Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Custom carbon fiber foil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skent

Since 08 Aug 2011
170 Posts
North Bend, WA & Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostWed Aug 19, 15 6:44 pm    Custom carbon fiber foil Reply with quote

Pretty cool video on a guy making a custom carbon fiber foil.

https://vimeo.com/136474166

CGKA Member

anders

Since 01 May 2012
107 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 20, 15 5:20 am     Reply with quote

Talk about custom. I just picture myself trying to build one and having it come out crooked and lopsided. lol

rhorton1

Since 25 Oct 2012
36 Posts
SoCal

PostSat Aug 22, 15 8:00 am     Reply with quote

I spent this past winter and spring working on a homemade foil. No video, but here are some pictures. I didn't have a vacuum pump, so I used a kite pump set to deflate and fashioned a vacuum reservoir out of some 3" pvc pipe and some valves from home depot! I made sure my vac bags were sealed up really tight, and came back every 30 minutes during the cure. Next time I tackle a project like this I'm just going to splurge for a real vacuum pump.

I'm spending the summer in San Diego and needed something to keep me busy during the long winter months. It turned out to be a much bigger project than I anticipated... and I didn't finish until April. I wish I had spent some time learning while I was still in Portland, because the light winds here make it that much harder to get going. Still haven't got the hang of it... but I'm making progress. Looking forward to coming back north in September and some good rides at Jones or Sauvie before the season ends.

IMG_3431.JPG 
   IMG_3258.JPG 
   IMG_3357.JPG 
   IMG_4325.JPG 
   IMG_4320.JPG 
   IMG_4319.JPG 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: