Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

February in Cancun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Marcp

Since 24 May 2010
32 Posts

PostTue Sep 29, 15 7:44 pm    February in Cancun Reply with quote

Business trip in Cancun 1st of February. I researched kiting spots and both Playa Del Carmen and Isla Blanca seem like great spots. Both over an hour away. Has anyone kited there and kited right in Cancun along hotel row? Seems like the beach set-up would be similar rather than driving up east or west of Cancun.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Marcp

Since 24 May 2010
32 Posts

PostTue Sep 29, 15 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

Just found Wet and Wild Beach just down the road from hotel row.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 29, 15 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

Cancun is hit or miss. It can be great, it can be dead, and the wind forecast can change dramatically with little notice.

Isla Blanca: I did a big write up on Isla Blanca a few years ago. Search Isla Blanca under my posts. Long story short, great flat water spot, but you need some local knowledge. (Obtainable at one of the launch spots--Ikarus Kiteboarding.)

Hotel Row: Mostly choppy, but can get some good small swell if the wind is over 20. the break stays very close to shore. If the wind is dead on shore, it can be difficult to get out because of all the swimmers. Under those conditions you need to get out early before people are swimming. Downwinders can be fun, bring money for a cab back. Rinse off ALL of the sand before you look for a taxi, they won't want to give you a ride if you don't. Even if you rinse, you'll probably need to ride in the trunk. Smile I've done that many times. Smile

I've heard good things about Tulum, but haven't ridden there.

If I bring one kite, it's a 17M Turbine. Two kites I add a 12m. I've wished for a 9m once. That's just been my experience, I go the first week of May every year. I've gone in February twice and been almost skunked. On Hotel Row I stay at Golden Parnassus, it's a good launch spot. Not all hotels on the row have enough beach to launch & Land.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 29, 15 8:09 pm     Reply with quote

Marcp wrote:
Just found Wet and Wild Beach just down the road from hotel row.

Plus, Golden Parnassus is adult only... Very Happy And Kite friendly...

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 29, 15 8:10 pm     Reply with quote

I have never kited Cancun but I’ve kited at Playa del Carmen and Tulum numerous times all at the start of Feb. Tulum is more of a drive (like 2hrs) but worth it as I think the wind is marginally better plus its just a really beautiful place to kite. You can kite right in front of Maya ruins. There is also a really cool lagoon in Akumal that has incredible snorkeling.

The wind tends to be light onshore at both spots. 12M and up, for sure bring a 14M or even 17M if you are over 200lbs. I would also bring a bigger board. On two days the north winds came which are much stronger and I was lucky enough to have a 9M.

I also noticed that the wind is best right at dawn or at the sun is going down. I had some my sessions hung over as S at 5am.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 29, 15 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

jerp wrote:
I had some my sessions hung over as S at 5am.

+1 Very Happy

Yeah, light wind is more likely. I forgot to mention my first choice board would be a Glide or a surfboard. I ride my Glide 4 times for every time I get on my Mako.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 29, 15 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

I had a big SS misfit.... highly recommend the best breeze by the way but that could be a whole other thread Very Happy

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 30, 15 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Tulum is #1 choice. Onshore winds with small-midsized waves. It's worth the drive at least once, If there's no wind plenty of other things to do.

Isla Blanca is fun. Offshore winds and flat water. Many stingrays so do the shuffle when walking. Be careful when driving along the beach. Stay close to the waterline where the sand is firmer but be weary of the mini rivers as they can be soft. Hit them fast and keep moving. I might recommend buying a shovel and some short 2x6's for the drive in case you get stuck.

Never tried to kite Cancun, but one day when I came back from Isla Blanca it was rippin at Cancun. I wish I had stayed home and just enjoyed the local wind. So it can happen... Just not very often.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Sep 30, 15 9:59 am    Perfect growing conditions for seaweed explosion Reply with quote

FYI. . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/14/paradise-lost-caribbean-beaches-face-a-massive-seaweed-invasion-ahead-of-winter-tourism-season/

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 30, 15 10:50 am    Re: Perfect growing conditions for seaweed explosion Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
FYI. . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/14/paradise-lost-caribbean-beaches-face-a-massive-seaweed-invasion-ahead-of-winter-tourism-season/

that is terrible and quite ugly. what a way to ruin a nice sandy beach. mother nature at work!!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Sep 30, 15 1:43 pm    Re: Perfect growing conditions for seaweed explosion Reply with quote

jerp wrote:
The wind tends to be light onshore at both spots. 12M and up, for sure bring a 14M or even 17M if you are over 200lbs. I would also bring a bigger board. On two days the north winds came which are much stronger and I was lucky enough to have a 9M.

My exact same experience when I stayed in Tulum in 2013 by the Sian Ka'an biosphere. Smaller onshore waves but it blew everyday. However, that seaweed bloom article is brutal. Can you imagine dropping your kite/lines in that? No gracias mi amigo! Laughing

Dog Patrol wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
FYI. . .

what a way to ruin a nice sandy beach. mother nature at work!!

Nope....that's mankind giving our Mother yet another Cosby cocktail. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: