Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Info for extended time in Ventana/Los Barriles
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Nov 01, 15 8:13 am     Reply with quote

yes, Constitution is a piece of work and it is just luck whether you get tagged or not. We just drove down and had no problems anywhere. Road is is really good shape and the only "detour" worth mentioning is right in Tecate. As you go through the border the road is closed in front of you with no signs anywhere, of course, as you are now in Mexico. Bienviendos! If you go left it will get ugly fast. Go right about 2 blocks and look to the left for the street that goes thru the construction. Easy after that.
Warm, sunny and windy yesterday. 10M and small waves to play on, nice.
come on down, it will only get better for a few months....

TCKiter

Since 28 Oct 2015
2 Posts
Tri-Cities, WA

PostMon Nov 02, 15 10:58 am     Reply with quote

We were driving a van with a Thule box on top, so yeah we looked like Gringos.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSat Nov 21, 15 7:23 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
But, I gotta say that Ciudad Constitution is in a league all it's own. You need to be very careful and plan on getting worked in the town. This is well documented many many times over the years on the forum BajaNomad.com, and well as Facebook.
It's a go nowhere town with no resources in the middle of a desert. They gotta get revenue somehow.
Kip, agree with your overall assessment of CC. However, disagree with your comment "It's a go nowhere town ...". It's actually a bustling community surrounded by an agricultural zone which I assume is the major source of revenue for the town (I mean besides the Policia mordida). Many mechanicos and welders, etc available if you breakdown.

Also, while I feel your pain re your bad experience while passing through CC - it's for sure not a certainty for every hapless gringo. In my case, I have driven though CC and Hwy 1 and 3 through Baja at least 20 times since 2003 without incident. Never stopped by a cop once - anywhere. Maybe just blind luck?

I have had a cop stop to ensure I was A-OK while stopped beside the road - but always courteous and no hassle. Once two cops stopped while I was dumping grey water from my RV beside the road and I thought for sure they would nail me - but no, no problema - and they went on their way.

But sure there's some bad guys out there and the CC Policia appear to be a den of thieves ripping off gringos - but some of us somehow slip through their "drag-net". Just follow the advice given on this thread and you'll very likely be good to go. Feliz viaje! Rob

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 23, 15 3:18 am    Four times, no problems Reply with quote

There's a lot of discussion on here that makes me think that a) things have gotten way worse down there in the past two years, or b) luck has a lot to do with how thing go.

I have driven Tijuana to Cabo four times. I have never been stopped, pulled over, hassled, or needed to bribe anyone. Additionally, I have spent a few months each year in Los Barilles with side trips to La Ventana, La Paz, Cabo and all over the southern part of BCS from Muleje south and have never had any problems. We pay off the local police force once per year in Los Barilles for their annual "Christmas Party", which is usually a once yearly 100-500 peso donation. The rest of the time they are super friendly in my experience, and let gringos get away with open containers, driving intoxicated, driving recklessly and being irresponsible on ATVs and other motorized vehicles.

A few things that I think really help in a tight situation:

1) Speak spanish, or don't. If you do, lead with that and show them you're totally local, that you've done it lots, that you "know" the game. If you don't, don't try. Play the gringo card and show them you mean business by being friendly, playful, and maybe offer them a Coke. Keep in mind that these guys make very little, so you being nice is the best incentive they have to not stealing your money from you. I haven't heard/ seen of the "take their photo" technique, but I think that leading with that is a bad idea as it will likely escalate rather than deescalate the situation.

2) Put all your valuables away. Don't roll around with an iphone, ipad, nav system and camera on the front seat, or even visible. These things say, "I've got money" and these guys know it. Put them away any time you're going through a checkpoint or think you might encounter the local policia before you do. Put them out of view, under the seat or in the glove box.

3) Expect to be stopped every 100km or so by the Mexican army checkpoints, more up north than down south. They are large military looking establishments that have a system of gates and young soldiers who will stop you randomly and ask you questions (again, speak Spanish or nothing at all), sometimes search your vehicle (valuables out of sight) and mostly do nothing. This can feel sketchy and weird, but I've never had a problem, and it seems like many problems that are caused are generally misunderstanding. The most common is "Dude, we stopped by the military and they made us give them money to get through." The soldiers would say, "Can you believe we asked to see what was in their trunk to look for drug trafficking and they gave us $500 pesos?! Stupid tourists." Go with the flow, don't get defensive and don't start with the bribe.

4) I've never actually done the caravaning thing, but there is safety in numbers. There is ALSO safety in not getting noticed. Going with three huge vehicles piled up with tons of surfboards, masts, rocket boxes, gear, 5th wheels and expensive looking things will get you noticed, guaranteed. Being with a bunch of other people is safer for violent crime I suppose, but also makes things escalate quickly in a bad situation. You'll see a lot of people headed south with huge fifth wheel trailers (mostly Texas license plates and 50+ drivers) and I always wonder if they are the folks who are always being held up or extorted in Baja...

5) Know when to fold. Sometimes I guess you gotta fold, so give them $20US and cut your losses. I've never had to, but maybe sometimes you do. Have a folded up $20 hidden deep somewhere other than your wallet so they can't see you are only giving them $20 of the huge stack of bills you're bringing down to avoid the ATM fees.

Best of luck. Wishing you a safe and happy drive. Baja is a wonderful place and hopefully you'll have smooth sailing.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 23, 15 6:48 am    Re: Four times, no problems Reply with quote

jblum wrote:
Four times, no problems ...
X2! Outstanding post - totally agree.

However, I've never seen the "system of gates" (lol!) at a military checkpoint - nothing nearly that sophisticated - instead just a fat rope tope laying in the road to encourage you to stop. And when there is the occasional "inspección" (mostly only when driving northbound) it is laughable - usually just opening my refer and a couple of cabinet doors in my RV. Seems they are just bored and curious. Again, never had a problem.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Dec 19, 15 5:59 am     Reply with quote

Been reading on Bajanomad where folks have found sticking this on your car is foolproof:

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Dec 19, 15 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

and where does one get these "get out of jail free" cards?

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 23, 15 10:25 am    Sindicatura Reply with quote

No idea where to obtain the sticker- but I suppose you could print the image and tape it on your rear window ...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78099#pid969895

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: