suckered in to the old sizing. You don't want this to ride up and most people are used to lose sizing. I would say you could fit a medium and would be happy so it's locked In to your back. Just my 2 cents. Definitely try. That sizing was with the hex for. I have not tried the team series get which is what I am going to go to !!

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 03, 15 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Dog,

It is personal preference, so get what works for you. You are right about wanting it tight.
Ride Engine says a Large fits waist size 37-39" but I like the Large for my svelte 35" waist.
I like the inner harness to wrap around my waist a little, as pictured.

[img][/img]

We have a Large & a Medium in the demo program now.

Dave

jayala

Since 30 Apr 2013
115 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Nov 07, 15 7:21 am    waist harness Reply with quote

Besides fashion and lower back comfort is there a technical reason to use a waist harness over a seat harness? Does a waist harness help jibe a directional?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: