Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Spreader Bar Hook broke off?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Aug 22, 15 12:48 pm    Spreader Bar Hook broke off? Reply with quote

Was out kiting stevenson thursday, went out made two tacks and wham bar just explodes off my harness, thought at first maybe chicken loop came undone or I hit the release. Anyway pull myself back to bar at this point kite inverts, bar is all twisted, go into self rescue mode, get back to shore to find that the hook on my spreader bar snapped off at the weld. Pyro harness only a few years old, thinking they will give me a replacement spreader bar.

Guy on beach told me that he heard this happen to someone the day before, wasn't sure brand. First time I've heard this or seen it happen.

Anyone have this happen to them?

I guess I need to check the welds every so often for stress cracks. Man the last thing I would have thought to check.

Thanks to Joe for grabbing my board, one less thing to worry bout when rescueing. And also to Joe for offering to lend me a bar and harness and said get back out there on the water (my bar was spaghetti)! Owe you beers!

hook 002.JPG 
   hook 001.JPG 
   hook 006.JPG 

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 22, 15 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

My old mystic harness straigtened the hook on a gust up at the hatchery a few years ago. Took me a couple times to get back out if the water when it happened. Had to pretend I was back behind a boat and had my first introduction to riding unhooked back to the the sandbar. It was weird landing a kite not hooked in!!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSat Aug 22, 15 4:39 pm    Re: Spreader Bar Hook broke off? Reply with quote

beefcake wrote:
First time I've heard this or seen it happen. Anyone have this happen to them?

I have 2 Dakine hooks hanging in my garage and a few other friends have all snapped at least one. My experiences went exactly as yours; thinking the chicken loop released but actually reeled in the hook still dangling from the donkey. Then, as Dog Patrol stated, the shit show begins trying to get back to the beach and land all unhooked. The experience will glaringly highlight your lack of arm strength real quick. Smile

My 2014 Dakine Hammerhead spreader has an extra welded crossbar running across the bottom to support the hook bars, so it's a little beefier than the old style, but next time I'll just get something like this Neil Pryde Raven spreader and call it done as it should last forever. http://www.bigsurfshop.com/product/s1-neilpryde-windsurfing-spreader-bar/

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 22, 15 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

At this point we can't rule out foul play. Have you and your wife been getting along? Check receipts for recent hardware store purchases. ie hacksaw blades etc.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 22, 15 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

Metal fatigue. This will happen eventually on all bars. Broken four windsurfing over the years. Wondering what the usage was on the bar before breaking? Did you do a lot of jumping? Looking for the base line usage / time for replacing mine before that happens.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSun Aug 23, 15 6:18 am    O.R. Reply with quote

Ya ,
I had the same problem,
two broke
then I switched harness
5 years now
crossing my fingers as I write

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 23, 15 10:39 am     Reply with quote

haha beech, haven't ruled out foul play, we did just have our first child this past year so getting out is a bit tougher

Sounds like this is not uncommon, thx for the replies. Harness/spreader bar about 4 years old, maybe 5 now. get out an average of 20-25 days a years, so prob around 100 sessions total, each session about 2 hours. I know some get that many hours in one year, so not a lot of usage. I do however like to ride powered up and boost alot, so thinking that is what has caused metal fatigue.

I like Sella's recommendation on that Raven spreader, that may be the ticket, or just replace spreader bar every other year.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 23, 15 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

All is not lost. For a few $$ you can convert this to a sliding spreader bar and expand your gear choices. You can just use a stainless ring. No snap shackle needed. I would make the sliding line a bit longer than in this pic.

Bar slider.jpg 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 24, 15 6:50 am     Reply with quote

Paul,
I know that in my ADHD I have asked too many questions about this setup of yours... and promptly moved on. Looks like I can get all this from West Marine and try it on a spare spreader some day soon.
But, does the CL and Naish hardware fully release through that smaller snap clip without hanging? I realize that your red ball is now your release, but I prefer not changing old safety habits.
I'm especially seeing an increased need for a sliding hook while attempting to foil.
Thanks... and Janine persistently asks about "That salmon friend of yours" Smile It's her only interest in kiteboarding.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 24, 15 7:20 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Paul,
I know that in my ADHD I have asked too many questions about this setup of yours... and promptly moved on. Looks like I can get all this from West Marine and try it on a spare spreader some day soon.
But, does the CL and Naish hardware fully release through that smaller snap clip without hanging? I realize that your red ball is now your release, but I prefer not changing old safety habits.
I'm especially seeing an increased need for a sliding hook while attempting to foil.
Thanks... and Janine persistently asks about "That salmon friend of yours" Smile It's her only interest in kiteboarding.

I use the snap shackle for a bar with no QR. You just need a stainless ring. The downside is that you must activate your QR to put the CL through the ring at the beginning and end of your session. The upside is you will be a really good at reassembling your QR quickly and efficiently on the water.

The point is that those spreader bars with no hook still have utility that I think most would like once they tried it. I am not unhooking, so there is no need for a fixed hook.

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 24, 15 11:02 am     Reply with quote

That is a clever idea Salmonslayer, sounds like if you want to use the QR on your existing bar, just go with a SS ring and attach the chicken loop to the ring be engaging the QR and then reassembling.

How does the rope hold up over time, seems like it would get some wear from the ring sliding back and forth, including when boosting?

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 24, 15 11:27 am     Reply with quote

beefcake wrote:
That is a clever idea Salmonslayer, sounds like if you want to use the QR on your existing bar, just go with a SS ring and attach the chicken loop to the ring be engaging the QR and then reassembling.

How does the rope hold up over time, seems like it would get some wear from the ring sliding back and forth, including when boosting?

It holds up just fine. The fatter the gauge (terminology?) of the ring the less wear you will have on the line. In addition, it is very inexpensive to replace the line. It is not like you are buying a part from a kite manufacturer. A couple of dollars for Dyneema or similar is all it takes.

Adding a section of shrink tube on the tail of each knot keeps it clean.

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Aug 24, 15 11:53 am     Reply with quote

This is a mechanical design flaw. Huge amount of loading cantilevered on a weld. Those hooks were orginally designed for windsurfing.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 25, 15 7:58 am     Reply with quote

Ron of the Columbia City Crew had his hook break on his nitrous shorts a couple weeks ago. It was his first time riding after the nuking BOTG blowout. He did exactly the same thing... two tacks then it snapped. He rode unhooked from the Washington side back to pixie park.
I checked the bar on my nitrous shorts that I hardly ever wear. I noticed the welds were really undercut like they didn't use any filler rod when tigging.
I'll try and get a picture up, but, I always have a hard time getting them to post.

2015-08-25 10.29.54.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2015-08-25 10.29.54.jpg
 Filesize:  1.14 MB
 Downloaded:  435 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Last edited by Occupied Columbia on Tue Aug 25, 15 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Aug 25, 15 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Backing mine up either with a Carabiner around the spreader bar, or some old Depower line sewn into a loop around the bar and the cross reinforcement piece. May just be a good idea to carry a worn Depower line around on the harness.

Thanks for the heads up on this all. I thought only windsurfing hooks broke.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Aug 25, 15 10:34 am     Reply with quote

hooks break more often, with the new style of harnesses that lock into the spreader bars. like someone said, cantilevered beam.

old style, with webbing for spreader, allowed the whole spreader bar to pivot. downside, spreader in your ribs. upside, no breaking spreaders. downside, replace webbing each season. upside, sliding bar.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 25, 15 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

I carrier a paddle Carabiner (wider) for self launches at the beach that would work great as a temp hook.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: