Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Glide as a beginning board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Jan 29, 07 3:05 pm    Glide as a beginning board? Reply with quote

I am helping a friend who is just getting in to the sport buy his gear and I was wondering if the SS glide a good board for a beginner. It would be nice if he could buy a board to start with and then keep it as a light wind board.

Also, does anyone know how North's Sumo board compares to the Glide for beginners?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 29, 07 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

Both my wife and I learned on my glide. I think a lot of people in Seattle learned on a Glide at Jetty Island. It's so easy to go upwind. Some people have trouble with it in the chop, I just developed really strong legs.

Mine is for sale btw:
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-3762.html

(I replied to this on the Seattle forum too)

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Jan 29, 07 7:50 pm     Reply with quote

I would recommend a more universal big twintip for a first board unless you're planning on just riding in light wind while learning. Otherwise I'm sure the Glide will work as well.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jan 29, 07 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

I would say the glide is an awesome first board, especially if you can grab one used.

Hardest things to learn when you start are:
- getting up
- riding upwind
- not sinking when you transition

Glide does awesome at all those. I know its not a Cadillac in chop, but there will always be trade-offs.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostTue Jan 30, 07 4:52 am     Reply with quote

as a lightwind board the glide is a great plank to have in the arsenal.. but i'd say a more versatile board would be a better buy for a beginner. Chop and the glide dont get along too well .. and for a new rider you'd want something a bit more adaptable to changing conditions.

if you can get a used one cheap.. then ya.. it will be fine.. but I'd say you can get 2 quality used boards for the same as one new Glide.

I just picked up 2 skywalker boards.. got the 2007 models of the 131 and lightwind 135 and i am so beyond stoked with these. the 131 would be a GREAT beginner board for most ..

I can hold down the 135 in heavy chop in 25 to 30.. !!!

Skywalker also makes their Riders series which are geared towards new riders.

Also.. Take a look at the Aggression Super Phatty.. its WIDE and does tons better in multiple conditions.

also.. the new BEST Chubby is sweet. nice and wide.. perfect for beginners.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jan 30, 07 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for their input Very Happy its totally appreciated!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: