Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

When's a good time to visit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostFri Jan 26, 07 12:02 pm    When's a good time to visit? Reply with quote

Heya ..

I'm an Oregon native living in Florida for the last 6 or 7 years..
my dad lives just down the road from the gorge and I'm planning a trip out there .. thinking spring or early summer.. but really just looking for whats the best time to come out.

I'm mostly into flat water riding.. not really into hitting the coastline.. thinking the river would be my destination.

I've got access to a smaller campervan and would like to stay in the local area for most of the trip and just kiteboard my days away.

Campgrounds nearby?

Any suggestions? Please send them my way.

Whens the best, most consistent winds? Whats the water/air temp in those conditions? Kite recommendations for 200lb rider? thanks!!

Bryan
St. Petersburg, FL

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Jan 26, 07 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

June, July, August

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 26, 07 3:38 pm    Campgrounds Reply with quote

Viento and Memaloose, both are on the tracks, so they are loud. Tucker Park is cool, but a little ways from the river.

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 26, 07 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

I have stayed at Viento and it was not too bad. Then again I snore Laughing Laughing

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostFri Jan 26, 07 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

Maryhill his the best park in the gorge for amenities with water access. Great downwinders to the Wall/Rufus for waves. Roosevelt will allow overnight camping but has little for amenities. there are a few campgrounds just west of Stevenson as well.

yup, June, July August.

my vote is for July for best wind, water temp is good. August can go into several days of no wind if Portland gets hot.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostMon Jan 29, 07 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Thanks All..

I'm going to book for July.

I am sure I'll hit folks up again once it gets closer.. Want to ensure I know all the best spots to ride for my skill level (moderate intermediate) and go from there..

-Bryan

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 29, 07 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

Jones Beach! You can camp right there and there is what has to be the biggest accesible beach on the river. (You can drive right up to where you launch on the sand.) Reliable winds too. It's also not too far from the ponds in Astoria. (Flat water.)

Nak

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 30, 07 5:11 am     Reply with quote

Bryan,

I've been hitting the Gorge for 8 summers straight now to get away from
our horrific summers here in FL and I'll tell ya , the BEST time to go for sure is during July.
Lori and I are hitting it up again last two weeks of July
this year. I think Dr. Bruce and one or two others may go from here as well.
My weight is also 200# and use my 9m bow in Hood River 80% of the time and maybe 12m the other 20%. Although , some years are not normal and may have me super blasted on the 7m 20% of the time instead of the 12m. Perfect board is between 130-150, 140 prolly best.
During July expect 8-9 out of ten days kiteable, alot of times though I've got 10/ 10 especially if the heat wave doesn't hit Portland like it did last year ( only 5/10 ). But thats not normal.

Shorty is all you'll need, air in the 70-80's and water in the mid-low 60's unless you hit Lyle, the klickitats darn cold or the coast, then you'll need a 4/3 fullsuit.
Most of the spots are a mix of choppy water with a few flat water sections.
A good flat water section is downwind of the spit but it can get a bit crowded sometimes just like the Skyway , you gottta watch out for a few kooks or learners in the shallows flat water area.
I just keep it simple and launch at the spit then upwind it to the Hatch / swell city and a few secret spots? a mile or so upwind to get away from crowds windsurfing but there's plenty of space since they stay in a tight pack.
As far as close by places to camp, I've stayed at Memalose , a few miles west. crowded sometimes.
Never stayed at Viento about 5 miles west, seems alot less crowded.
My favorite is to go to the many campgrounds up close to mt. Hood like routson, Tucker, Sherwood, Tollbridge. Are all about 20-30 miles on the road going up the mountain towards Hood. Never Crowded usually, much cooler and deep in nature.
Of course there's always free camping behind the Walmart Laughing
One thing I discovered on my last trip last July, camping and kiting on the coast! Pure Nirvana! Very Happy

R

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: