Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Safety...
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
simplelife

Since 06 Jul 2005
5 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 06, 05 4:09 pm    Safety... Reply with quote

Hello,

Newbie to this forum. The latest incident in Rufus inspired me to write this. I've watched kiteboarders in the area a few years ago and will be riding here before long. The folks over in the UK, in general, seem to be more organized and committed to public education/interface & safety. Local kiteboarding clubs abound and the BKSA, British Kitesurfing Association, seem to be rather pro-active(at least in theory). Riders generally need 3rd party insurance!? and must be trained by a qualified instructor, among other things. In some busier launch areas and on weekends -someone- often sets out four yellow flags in a rectangle on a beach.This rectangle marks out the area in which the kitesurfers can set up, launch, land and pack down their equipment. The area required by the kitesurfers can be increased or decreased depending on the numbers. The area can be moved further along the beach depending on weather conditions or number of other beach users. Obviously, these measures are not practical for most launching sites in the area, however, sites like Rufus, Sauvies, etc.. will for sure be shut down at some point due to inevitable bather/kiter collisions without some sort of pro-active response to organize somewhat. Common sense obviously aint gonna cut it...Is there some sort of organization in the area to represent kiters and interface with officials? I don't have answers, and really havnt done my research, but I'm returning home soon and am want to be able to kite at places like Sauvies and Rufus. The dialogue should continue...and a diffusion of responsibility should cease.
Cheers
Overseas

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostWed Jul 06, 05 10:41 pm    ... Reply with quote

we've hit this subject a few times (see post: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1418&highlight=#1418), here are a few things that will probably need to happen...

1. Someone with an interest for running an organization and the energy will need to step up and put some time into getting this organized.

2. Might be able to take a shortcut and see if anyone is still leading the Columbia Gorge Kiteboarding Association (i emailed them a couple of times through the Yahoo message board they run, but never got a response and it doesn't appear to be active)...

contact info listed with the State of Oregon for Columbia Gorge Kiteboarding Association:
http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.show_detl?p_be_rsn=987639&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=FALSE

3. Start a new association, which usually involves filing as a 501(C) with the IRS to be tax excempt and legit...it's a bit of paperwork, but usually necessary for insurance...at least so I've heard.

4. Insurance! IKO might do it - (http://www.ikorg.com/) PKRA also...(http://www.pkra.info/), others?

5. Get some safety gear and signs together for the spots that need it...of course that can be done right now by someone enterprising enough.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Jul 07, 05 7:18 am     Reply with quote

I'm in the process of quitting my job and I would be willing to put in the time to get this thing rolling. As we have all said, these incidents at Rufus over the past several weeks have brought the issue back on the front burner. Anyone else willing to help out??

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 07, 05 7:59 am     Reply with quote

I can help build and set the posts for the signs. . . have the tools, extra, plywood and treated 4''x4''s.

Signs can/should come from someone with graphic exp.. . hey Colby what up.

But someone should take the point for this project.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostThu Jul 07, 05 8:34 am    Association Reply with quote

I can help as well. How 'bout we kick-around a list of priorities on this thread. Then, once we've nailed them down, we can meet and figure out how we're gonna execute 'em.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Jul 07, 05 8:57 am    ... Reply with quote

cool! I'm guessing some spray paint and type stencils would be the cheapie route for the signs...I can do this once the signs are put together. I'm guessing something that won't blow over in the wind..maybe with hinges at the top like this pic?

Or as a shortcut, if anybody is in Real Estate and has the connections to get some signs put together on the cheap and customized, this may be worth considering also....we just need to write up the verbage, something like: PLEASE CLICK YOUR HEELS, TURN HALF WAY AROUND AND WALK DOWN THE BEACH THATA WAY! Wink

990906-1529.jpg 

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 07, 05 10:05 am     Reply with quote

I found this sign on another website, maybe everyone could throw in a few bucks and have a few nice signs like this one made to put up at the more popular beaches (Rufus, Sauvies, etc.) [/img]

Kiteboarding Safty sign.jpg 

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Jul 07, 05 10:12 am     Reply with quote

PERFECT! For print that small will have to do it custom anyhow...does someone have the signage connection? otherwise I can send out for a couple of quotes to local shops.

Here is a sign we are trying to avoid...

banned.jpg 

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Jul 07, 05 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

Before we simply start pounding some signs into the ground we need to schedule a meeting that is open to the public and include groups such as the Fish & Game, the Sheriff, Kiters, and non-kiters and gather as much input as possible. We must educate law enforcement and the community so that they understand what is going on. I think that its imperative to get law enforcement and the powers that be (i.e. the Army Corps of Engineers @ Rufus) engaged so that they understand kiting & how to safely disarm a kite.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Jul 07, 05 2:33 pm    ... Reply with quote

I propose to work both fronts and get the signs started ASAP while the summer zoo season is going into full effect. That way 3 months down the road when we get a meeting together with one of these groups we'll probably already have deterred a few kiting close calls or a family picnic wipeout, and at the same time the Sherriff's Dept., Corp. of Engineers, and general public will take us a little more seriously on being proactive and not being just about words.

just my .02 cents.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 07, 05 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

Check out this site for custom safety signs! Maybe we could start a donation pool for signage at a few agreed upon launch/ land areas. I would volunteer to manage donation funds...

http://www.safetysign.com/Custom_Signs.html

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Jul 07, 05 8:21 pm     Reply with quote

"Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"

No sign has ever stopped a determined
idiot from pursuing the Darwin award.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Jul 07, 05 9:11 pm    ... Reply with quote

hein, was this the sign that did it for you? Wink

stupidsigns.jpg 

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 08, 05 6:54 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
"Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

No sign has ever stopped a determined
idiot from pursuing the Darwin award.

True, but it just may keep your beaches open.

Penxa

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Jul 08, 05 7:03 am     Reply with quote

I would gladley donate money to the sign fund, I'm sure we could also get ASI & Gorge Performance to kick down. Do you guys think that we need to get this cleared by the fish & game? We don't want to send time & money on something they are going to pull out.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Jul 08, 05 7:50 am     Reply with quote

When you put up 'your' sign.
please put it down by the swim
beach so we can bonk off it.

And wrap our kites on it when
there is no one to give us a
catch.

Or maybe make it so we can
lay it down and use it as a
kicker.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Jul 10, 05 9:48 am    ... Reply with quote

lets not let this die...I'm out this next week getting married, so can't fit much kite business in. Will get back to it asap...good luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: